🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Not a Question, but a REPORT of a Scam Client
Page options
j-mabunga
Community Member

Not a Question, but a REPORT of a Scam Client

I'm messaging to report any job posting with this criteria:

1) Unverified payment methods;

2) Asking to chat their "director", or "manager", or "agent" at a Telegram account; AND

3) Data entry jobs {rewriting/retyping documents, PDF to word, image to word, etc.)

That company uses the name  **Edited for Community Guidelines**.

I humored in doing a test work for them, because I gave them a benefit of the doubt that they're just one of those who's more available in other messaging platforms, but is gonna close contracts inside of Upwork. But to my surprise, after that 1 test task, they said they would pay me the project price IF I depost the withdrawal fees first.

Please see screenshot here: **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Please BAN these job posts. Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
pgiambalvo
Community Member

Thanks for reporting. Too bad you've joined the club of the increasing numbers of freelancers having to do the same due to the vast number of scams they are exposed to every day here. As for Upwork banning them, well, they assure us that they're doing their best. Please read this to help keep you safe: https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/List-of-red-flags-for-scams/m-p/1017044/highlight/true...

ericaandrews
Community Member

You might want to also send that over to Bank of America and report it there.   In the United States, pretending to be from a Bank is actually called Bank Fraud. I doubt Bank of America appreciates this person signing their e-mail messages pretending to represent their Bank.

Also, the company  **Edited for Community Guidelines**is likely NOT the people sending this.  The fraudster appears to be impersonating them as well.  **Edited for Community Guidelines** actually has a page up explaining they have nothing to do with hiring freelancers.  They actually appear to be an advertising platfrom that has nothing to do with freelancers or whatever the money-laundering scheme is

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

LuiggiR

Hi Jay,

Thank you for reaching out to us and bringing this to our attention. I shared your report with our team for further investigation and appropriate actions will be taken according to our internal processes.

I encourage you to let us know if a TOS violation has happened by using the "Flag as Inappropriate" option throughout the platform. You can learn more about user reporting here.

Please check this post for the freelancer resources and tips for avoiding questionable jobs that we put together to help freelancers make decisions whether to work with a client or not. 

Feel free to also check this page for more information on how to stay safe on Upwork

~ Luiggi
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members