🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » My client will not close the contract? Help w...
Page options
12b2af00
Community Member

My client will not close the contract? Help with. unresponsive client?

I have a client that I did a job for on August 11th. I finished the job in 1 hour as agreed upon (hourly contract), deliverable was sent and accepted, and I sent along a link on how to close a contract (Upwork FAQ) when she asked if there was anything else she needed to do for this to be complete. Except, several days later, she hasn't closed the contract? I checked in with her on the 17th to see if I could do anything else for her or answer any questions and she said was a "newbie" and she "guessed I needed the contract ended so I can get paid" then asked how to do that. I sent her a screenshot of the Upwork FAQ directions to end a contract (from the link I sent before) and told her to let me know if she needed any further help, that I would do my best to walk her through. August 27, the contract is still open. I really hate being pushy, but I reached out one last time asking if she needed help again. What else can I do? Unfortunately, I'm at a state where the money is important to me and of course, I hate asking again and again because I don't want to annoy her...not sure what my next steps would be if she doesn't close it? Thanks in advance for any guidance.

5 REPLIES 5
wlyonsatl
Community Member

JG,

Newbie clients often need help understanding how Upwork works.

If the work done was under an hourly contract then Upwork will have released payment to you on the usual hourly contract payment schedule, which is about 10 days after the Sunday of the relevant Upwork work week ended (if you are not Top Rated).

Don't bother the client again. Just close the contract yourself after a month or so has passed with no further contact with the client.

williamtcooper
Community Member

JG,

Wait for Upwork to release the payment and then close the Project if it's no longer going to be used. Click the Academy link on the top of this page for more success TIPS. Thanks!

wlyonsatl
Community Member

William T C,

If the freelancer completed the work on August 11 then payment would have been made for the Upwork work week ended August 13, with payment actually released to the freelancer no later than August 23 (unless there was a payment problem).

Right?

yofazza
Community Member

After reading it, my guess is that the $22.5 is in the Available Tab or it has already been withdrawn. You might want to check this page as well.

Or probably not if there's a problem with the payment as Will said (where you should get some notices).

tlsanders
Community Member

Are you also a newbie? You will save yourself a lot of stress and be less likely to get scammed if you take a few minutes to learn how hourly and fixed price contracts and payments work. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members