Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One of my Upwork clients has an affiliate that wants to work with me

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Mariette R Member Since: Jan 22, 2015
1 of 15

Hello wonderful community

I did a job for a client this summer who was really happy with my work. They were in turn working with an affiliate company of theirs and they were also seeing my work as it progressed and loved what I was doing so much that they have asked how we can work together. I explained about Upwork and that if I am to work with them, it needs to be via Upwork. They seem happy witht his and we are going to try and see if we can do this today or tomorrow.

My question however is related to how to do this. Do I need to follow a special procedure or do I just get them to create an account and then send them a contract? 

Any help greatly appreciated and thank you!

My best

Mariette

Highlighted
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
2 of 15

Hi Mariette,

Yes that is correct, they will only need to sign up and send you the contract directly. Just to confirm is this a new client that is not signed up on Upwork? If yes since you`re top rated your eligible for our program Bring your Own client. This program allows you to have 0% fee on your contracts with new clients that will sign up using your unique link. Thank you.

Untitled
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
3 of 15

Hi Goran

Thank you very much, appreciate. Client is not on Upwork as far as I know but they are affiliated with an Upwork client I worked with during the summer. Upwork Terms & Conditions state that you have to do work via the platform for 24 months. This surely applies to this new client as they came into contact with my work via the work I did for the initial Upwork client. 

Hope makes sense! : )

Thanks

m

Highlighted
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
4 of 15

Hi Mariette,

Since more private details are needed so that I can advise you accordingly, one of our team members will reach out to you directly via ticket and assist you further. Thank you.

Untitled
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
5 of 15

Thanks Goran, I will await, will that come via email or?

My best

m

Highlighted
Community Guru
Vivek K Member Since: May 28, 2016
6 of 15

There is no special method for any client. Atleast I do not know anything like that.They should register, create a job and send you an invite. You have already worked on the upwork, so you already know how the system works.  

However if you have anything (Contract/ Agreement/ Understanding) with your previous client that restricts you to work with new client, it is between you and other party .Upwork certainly has nothing to do with it.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
7 of 15

Thanks. No I have no contractual obligations with the original Upwork client. The new client was working with the original client on the job I did during the summer and loved my work so much they have asked how they can work with me. I explained re Upwork 24 month circumvention period and that I cna only work with them via Upwork as they came into contact with me via an Upwork client whose 24 month circumvention period is active.

Thank you again : )

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
8 of 15

Mariette, get Support to send you your link, give it to the client to sign up to Upwork with, then you don't pay any fees with that client ever - at all.

That means it is cheaper than getting paid via PayPal and safer too.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
9 of 15

Hi Petra

Lovely to read you and thank you. I have a link but this client is not a private client, they have met me through an Upwork client I worked with during the summer. I read the Upwork Terms & Conditions and the circumvention period of 24 months - that would apply to anyone you come into contact with through Upwork - clients are not allowed to "refer you" to people off the platform but this client was actually working with my Upwork client on his job and has asked how to work with me. Surely the Circumvention Period applies to this client too?

My best

m

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
10 of 15

@Mariette R wrote:

Hi Petra

Lovely to read you and thank you. I have a link but this client is not a private client, they have met me through an Upwork client I worked with during the summer.

I would argue that you did not meet that client on Upwork so whilst they are not a private client you should work with outside, I see no reason why you should not have them sign up with your link.  Smiley Wink Use the link and go for it. What's the worst that can happen?

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS