🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Overtime
Page options
f45f74e2
Community Member

Overtime

Hi. I would like to know why my overtime earning is not showing on my report? My client said he already approved the logged hours and overtime amount.

My logged time is 7:20 hours, so it must be equal to $140+ but the report says it's only 5 hours so only $100 is showing.

Why it's not showing?

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

There is nothing for a client to approve or not approve when it comes to hourly contracts - they are billed automatically. If the client set a certain number of hours per week and you found that it wasn't enough, the correct thing to do would have been to ask for the weekly limit to be increased. At this point, you can ask the client to pay you the additional money as a bonus.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

There is nothing for a client to approve or not approve when it comes to hourly contracts - they are billed automatically. If the client set a certain number of hours per week and you found that it wasn't enough, the correct thing to do would have been to ask for the weekly limit to be increased. At this point, you can ask the client to pay you the additional money as a bonus.

The bill time is already finished and has been reviewed by my client. He already approved the payment including the overtime.

But it still not appearing on my profile report. Is it possible that the excess amount will only appear when the earning is ready to withdraw? Or is it gone in the system.

NikolaS

Hi Leidy,

Thank you for reaching out to us. As Christine shared, if you log time that goes over the weekly limit that you and your client set, it won't be invoiced. Your client can see it in your Work Diary, and you can discuss the possibility of a bonus payment for that time. You can find more information in this help article

~ Nikola
Upwork
f45f74e2
Community Member

Nikola S wrote:

Hi Leidy,

Thank you for reaching out to us. As Christine shared, if you log time that goes over the weekly limit that you and your client set, it won't be invoiced. Your client can see it in your Work Diary, and you can discuss the possibility of a bonus payment for that time. You can find more information in this help article

I already mentioned that he may put it as bonus. But the thing is, he has already approved the hourly rate plus the over time. He also mentioned that maybe upwork is just holding the overtime fee during the security period, and the hourly rate is the only payment appearing on my report.

So what am I supposed to do? I can't monitor my overtime earning since it's not appearing on my report.

Is there a possible way to track if my client really paid the extra overtime?

yofazza
Community Member

The pay is automatic, the card is charged by Upwork, and Upwork only charge the non-overtimed hours.

f45f74e2
Community Member

So the payment for extra hours was gone?

re: "So the payment for extra hours was gone?"

That is correct.

That payment is gone.

The good news is that YOU HAVE THE POWER.

You can learn how to use hourly contracts and overtime properly so that this won't happen to you again.

I often wonder what the motivation is for people who write condescending replies such as yours to someone asking a legitimate question... my usual conclusion is that the individual responsible feels quite powerless irl, so has to exploit every available opportunity to feel less powerless where they can find it online. Your response was totally uncalled for.

Leidy Mae E wrote:

So the payment for extra hours was gone?

Your client didn't pay for any "extra hours," and didn't approve any "overtime," because he was never billed for it. If a client sets a maximum number of hours, they cannot be charged for more than this. If he wants to pay you for these hours, then tell him to pay you as a bonus. 

Then, I strongly suggest you read about how hourly payments work, so that you aren't confused about this in the future.

f45f74e2
Community Member

Will upwork notify the client about his payment  not fully transferred to my account? Or be reimbursed to him?

re: "Will Upwork notify the client about his payment  not fully transferred to my account? Or be reimbursed to him?"

No.

There will be no notification.

There will be no reimbursement.

There will be no payment.

The better you understand how "overtime" works, the more powerful and effective you will be come at achieving your goals.

Feel free to ask questions if there is anything that you don't understand.

But this is pretty simple:

- An hourly contract can have a "maximum number of hours per week."

- If you work MORE than that number of hours, you don't get paid for that time.

No, from Upwork's end there is nothing to know anything about. Its automated instructions are "pay any logged hours up to the maximum allowed for the week unless the client has disputed.

It did that. It doesn't think there is any problem.

There's nothing to reimburse the client,because he was only billed for the five hours.

If you need to work more than five hours in the future, you need the client to change the maximum number of hours allowed.

If you want to get paid for these extra hours, you need to ask the client to pay for them through a miscellaneous or bonus payment. 

Leidy Mae E wrote:

I already mentioned that he may put it as bonus. But the thing is, he has already approved the hourly rate plus the over time.

Re-read my response.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members