cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help to get my first project i am really worried

Highlighted
Hamid R Member Since: May 25, 2015
1 of 17

I became member of oDesk. Since then I am a very active member I have skills are mentioned in my profile .but I am not getting any job.Can somebody look at my profile and tell me if I need to change anything....Please help me on this.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
2 of 17

It would help if you had a profile for people to look at.

An overview is not a profile.

Also change your picture to at least one where you are smiling.

Where are your job test scores?

Whare are your portfolio items. The http://zillionhub.com/ website belongs in your portfolio and not in your overview.

I'm not sure that saying " I am best Pakistani php web programmer." is very helpful to you when you have no Upwork experience. Why should people believe you. 

Basically where is everything else that belongs in your portfolio?

If that's all the effort you put into an overview and your profile I'd seriously be asking, "what's he going to do with my work when he can't bother to offer me full information"

When you have that done, come back here and people will review it for you. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 17

Hamid,

The site you said you created is just a broken domain name. There's nothing there.

Get rid of this list from your profile:

I have good command on:
php
php object oriented
mysqli
wordpress
MyBB
phpBB
c++ object oriented
HTML
HTML5
CSS
CSS3
Bootstrap
JavaScript
JQuery, ajax

Maybe when you have done a few jobs you can have a list like that, but not now.

For now, you need to focus on a very small set of technologies... just two or three things that you are best at.

Re-write your profile text so that it reads better. It is too choppy and there are too many capitalization errors and grammar errors. Ideally, have somebody who is a native English speaker re-write it for you. Don't try to do it yourself and don't use an automated translation program.

Remove this: "I am best Pakistani php web programmer."

That sounds like you're just making things up.

And you have no portfolio. If you were the best Pakistani PHP web programmer, you would have a portfolio showing things we've never seen before anywhere else.

Highlighted
Community Guru
4 of 17

re: "Also change your picture to at least one where you are smiling."

Well... maybe.

If you want to work for Americans, Canadians, Europeans and Australians, then, yes, you need to change your profile picture to one in which you are smiling.

But if you only want to work for people in your native Pakistan, then your photo is fine.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Sandra T Member Since: Nov 26, 2014
5 of 17

@Jean & Preston.

come one guys, really? What if someone said they wouldn't hire either of you because Jean looks like she is looking down on her clients and possibly trying to hide a double chin, while Preston looks like he doesn't feel like working at all, ever? 

Not being dead serious here, but I think that tiny picture is about the least thing people have to worry about in an international virtual market place...

Highlighted
Community Guru
6 of 17

Sandra,

I totally get where you're coming from.

YES, there was some hyperbole in what I said.

But we're not critiquing the photo of somebody who is already established on Upwork. This is a person who claims to have excellent credentials, yet has zero jobs and zero hour. I figure he can use all the help he can get.

Upwork tells us (here):

"Smile! (You’ll land more jobs)

Clients find smiling freelancers more warm, friendly, and trustworthy. Not used to smiling for the camera? Try pretending that you are greeting your best friend."

I figure they must have done some research on this topic, so I defer to them.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Iftikhar I Member Since: Mar 10, 2015
7 of 17

@ Preston

Upwork tells us (here):

I think Hamid is asking for the help and you know that Upwork has posted information like this but he is new comer and even dont know how to make a profile appealing.

"Smile! (You’ll land more jobs)

I will suggest Hamid as Preston thinks dont do any thing about your profile and qualifications just use a smiling face and and its done you will  land more jobs.

Highlighted
Community Guru
8 of 17

I agree with Preston. Upwork says to smile in your picture and I figure they are the experts. I'd hate to say what I think his picture looks like. As someone who does hire people and is currently trying to find someone, I find the pictures important. Did they take the time to present a friendly image? I've rejected people due to inappropriate pictures. To me is says they are not serious professionals.

But, you go with what you think Sandra and I'll stick with what I think. But...I am curious why you feel the need to tell people how old you are in your first sentence in your overview?

Highlighted
Community Guru
9 of 17

re: "I agree with Preston. Upwork says to smile in your picture and I figure they are the experts. I'd hate to say what I think his picture looks like."

LOL.

I can assure you that my picture is not unconsidered.

I spent a few days posing for pictures specifically for my Upwork photo, in multiple locations downtown. I went through over 100 photos and spent many hours choosing the photo you see in my current profile.

In my photo I AM smiling, but I am smiling slightly. It is easier to see the smile on my profile page where the photo is bigger, than in the small version of the photo seen in the community forum.

Let's just say that the particular message my photo conveys is NOT one that a BEGINNING Upwork contractor should attempt.

Highlighted
Community Guru
10 of 17

@Preston H wrote:

re: "I agree with Preston. Upwork says to smile in your picture and I figure they are the experts. I'd hate to say what I think his picture looks like."

LOL.

I can assure you that my picture is not unconsidered.

I spent a few days posing for pictures specifically for my Upwork photo, in multiple locations downtown. I went through over 100 photos and spent many hours choosing the photo you see in my current profile.

In my photo I AM smiling, but I am smiling slightly. It is easier to see the smile on my profile page where the photo is bigger, than in the small version of the photo seen in the community forum.

Let's just say that the particular message my photo conveys is NOT one that a BEGINNING Upwork contractor should attempt.

Oh dear. Preston, I was referring to the original poster's picture, not yours. You have a great picture Smiley Happy

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS