🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » No Response & Fake Jobs
Page options
danial_1988
Community Member

No Response & Fake Jobs

Hi,

I have been applying for proposals for about 2-3 months now with plus membership and additional connects but I have not been able to get a reply from a single client, let alone the interview process.

I have some doubts about the credibility of Upwork now.

my Questions are (Cannot be answered by Petra R)

1. Are there fake jobs on Upwork (Specifically Accounting and Finance Related)?
  2. Are the jobs only optimized for US, UK, and Canada locations?
  3. While applying, does Upwork have certain Algorithms that hides my proposal?

Please advise, so that I can stop wasting funds and time. Thanks  

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Danial, 

Freelancing is tough work, especially if you are competing with freelancers all over the world who have the same skills and experience as you have. I don't have the information for your first two questions, but you should be able to check the status of your proposals by going to your Proposals page. 

You may want to check out these articles from our Hiring Headquarters to help you create proposals that win jobs, and help you boost your career on Upwork: 

For starters, you may want to update your profile photo to a professional photo of yourself. Hopefully, this helps you with your Upwork career. Good luck!

~ Avery
Upwork

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
lysis10
Community Member

What if she PMs me the answer and then I post it. Will that count?

Yes, but then you would be bound not to take her name. Does that answer your question.

Danial L wrote:
Yes, but then you would be bound not to take her name. Does that answer your question.

I would dare not take the name of our mistress.

Alright,  that's good then, keep up the great work.

khansajib26
Community Member

1. Yes, I think sometime fake jobs posted on upwork.. 2. No, it's not 3. I think, No

florydev
Community Member

Why don’t you want an answer by Petra?

Hi Mark, because this is my first time joining the Upwork community (My joining date is 3rd May 2020) and I found most of her replies were sarcastic and rude.

I required a straight foward opinion so that I can dedicate more time to Upwork. Hope that answers your question. 

Danial L wrote:

Hi Mark, because this is my first time joining the Upwork community (My joining date is 3rd May 2020) and I found most of her replies were sarcastic and rude.

I required a straight foward opinion so that I can dedicate more time to Upwork. Hope that answers your question. 

Honestly, I find her less sarcastic that a lot of people.  I really only see her bring out the sarcasm for the people who are obvious scammers.  She is generally quite helpful to even people who quite unable to accept help.  What you call rude, I would call blunt and she has helped a tremendous amount of people.

What you have to understand is...this actually is a community.  Even people who don't like Petra would (mostly) defend her right to express her thoughts here and for you to say that one of us or another can't answer is very off putting. 

The thing about a community is you don't join one you are accepted into it.  In order to be accepted into it you have to be accepting of it, even if you perceive it as flawed.  You don't have to like everybody and you can choose to argue with people or ignore them or whatever you want...

But you can't tell them they can't play.  You don't have that power.

Someday you might actually need or want her help and here is where she is a better person than I...she will actually help you even if she remembers you said this (and she just might, her memory is scary).

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Danial, 

Freelancing is tough work, especially if you are competing with freelancers all over the world who have the same skills and experience as you have. I don't have the information for your first two questions, but you should be able to check the status of your proposals by going to your Proposals page. 

You may want to check out these articles from our Hiring Headquarters to help you create proposals that win jobs, and help you boost your career on Upwork: 

For starters, you may want to update your profile photo to a professional photo of yourself. Hopefully, this helps you with your Upwork career. Good luck!

~ Avery
Upwork

Thank you Avery for sharing useful tips.

tlsanders
Community Member

1. Yes, there are some fake/scam jobs, but there are also plenty of real ones. It will get easier to tell them apart with experience. 

2. Some jobs are US-only, which does mean that US freelancers may have more options than freelancers in other parts of the world. But, freelancers from all over the world work successfully through Upwork.

3. Not that hides your proposals, no. But, if your profile is way off base for a job (you're a web designer but bid on a transcription job or something like that) your proposal may be grouped into a category at the bottom of the list that Upwork deems less relevant.

rafsun_ug
Community Member

You can read this article to get a better idea about the algorithm of reaching the proposals to the client which is pretty pathetic. 

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Why-Employers-do-NOT-see-your-Proposal/td-p/115079

Rafsun S wrote:

You can read this article to get a better idea about the algorithm of reaching the proposals to the client which is pretty pathetic. 

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Why-Employers-do-NOT-see-your-Proposal/td-p/115079

No, you absolutely can't. This is 5 years old and many, many changes have taken place in the interim (some for the better and some for the worse)

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths