sheikin

Negative experience as employer and as freelancer on UPWORK

Here is my story:

Here is my Freelance profile https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~0110b645e7745ec172

Here is my Employer profile **Edited for Community Guidelines**

IStory started Ive hired a developer to work with me on my project.

So some reason (do not know why) it was team work contract. 

You will be surprised but within this contract, you will be charged for WEEKLY payment equals to 30 hours of contractors rate.

BTW weekly payment you CANT see over any report on UPWORK.

There is NO report to show it.

So, when my bank account was charged for $600 my bank decline this transaction because of monthly limit of internet transactions.

I was surprised by this activities on my back account. I've Asked my bank to decrease internet limit to $100.

Finally, UPWORK contact center found SOLUTION of HOW to CHANGE my contract with contractor into HOURLY base. I took me 3 days.

I had a deep breath.

Next day I tried to increase my monthly internet limit in my bank.

I WAS SURPRIZED that internet limit will be increased only in 7 days.

And my PROBLEMS become more serious:

UPWORK started sending me countdown emails about outstanding balance amount.

I told them many time to charge my freelance account because  I DO NOT HAVE ANY OTHER bank account and internet limit will be increased only on MONDAY 24 Oct.

But this Friday 21 Oct ALL MY UPWORK ACCOUNTS were SUSPENDED. 

Moreover, money on my freelance account were frozen as a guarantee.

SO, WHY YOU CANT CHARGE MY FREELANCE ACC ?????????

No one cares about your problems.

30 REPLIES 30
Anonymous User
Not applicable
This widget could not be displayed.

@Henry S wrote:

Here is my story:

Here is my Freelance profile https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~0110b645e7745ec172

Here is my Employer profile https://www.upwork.com/jobs/~01c22f3adb08fab69d

IStory started Ive hired a developer to work with me on my project.

So some reason (do not know why) it was team work contract. 

You will be surprised but within this contract, you will be charged for WEEKLY payment equals to 30 hours of contractors rate.

BTW weekly payment you CANT see over any report on UPWORK.

There is NO report to show it.

So, when my bank account was charged for $600 my bank decline this transaction because of monthly limit of internet transactions.

I was surprised by this activities on my back account. I've Asked my bank to decrease internet limit to $100.

Finally, UPWORK contact center found SOLUTION of HOW to CHANGE my contract with contractor into HOURLY base. I took me 3 days.

I had a deep breath.

Next day I tried to increase my monthly internet limit in my bank.

I WAS SURPRIZED that internet limit will be increased only in 7 days.

And my PROBLEMS become more serious:

UPWORK started sending me countdown emails about outstanding balance amount.

I told them many time to charge my freelance account because  I DO NOT HAVE ANY OTHER bank account and internet limit will be increased only on MONDAY 24 Oct.

But this Friday 21 Oct ALL MY UPWORK ACCOUNTS were SUSPENDED. 

Moreover, money on my freelance account were frozen as a guarantee.

SO, WHY YOU CANT CHARGE MY FREELANCE ACC ?????????

No one cares about your problems.

How does this work? According to your freelancer profile and your agency profile you are in Ukraine and according to your client profile you are in UK. Your payment method is not verified at the moment because the payment failed this time. Because of legal reasons payment for freelancers cannot be done with the earnings from the freelancer account. I suppose that your problems are slightly different than described in your post.

If Upwork would stop its practice of not verifying the details (real name and not one that sounds English, real company name, real address, VAT-ID or company registration number) of the clients (only the payment method is verified) and hiding the details from the freelancer those things could not happen anymore. If UW would stop tolerating farmers the platform could be much more trustable. Moreover, taxes and VAT are affected if the client/freelancer "lives" in a false country.

I suppose that your problems are slightly different than described in your post.

--> Margarete, could you let me know you thought in this case?

You referencing to legal....

Is it legal to block my freelance acc in this case?????

gerrys

Hard to deal at "arm's length" when both arms (client and freelancer) are connected to the same body.

Henry:

Take a deep breath and calm down.

I carefully read over your notes. I can assure you that everything is working fine according to Upwork's policies.

The problem is that you were not aware of some of Upwork's rules and policies.

Upwork does not want anybody to have two separate Upwork accounts. IF you have two separate Upwork accounts, then read the following paragraph:

When they found out that you have two separate accounts, suspending those accounts and freezing your financial assets is the normal course of action for them. Do not be alarmed by this. It is not a glitch. It is standard procedure. You will need to communicate with Customer Service to resolve this. The more that you confess to doing the wrong thing, the better your chances will be at getting this resolved amicably.

If you do NOT have two separate Upwork login accounts (separate password/user combinations), but you simply have a single account which has separate freelancer and clien profiles within it, then the above paragraph does not apply to you.

If you had a situation set up (whether intentionally or otherwise) by which weekly payments would be charged to your account, and then you limited the funds that can be withdrawn from your payment account, it would be normal for Upwork to suspend your account as a client, and to freeze your financial assets as much as possible. Once again, this is normal and is not a glitch or mistake. It makes sense, right? In Upwork's eyes, you agreed to make certan payments, you incurred charges, and then you tried to block access to those payments. They see a situation where a freelancer is now owed money by you, and you are attempting to block them (Upwork) from charging that money to your credit card.

As for getting Upwork to apply your freelancer earnings toward paying for fees incurred as a client: Upwork does not do this. There is no point in asking Upwork to do this. Their official stated reasons for not doing so are that they want to comply with certain regulations. But that has nothing to do with you. Don't ask why. It doesn't matter why. What matters is that you stop asking anybody at Upwork to help you do this. Because they get paid to NOT do this, and nobody is willing to risk losing their job to try to help you do this.

Preston, my point is:

- UPWORK treats my freelance acc as GUARANTEE of the outstanding amount of MY clients acc.

- UPWORK suspend my freelance acc just because they can't get paid

- UPWORK do no have flexible enough payment system to receive money from Payoneer, Moneybookers and any other

Yes, Preston, I do not understand basics of this activities with my freelance acc.

If they think that freelance acc is a guarantee - so when they will/gonna charge it?

What was the reason to block my freelance activities - for now, I cannot do anything: get paid, send application

What was the reason to CANCEL all of my opened interviews and sent applications as DECLINED BY ME?

So many questions....

The problem is that my bank will unblock my account on Monday. 

For now, I opened another acc via paypal and send money from my another payoneer card to upworks email.

So, will wait when they unlock me...

Thanks for your reply. 

@Henry S wrote:

- UPWORK suspend my freelance acc just because they can't get paid

LOL there are not enough DUHs for this post. Did you really think you'd screw them out of money and they'd let you use their system without bothering you? I mean duh... like super duh

@Henry S wrote:

For now, I opened another acc via paypal and send money from my another payoneer card to upworks email.

So, will wait when they unlock me...

Thanks for your reply. 

You did WHAT?  is that what you were asked to do by Support (I DOUBT IT!!!!!)

You likely made things worse rather than better......

Petra, upwork pushed me to do this

here you may find

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

@Henry S wrote:

here you may find

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

OK, you said you sent it by Payoneer...

It'll still take a couple of days (it's weekend) before it is sorted, and then we still have the issues with the location discrepancies where you lied about where you are and the problem with the payment method on file.

You did all of this to yourself I'm afraid....

Petra, 

Location. Now it's fixed I guess. The client was as UK company.

Is it a problem?

Payment...I sent it PayPall transaction ID to UPWORK.

So, awaiting confirmation...

And you know we all do multiple restricted thing even when we do no know that there is SOME rule and law or council restriction...

Am I right?

@Henry S wrote:

1) Payment...I sent it PayPall transaction ID to UPWORK.

So, awaiting confirmation...

2) And you know we all do multiple restricted thing even when we do no know that there is SOME rule and law or council restriction...

Am I right?

1) Yes, but remember to include the unique transaction ID and the email addy you sent it from on your ongoing support ticket, then give it a couple of days to be applied to your account as it will have to be manually fished out by the finance department first.

2) Well, I don't know about you, I try and inform myself of the rules and conditions, and accept that if I mess up I am responsible and can't go about blaming others...

choices and consequences

1) Yes, but remember to include the unique transaction ID and the email addy you sent it from on your ongoing support ticket, then give it a couple of days to be applied to your account as it will have to be manually fished out by the finance department first.

--> The problem is...I was expected to do this immediately...There is no reason for me to pay $30 for card activation... my bank will unlock my account on Monday ))))

I was thinking that finance dep works 24/7 ))) As many well know companies do )))

2) Well, I don't know about you, I try and inform myself of the rules and conditions, and accept that if I mess up I am responsible and can't go about blaming others.

--> LOL ...here is LEGAL agmt 

"Users further agree that Upwork has the right to take such actions with respect to their Accounts, including, without limitation, suspension, termination, or legal actions, as we, in our sole discretion, deem necessary to enforce our rights as a third-party beneficiary.

According to this they can delete my acc anytime ))) MATRIX ))))

Isn't it?

Of course they can. They can technically tell you that they just don't want to do business with you and cut you off. Nobody has to do business with anyone they don't want to.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

How many client and freelancer accounts and locations does "Henry" have now?

Margarete, there is only one Henry as freelancer and as client and as agency.

If there is different locations - I should have a look...maybe there was some issue

vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Henry, it looks like you missed the comment I posted so I'd like to ask you to check my previous comment and refer to the information our agents shared on your support tickets. In my reply I also directed you where you can find the payments you were billed on your Hourly contract.

Since all the information has already been shared and questions answered, please refrain from reposting your comments and refer to our Community Guidelines

Untitled
petra_r

When you hired your freelancer you set up a teambuilder contract and in the process you declared that you understand how this works and agreed to pay the freelancer a minimum of 30 hours a week for their work, regardless of how many hours a week you give them.

When you set up this contract you were specifically asked to declare that you understand that under tHIS particular contract model, you will be charged 30 hours minimum. You declared that you understand and agree.

Sort out your banking issues, and pay up. Then sort out the inconsistencies with your client and freelancer accounts, before you get banned from Upwork completely.

re: "No one cares about your problems."

I believe that people DO care about your problems. I think you'll find many people in the Community Forum care about your problems. And people working for Upwork care about your problems. I think that people want to help you resolve these problems, and they WILL help you. But it will require some patience and understanding.

Think of things from Upwork's perspective. Upwork employees and operatives are presented with certain tools and policies, and they're limited by those in terms of the actions they can take. Some of the things you are currently frustrated by are automatic. Some of the things you might prefer to see happen are not possible for Upwork operatives to actually do.

Petra, could you let me know in what report you can find weekly salary applied to this week????

@Henry S wrote:

Petra, could you let me know in what report you can find weekly salary applied to this week????

what do you mean "in which report?"

You can read up on what you agreed to here

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Petra R wrote:

@Henry S wrote:

what do you mean "in which report?"

You can read up on what you agreed to here

I remember that recently another freelancer with a teambuilder contract reported that the client did not want to pay the 30 hours per week, asked for a refund and wanted to change the contract in a more unfavourable hourly contract. This was similar to what happened here.

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Talent-Cloud-contract/td-p/239322

It seems that not all client handle this kind of contract in a fair way. At first Upwork helps them finding a suitable freelancer and later there is an "issue" with the contract and they do not like it anymore.

Ive hired contractor for 30 hour limit and $20 rate

$600 was a MAX amount I will be charged per 1 week...

I was thinking that UW shows me MAX amount...

BTW...you will be SURPRISED...

Once I ask support about what to do - they told me rehire contractor within new contract

But once I click HIRE within initial job posting a saw 30X$20 = $600 and words like here **Edited for Community Guidelines**

and there is no way OFF this feature....

Yes. I know you may tell me: see here : MINIMUM

BUT I've hired people few times and everything was clear....

so I EVEN DO NOT READ this section....

Just agree,,agree,, forward

vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Henry,

In case of Team Builder contracts the weekly limit can't be set below 30 hours per week as that is one of the two key criteria required for your job to qualify for this program. Please read this Help article for further clarification.

I'm closing this thread for further comments and would like to thank everybody who participated in this discussion, and provided information and guidance to the OP.

Untitled

Petra, do you know why CHARGEBACKs exist????

Because nobody cares about contracts and terms...and once people were charged - they as theirs banks to stop any thans and send money back....

@Henry S wrote:

Petra, do you know why CHARGEBACKs exist????

Because nobody cares about contracts and terms...and once people were charged - they as theirs banks to stop any thans and send money back....

Go RIGHT ahead. If you file a chargeback on Upwork your accounts (freelancer AND client) will be instantly suspended and Upwork sends the case to their debt collectors. Something else you agreed to as it is in the terms of service which you agreed to.

vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Henry,

I'm sorry to hear about the problems you're facing. I understand you're not unaware of Upwork's processes, ToS, platform mechanisms and also the requirements of the program you opted to participate in.

I see our team already addressed your questions and assisted you with resolving the issues with your Team Builder contract, payment method and account status through a number of tickets you submitted in the last two weeks. Please avoid creating additional tickets and communicate with our team through a single, existing ticket.

Please refer to the replies and resources our agents provided regarding the Team Builder program and your contract, your reports, specifically your Transaction History which is used to track payments you are billed for, acceptable billing methods and reasons why your freelancers balance can't be used for making payments on your client profile.

Untitled

Sorry, Vladimir...

the solution was to found. And really grateful to customer support team.

My story started there just because of initial problem - I DID NOT EXPECT TO BE CHARGED FOR $600 in addition to all hourly and fixed price contracts!!!!

THERE IS NO REPORT TO SHOW ME PLANNED SALARY PAYMENTS

@Henry S wrote:

THERE IS NO REPORT TO SHOW ME PLANNED SALARY PAYMENTS

For crying out loud, you declared that you understand that this is what you have chosen when you set up the contract.

Oh Petra....u r absolutely right....

Thanks to everybody for your suggestions and time spent on reading of my poor English.

UW unlock my account. 

Say cheese ))))

I hope next time will talk about something better )))