🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » New Account Sign UP
Page options
funkewoe
Community Member

New Account Sign UP

A colleague of mine tries creating a freelancer account but has been left frustrated. Together, we have tried on countless ocassions submitting and resubmitting the profile to no avail.

We have used varied combinations of skill sets but it still would not be accepted.

Has Upwork closed new freelancer registrations? If no, then what do we do to get this done, please?

He's ever ready to submit his ID for verification and authentication, if requested.

Please, help an Unemployed Graduate. 

Thank you.

13 REPLIES 13
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Has Upwork closed new freelancer registrations?"

For most people? Yes.

Hi Preston,

Thank you for the quick response.

Could you explain this further?

What kind of people, please?

Want to get this clear so we don't keep worrying ourselves updating and resubmitting.

Thank you.

Felix E.K. S wrote:

Hi Preston,

Thank you for the quick response.

Could you explain this further?

What kind of people, please?

Want to get this clear so we don't keep worrying ourselves updating and resubmitting.

Thank you.

Are you waiting to hear that they reject profiles from certain parts of the world?

Well, the official answer to that so far is, nope.

Albeit a lot of speculation on the contrary.

The approval/rejection, according to Upwork, is based on whether opportunities are available for that freelancer's skillset in the Upwork marketplace.

The only way for a freelancer to know if Upwork will accept or reject them, is to try signing up.

You can't know in advance as Upwork doesn't publish any list of overcrowded skillsets where they no longer accept applications.

abinadab-agbo
Community Member

- Upwork's raison d'être is not to "help" unemployed graduates.

- Your colleague should feel free to sign up on the many other freelance platforms waiting to accept them in open arms

- Note, btw, that in line with Upwork's TOS, "we" may not attempt to submit a profile for approval. Only the account owner is allowed to.

And yes, Upwork is still accepting new registrations. Only a small fraction of folks who sign up are accepted.

- Upwork is not known to listen to intercedings from existing freelancers on behalf of applicants who were rejected.

- Think of it this way, by rejecting your colleagues' profile early, they saved your colleague a lot of frustration down the line. Upwork did your colleague a huge favour! Thank Upwork!

Well, thanks for your response, @Abinadab A...

I cannot tell how long you have been freelancing but the truth is that the most secured and reliable freelancing site in the world is Upwork. I would rather you do not market their rivals on their platform.

I think upwork itself made it clear that you can update your profile and resubmit when it's rejected, and so I do not think your last comment holds.

I would rather go with Preston's reply.

Sorry but please, do not market Upwork's RIVALS on their own platform again... Smiley Indifferent

Felix E.K. S wrote:

Sorry but please, do not market Upwork's RIVALS on their own platform again... Smiley Indifferent

Given that your friend's profile has been rejected "countless" times, I don't think that Upwork will mind one bit if they try their luck with another website.

jithintv
Community Member

Upwork publishes list of " in demand skills " every quarter.

If your friend can learn and upskill himself with those skills quickly he might get accepted. 

Thank you, Jithin.

Any links to that, please?

Anytime 🙂

Here you go : https://www.upwork.com/press/2019/08/14/q2-2019-skills/

Again I'm not sure how practical it is to learn these skills quickly. Anyways all the best!

Jithin T wrote:

Anytime 🙂

Again I'm not sure how practical it is to learn these skills quickly. Anyways all the best!

I highly doubt the idea is to learn the skills over several months/years (by the end of which time they might no longer be in demand), then update the profile, then resubmit for consideration.

It is to just add the skills, resubmit, then change again to the real skillz. It's a well known strategy.

lysis10
Community Member

Jithin T wrote:

Anytime 🙂

Relational databases making a comeback after those one-hit wonders nosql nonsense. Gud.

jithintv
Community Member

dzadza
Community Member

Felix E.K. S wrote:

We have used varied combinations of skill sets but it still would not be accepted.

what do you mean? what does he actually do? everything?

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members