cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie Profile Concern

Andrea A Member Since: Oct 8, 2015
11 of 14

Preston - I am also new to oDesk, but I'm not as in need of a job... as I want to find the right fit for me. No rush, no hurry. But, I do want to make sure I'm "doing it right." I have submitted a few proposals since completing my profile. How do I know if the employer has even seen my proposal? And, how do I know if my profile is strong enough? Can you point me in the right direction?

You seem like an expert... so just thought I'd tap into your all-knowing mind. If you have a moment, it would be great to hear from you. Thanks, Dre'

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
12 of 14

Kristel, to answer you question about how to improve your profile...
You have a great photo. Good job!

Post some portfolio pieces that you clearly created and which do not look like default template files. You are so new, you REALLY need some nice portfolio pieces. You need to spend a few weeks, at least, creating some portfolio pieces for free, for yourself as a client.

Remove the phrase "fast food" from your profile text.

Remove the part about you wanting to "explore" your career. Please don't talk about your future. Nobody cares. Focus on what you can do for me, the client, today.

And definitely find a native English speaker, or hire somebody if you have to, to rewrite your profile text so that the word usage, capitalization, grammar and other problems are corrected. You can not fix these problems yourself because your language skills are not strong enough. You will seem like a much more appealing candidate if your overview text sounds like it was written by a professional who is fluent in English.

Remove web-scraping from your skills list. You don't actually know what that means and you don't want be doing it or offering it as a service. Leave that to other contractors with specialized skills which you do not possess.

Genevie Ly G Member Since: Jun 24, 2015
13 of 14

Hi Im also newbie here.. I've created my profile 3 weeks ago and still it shows as : 

Checklist Complete
But keep working on your profile!

Is there a problem with my profile created? Can somebody please tell me how long would it takes to approve it or to accept it. Thanks
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
14 of 14

Hi Genevie,

Your profile has already been accepted and you should be able to apply for jobs on Upwork.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS