🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » One contract I am working for is a MLM and py...
Page options
morseworks
Community Member

One contract I am working for is a MLM and pyramid scheme, I want out asap, how do I still get paid?

There a place I'm working for that is asking for way more than what was asked in the contract. It is a MLM and I am not interested in that at all. I am being asked to pay for leads, something that is not in our contract. I am also continually reached out to outside of Upwork, when I've asked several times to stay on this site. How can I still get paid for the hours worked?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

Ashley:

It does not matter if the client is an MLM or if the client is curing cancer in orphan baby seal nuns. You ALWAYS have the same rights as a freelancer.

You may end the contract AT ANY TIME.

Just go to your contracts listing, click on the contract, and choose the option to End Contract. Or Close Contract. Or Cancel Contract.

If this is an hourly contract, you get paid for all the time that you logged. Automatically. It doesn't matter when or who or how the contract is ended. You get paid for your time.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
bad40d92
Community Member

Hi Ashely,
Have you logged your hours using upwork desktop app? If yes you'll be paid for your hours under Upwork Hourly Protection:
https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211068288-Hourly-Protection
If you have added manual hours then you can ask a client to pay for the hours done tho client can refuse or can give negative feedback.

It's funny I read through the TOS and somehow missed that. I've been using the desktop app. What if I propose a new contract with them? Still the same?

Ashley M wrote:

What if I propose a new contract with them? 

Why would you propose a new contract if you don't want to work with them anymore? Simply make sure that your tracked hours are properly tracked with the app and have meaningful activity levels, and meaningful memos that describe properly what you are working on, then tell the client that you unfortunately can't work with them anymore, then end the contract. You get paid for your hours (assuming it is actually an hourly contract, of course) automatically.

Furthermore, there is no issue communicating with a client outside the platform after you've been hired. Once you have been hired, you can communicate any which way you like!

I misunderstood the communication aspect. As far as why I want to propose a new contact, it's because I'm almost through my small contract before they add more hours. I'm willing to put up with them for at least a few more days, assuming I can get a second contract. I could use the money to get seen by a doctor after I had a seizure out of nowhere (I don't get them). I haven't been able to go because I haven't had enough money. I'm just trying to do what's going to help my health without adding money into their scheme. I'm hourly. 

Ashley M wrote:

As far as why I want to propose a new contact, it's because I'm almost through my small contract before they add more hours. I'm willing to put up with them for at least a few more days, assuming I can get a second contract.

You don't need a new contract, the hours are "per week", not "per contract" and the client can simply increase the weekly limit if they want to. The default weekly limit is 40 hours, so if your limit is less, the client did deliberately set it to less.

Do NOT spend any of your own money on this though, whatever you do.

They were already supposed to increase it yesterday but I'm still waiting on them. Thank you. I would never give them money...not a chance.

prestonhunter
Community Member

Ashley:

It does not matter if the client is an MLM or if the client is curing cancer in orphan baby seal nuns. You ALWAYS have the same rights as a freelancer.

You may end the contract AT ANY TIME.

Just go to your contracts listing, click on the contract, and choose the option to End Contract. Or Close Contract. Or Cancel Contract.

If this is an hourly contract, you get paid for all the time that you logged. Automatically. It doesn't matter when or who or how the contract is ended. You get paid for your time.

Thank you! I'm looking forward to finishing this for some extra hours and ending it. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members