cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odesk can file a dispute, without client filing a dispute?

Boby U Member Since: May 27, 2009
1 of 21
Hi fellow workers and freelancers, I have some news I want to share with. You know in live sometimes we as freelancers will meet good clients and bad clients a few times yes? and I am in the case where I meet a bad client so here is the story : she hired me for a website development job, then I prepared mockup + functionalities built, then she does not understand how to use it, okay I prepare her screencast + screenshots of my work, and communications have been not so good due to my dad in hospital that period. but even that happen I still deliver the functionalities that she wanted and explained her how to use it. okay she opened it and happy at 1st but then she does not understand the code and wanted a screencast for it. okay I sent her screencast, soon she started complaining about budgets and asking hours of dispute then started escalating case into Odesk ticket and okay, I am an open guy, I return her dispute hours and still she receiver her work until that period. then contract was already ended with super bad feedbacks and I never get this before! my stars was at 4.57 for 5years now. okay, exactly around 1-2weeks after that, she again contacted Odesk filing me another complained that I deleted her work in the server(how can I? I cant even access her server anymore since weeks ago) and one of the Odesk escalate this, okay, I give all proof and screenshots, and Odesk never once replied to my response in timely manner, once a week I receive response and that is frustrating for this kind of problem. short or less, I have given proof of my work and ethics had been done. the case had been escalating for 2 months now with client A, and 16may2014 suddenly I received another response and I was quite shocked! odesk filed me new dispute outside of client A, and wanted me to return client B money( client B never file a dispute and surely know my work) I was accused of abusing work diary and memo, as clearly you guys know sometimes we developer used project management like ASANA to keep track with clients and the strange thing, client B never open a dispute( I confirmed with him) and also he is more than willing to help me out to solve this in Odesk. as he paid me for all my work and make sure I earned it! but now Odesk is filing dispute on his behalf? can you guys tell me this is right or not? I have a dispute case that is and should be solved, but before that was solved out of no where, and without client B knowing, Odesk file another dispute using client B name and asking me to refund hours of all my work? please comment, your insights as freelancer can help us! that means we as freelancers are not protected???? so let's say we have a problem with one client and then Odesk can just open another dispute for another client that we already finished working with 5stars feedbacks? COME ON REALLY? can you guys help me understand? clearly I never violated Odesk policy and work 5years, is that nothing? how about other users that have only 1 stars feedback and work dishonest? why not them? and why me who is 4.57 stars for my 10.000hours++ of 5years work?
Community Guru
Margaret P Member Since: Jul 7, 2007
2 of 21
Nobody here can help you out, all we can do is guess. All I can say from looking at your profile is that the number of hours you have worked are pretty high considering you also have fixed price jobs in there along with the hourly. Maybe they are looking at that and think you are either padding your hours or have someone else doing your work along with you. Just a guess, not an accusation. You might want to contemplate if there is anyway they could have gotten that impression? You do have 2 clients this year alone who complained that you logged excess hours. Maybe someone else has some other ideas.
Oluwakemi B Member Since: Mar 26, 2013
3 of 21
I think you guessed wrongly Margaret, according to Boby, only one dispute was filed this year, and the other dispute was opened by oDesk without the client's knowledge. Checking his profile, his feedback were good, so I am sure those excess hours you talked about isn't one since his clients always gives him a good feedback after the work is done. To Boby, I understand how you are feeling, I was in a similar situation few months ago. A client has never disputed my work but oDesk did a few months back on behalf of a client, who was not aware of the dispute. I can't go into the story now but my financial account was closed too and they said I should refund the client too. I was very mad but my only saving grace was the client who came in to help me out of the situation oDesk put me in. Since you said your client is willing to help you out too, then I will just say you should get in contact with the client to sort it out for you. In my own case, I decided to open a new ticket because I noticed that the person handling my case then was bias, and he really wanted me to refund for some reasons I don't understand till now because he dragged the case for about 5 to 6 days, and all he keep saying was that the client may want a refund so they need to contact my client to ask if she wanted a refund, seriously. I was lucky to be given a new agent after 6 days or so and she solved the situation out for me within a day, and she even apologize on oDesk behalf. But really till now I don't understand the reason why the case came up in the first instance. So keep calm and try to work this out.
Community Guru
Margaret P Member Since: Jul 7, 2007
4 of 21
[quote=Oluwakemi B.]I think you guessed wrongly Margaret, according to Boby, only one dispute was filed this year, and the other dispute was opened by oDesk without the client's knowledge. Checking his profile, his feedback were good, so I am sure those excess hours you talked about isn't one since his clients always gives him a good feedback after the work is done.[/quote] I did not say he had 2 disputes did I? I said he had 2 bad complaints (not disputes) In fact, here is exactly what I said [quote]You do have 2 clients this year alone who complained that you logged excess hours.[/quote] Just look at his feedback and you will quickly see them. Both have replies from him, both have 2 stars and comment complaining of excess hours charged. One is from a job in March 2014 and the other is from a job Jan to Mar 2014. Take another look at his previous jobs from this year.
Oluwakemi B Member Since: Mar 26, 2013
5 of 21
You are right about the feedback Margaret, sorry for that. My point is that, I am not against clients or freelancers filing a dispute if they think they need to but what I don't understand is oDesk filing a dispute on behalf of the client without his or her knowledge or consent.
6 of 21
thank you guys for your comments, 1st of all the work was all done by me and no third party and 2nd, both clients have the same problem, they wanted to develop a big project but provide limited budget. we need to be honest in real life there is no way we can get great clients all the time. I earned my work with fair and square work. no hidden move in anything I do that is why I am still working fulltime in this system. my other point is : why Odesk can open another dispute that the contract was already done and delivered, and also I have contacted client directly and he is more than willing to vouch for my work and quality service( I am thankful of him!) and yes why Odesk can open another dispute? without client knowing about it? it's like doing hidden and ugly stuffs and yet client are not aware about it, honestly my client was pretty surprised as he never once doubted my work and always confirm my work diary and hours into the job. we even chit chat everyday about job progress until it was done and launched! and he even files a dispute immediately after our conversation and stated my dispute from Odesk was Nonsense. so you guys can see for yourself, I am a fulltime worker mon to sun, my great hours is my work of effort of 10-12hours work a day and not padding hours. if I am padding hours, really? will my client be that many? and all of them are returning clients usually. once again thank you guys for your feedbacks, I am waiting Odesk to resolve the wrongly accusation here and please look into other people that is only having 1 star, wrong doing of work conduct. Instead of me trying to keep my best reputation point for 5years++ it's easy to find a new client and new job, but its difficult to maintain reputations, I think you guys should agree to that.
Community Guru
Mandy D Member Since: Jul 29, 2013
7 of 21
I can back-up the long hours bit, particularly with your line of work where one change affects a lot of other things. I too put in long hours when working on a project. Not being limited by a 9 to 5 job, I can sit on a job for 18 hours at a stretch - particularly when it is something that requires consistent concentration - it is just easier than leaving the job and coming back a day later when the thinking process has to start all over again. The basis of your complaint - that oDesk (Almighty!) can just decide to raise a dispute without your client's knowledge - is really taking things a bit too far. I would be interested to hear if oDesk admit to this, or if they claim that the client has done this behind your back (if your opinion of your client is correct, this seems very unlikely).
Ace Contributor
Ryan B Member Since: Aug 2, 2010
8 of 21
This is very alarming. Why on earth oDesk will do this without the clients knowledge? Personal interest? Money matters? Seriously? Keep us posted Bob.
9 of 21
[quote=Mandy D.]I can back-up the long hours bit, particularly with your line of work where one change affects a lot of other things. I too put in long hours when working on a project. Not being limited by a 9 to 5 job, I can sit on a job for 18 hours at a stretch - particularly when it is something that requires consistent concentration - it is just easier than leaving the job and coming back a day later when the thinking process has to start all over again. The basis of your complaint - that oDesk (Almighty!) can just decide to raise a dispute without your client's knowledge - is really taking things a bit too far. I would be interested to hear if oDesk admit to this, or if they claim that the client has done this behind your back (if your opinion of your client is correct, this seems very unlikely).[/quote] Hi Mandy, thank you for your comments, yeap, sometimes when we are doing extensive work and need to fully concentrate on it and long hours we put into it some clients just wont understand and started complaining about budget and shut us down. Big Project requires some money and little money, little money can not make big projects, and this I happen to fall 2x into the same deep hole and now I started to be really careful not to fall again. I really don't get it, the policy seems to my understanding that Odesk will investigate when a dispute was filed right? and when no dispute was filed that means the work is good! so why on earth do they investigate? I can't really answer it, until now my old case was still hanging for dispute and plus another new case was brought up without the client knowledge, and my client had already updated me the ticket he posted in Odesk with subject "boby dispute is nonsense" so I think you guys can understand.. I really my real old case can be resolve it's been 5weeks! and I always get response in weeks and not days. kind of strange right? seems like I got an FBI agent tailing me for stealing 10million dollars of state money pretty scary! [quote=Ryan B.]This is very alarming. Why on earth oDesk will do this without the clients knowledge? Personal interest? Money matters? Seriously? Keep us posted Bob.[/quote] thank you Ryan, I will keep you posted, yes what I am afraid is that it seems to me like worker now are not protected in the policy and Odesk strive to protect clients more then worker who are honest in working and sometimes meet bad clients and things can go bad, like my currect situation now. I just hope, Odesk can be realistic about things and look at both sides. review my work, my feedbacks, my quality service as I believe from 100clients you will get 10 bad ones. that is really unavoidable in live, just like sometimes we fall down from staircase or something. right?
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
10 of 21
But if a job is going to take a lot of hours, more than the client has anticipated, you should notify the client in advance. If the client doesn't seem to understand what is involved in getting the job done, you should explain this, and how long it takes, before you start working - at the interview, if possible. Unless I have a deadline that would be impossible to meet without working many hours in a day, in which case I tell the client how long it will take, I break up the work so the client isn't faced with an enormous credit card payment at the end of the week. I wouldn't clock in 18 hours a day without letting the client know in advance and explaining why it was necessary. If, by my own miscalculation, a job takes longer than I expected it to, I don't charge for the extra time.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS