Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New client messaging without inviting?

Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
1 of 34

Hi all,

I'm not sure how I feel about this feature, but I just had someone message me, someone I've never done business with so this would be a prospective new client, and they have not created any job post, they are reaching out to discuss my availability and expertise. Those are both things that I do in a proposal, but I supposed what my concern is, is that now any client can just start messaging me without creating a job post? I don't mind someone asking if I'm even available before inviting me to apply, but I'm not sure I like any client out there being able to spam my inbox, and since I get so many spam invitations, I suspect this may happen more. 

Is this feature limited to a certain client plan? I could see it then making some sense. Again, I'm still thinking about the implications of this; has anyone else received these messages? 

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 34

Amanda L wrote:

I'm not sure how I feel about this feature, but I just had someone message me, someone I've never done business with so this would be a prospective new client, and they have not created any job post, they are reaching out to discuss my availability and expertise. Those are both things that I do in a proposal, but I supposed what my concern is, is that now any client can just start messaging me without creating a job post? I don't mind someone asking if I'm even available before inviting me to apply, but I'm not sure I like any client out there being able to spam my inbox, and since I get so many spam invitations, I suspect this may happen more. 

Is this feature limited to a certain client plan? I could see it then making some sense. Again, I'm still thinking about the implications of this; has anyone else received these messages? 

What is the problem? As long as the client verifies their payment method and you have a fully-funded (or hourly) contract in place before doing any work, why would you complain about people wanting to potentially work with you?

Community Guru
3 of 34

Petra R wrote:

Amanda L wrote:

What is the problem? As long as the client verifies their payment method and you have a fully-funded (or hourly) contract in place before doing any work, why would you complain about people wanting to potentially work with you?

Well, first of all, I distinctly said I wasn't sure how I felt about it, and I asked if others had experienced this. To answer your question about what is the problem: I didn't say there was a problem. I asked if others were getting messages this way. Perhaps I'm different, but most of my work is with offline clients, not through UpWork. My availability is set to as needed, as I only take projects in which I'm really interested and not because I'm lacking for work. I get a lot of spam invitations, and while I certainly don't mind hitting the "decline" button, I want to be able to be responsive and if this is going to be a source of more spam for me, then that's a concern for me. These are not "complaints" but concerns. 

Community Leader
Russell T Member Since: Jul 25, 2015
4 of 34

Yes,  got one yesterday.  What is the purpose of the whole proposal process if they can just contact the freelancer directly? 

I will say the person that contacted me never responded. So yeah you are probably right about being more spam to keep track of. 

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 34

It represents a major change.

Whether or not freelancers like this, the goal is to help clients, not freelancers.

I think this has the potential to be very positive for freelancers. But I see potential downsides. Too soon to tell.

Amanda's "I'm not sure how I feel about this feature" perfectly sums up where I'm at on this right now.

Community Guru
6 of 34

Preston H wrote:

It represents a major change.

Whether or not freelancers like this, the goal is to help clients, not freelancers.

I think this has the potential to be very positive for freelancers. But I see potential downsides. Too soon to tell.

Amanda's "I'm not sure how I feel about this feature" perfectly sums up where I'm at on this right now.

Thanks. I definitely see upsides and downsides. I also wonder if there are opt-out options. Like if I'm not open to being emailed right now by clients I don't have an existing relationship with, can I turn it off for a time until I'm available? What are the parameters on it? 

Community Guru
Abinadab A Member Since: Sep 26, 2016
BEST ANSWER
7 of 34

Amanda L wrote:

Thanks. I definitely see upsides and downsides. I also wonder if there are opt-out options. Like if I'm not open to being emailed right now by clients I don't have an existing relationship with, can I turn it off for a time until I'm available? What are the parameters on it? 

This very question was asked of a mod a while back when they announced this feauture.

Her (I think Valeria's) answer was, No, it's not possible to opt out of this direct messaging feature. However, you can, as usual, set your profile to private to avoid DMs and invites entirely.

Too lazy to pull up the thread now Smiley Wink

Community Guru
8 of 34

Abinadab A wrote:

Amanda L wrote:

This very question was asked of a mod a while back when they announced this feauture.

Her (I think Valeria's) answer was, No, it's not possible to opt out of this direct messaging feature. However, you can, as usual, set your profile to private to avoid DMs and invites entirely.

Too lazy to pull up the thread now Smiley Wink

Thanks, I did find it. Don't know why I missed it before. 

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
9 of 34

From a client perspective, this feature is extremely useful. If I were Upwork, I would add an option for freelancers to opt out if they don't want to speak with prospective clients. This would make sense. I don't want to message someone only to find out that they don't want to speak to me.

I would also send out e-mails to each freelancer to inform them that a new thing has been rolled out. I wouldn't let them find out by chance.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
10 of 34

Rene K wrote:

From a client perspective, this feature is extremely useful. If I were Upwork, I would add an option for freelancers to opt out if they don't want to speak with prospective clients. This would make sense. I don't want to message someone only to find out that they don't want to speak to me.

I would also send out e-mails to each freelancer to inform them that a new thing has been rolled out.  I wouldn't let them find out by chance.

What a novel idea ...

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS