🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » PAN pending verification
Page options
arnabroy30
Community Member

PAN pending verification

Hello,

I have received an email yesterday regarding my PAN verification. My Tax information section containing the PAN number is valid and I have verified it with the Income Tax Department. Is there anyone from India facing the same issue? 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Alok,

The TAX ID (PAN) status is under "Pending Verification" until we have a manual verification for PAN. Once you enter a PAN number, you will automatically get a reduced withholding tax of 1% regardless of the PAN "Pending Verification" status. There is no further action needed on your end.

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

101 REPLIES 101
gpseo
Community Member

Hello,

I have received an email yesterday regarding my PAN verification. My Tax information section containing the PAN number is valid and I have verified it with the Income Tax Department. My Pan is valid and even got the TDS credited to my account earlier this month. Now I have reupdated my Pan in upwork today. I'm also facing same issue "PAN pending verification".
I have added the PAN number. But still it showing PAN pending verification. Please advise.

I more issue is it saying Legal Taxpayer Name Legal Taxpayer Name (none). But my Profile name is add and verified by upwork please cheach and create ticket for my so I can talk to your support staff. Please help

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Gurpiyar, 

Sorry, we cannot directly verify your tax information. Once you add the information to your Upwork account, we submit it to the Indian Tax authorities for verification. If you added your PAN number, it was accepted, and you didn't get an error message, you're all set. There is no further action needed on your end. 

~ Avery
Upwork
vigus
Community Member

I don't see any problem with my PAN number. But upwork sent me failed verification email. And there is no way to add legal name above it. What should I do to get PAN verified? 

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Vishwas,

Could you please go to Settings > Tax Information > and add your legal name under the W-8BEN section? After this, please go to the Tax Identification (ID) > hover over the question mark next to "Legal Taxpayer Name" and add your name as well. If you're still experiencing any problems after this, let me know. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Ok. I have added the name along with the PAN again. I will reply back if I still get email regarding verification failure.

neternal
Community Member

Hi,

I received a mail from Upwork on 02 Mar 2022 at around 7 A.M. (IST), stating that my Pan details cannot be verified. The reasons mentioned in the mail for the inability towards verification have been attached in the screenshot. However, none of the points are valid, as my Pan ID is Active on Traces under the name Akash Kumar Sharma (screenshots attached). I have also deleted my Pan ID and re-entered the data on Upwork, and it still says "Pan pending verification". Can someone please look into this?

The mail also stated that "Until your tax ID number(s) is verified, we will collect taxes on applicable transactions at the rate of 5%." Does this mean that I will be charged 5% as a tax deduction and if yes, until when? Kindly respond to this question.

Hi Akash,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and will assist you further with your PAN verification. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
dilip-borad
Community Member

I've got the same message on 2nd March 2022.

Just remove the current PAN details(which is also right), Then update things again.

Does anyone know how many days took to verify PAN details?

Hi Dilip,

Thanks for reaching out. I would like to clarify that we cannot directly verify your tax information. Once you add the information, we submit it to the Indian Tax authorities for verification. If you've managed to add either your PAN number successfully, i.e. it was accepted and you didn't get an error message, you're good to go! No further action on the Upwork platform is necessary.

Thank you

Pradeep

Upwork

Hi Pradeep,

I have added my PAN and it is still pending verification, will I get charged 5% until the PAN is verified? What is the usual wait time for the verification? 

Thanks

bishwos
Community Member

I haven't received anything about submitting a PAN ID. Should have have received one?

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Bishwo,

Tax Deducted at Source (TDS) is a means of collecting income tax in India. To learn more about this, you check out our announcement post here. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
batranimish
Community Member

I received a mail from Upwork last week, stating that my Pan details cannot be verified. I have also deleted my Pan ID and re-entered the data on Upwork, and it still says "Pan pending verification". Can someone please look into this?

The mail also stated that "Until your tax ID number(s) is verified, we will collect taxes on applicable transactions at the rate of 5%." Does this mean that I will be charged 5% as a tax deduction and if yes, until when? Kindly respond to this question.

Hi Nimish,

Please know that we cannot directly verify your tax information. Once you add the information, we submit it to the Indian Tax authorities for verification. If you've managed to add either your PAN number successfully, i.e. it was accepted and you didn't get an error message, you're good to go! No further action on the Upwork platform is necessary.

~Andrea
Upwork
ekanth485
Community Member

Recently, i got a mail from upwork. update the pan details and then save withhold tax (WHT) otherwise 5% have cut it. So I delete previous different government Id and now update to PAN. I updated this one on 2 days back.

But it showing still PAN verification pending.

Please help me on this anybody. How much time it will take to update the id verified?

Is there any problem to my Upwork account if it continues?

Hello P Taraka, 

Thanks for reaching out. If you've managed to add either your PAN or Aadhaar number successfully, i.e. it was accepted and you didn't get an error message, you're good to go! No further action on the Upwork platform is necessary.

Thank you.

Pradeep

Upwork
dharamchauhan
Community Member

I have an issue with my Pan card detail and wanted to chat with the customer support agent. my account is stuck on PAN verification  Earlier, when I had any issue, it usually gets resolved quickly by the support staff, it's been almost 10 days now. I sent my PAN card to the support team as well but no update Please help Thank you 

Hi Dharmendra,

Thank you for your message. If you have managed to add your PAN card details without any error messages then there is no further action needed from you.

Thank you

Pradeep

Upwork
9d68b51c
Community Member

I added my Pan Card number in the Tax Information section but my Pan verification is shown as pending. Can you tell me how long will it take to be verified? 

Hi,

It is showing PAN pending verification in my account and not able to withdraw amount as well.

Says "The reason for returned funds is invalid data in the following fields: taxNumber"

Can anyone help me here?

Same thing here... I updated my PAN in under 5 minutes from when I got the email from Upwork... that was on the 2nd of March and it's the 9th here today. It's still pending verification. I contacted support today, but the Chatbot is the only option available.

Hello Noor, Janak and Sachin,

If your PAN information is already updated without any error message, then you are all set. You do not need to take any further action.

Thank you

Pradeep  

Upwork

There wasn't any error message. But will it cause a problem when I get paid by my clients? Am I going to be charged more tax for the amount I will receive if my Pan verification is shown as pending ?

Hi Noor,

Thanks for your question. The amount of tax we are required to withhold is dependent upon whether or not you have a valid PAN or Aadhaar number on file with Upwork:

• For Upwork users that have a PAN or Aadhaar on file, we are required to withhold 1% of client payments to users.

• For Upwork users that do not have a PAN or Aadhaar on file, we are required to withhold 5.0% of client payments to users.

Regarding the verification process, I would like to clarify that once you add the information to your Upwork account, we submit it to the Indian Tax authorities for verification. To learn more about this, check out this help article. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thank you. It's a valid PAN card so I don't think there will be any issue. So, even though my Pan card verification is shown as pending, 1% will be charged for the payment I receive as long as the details provided were authentic right? I wanted to get clarity regarding this matter as many users have said that as their pan card verification was pending they were charged 5% even though all the details provided were authentic. 

Hi, I am facing the same issue, can anyone helpe here?

Then why it is giving me error on withdrawal "The reason for returned funds is invalid data in the following fields: taxNumber"

Hi Janak,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and will assist you further with your withdrawal. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
janaksuthar1st
Community Member

Then why it is giving me error on withdrawal "The reason for returned funds is invalid data in the following fields: taxNumber"?

pushapvinder
Community Member

Hi,

Yes, I am also facing the same issue. I got a mail couple of week ago after that i have submitted again but they couldn't verify my PAN ID. I have tried removing and adding the PAN number again and again.

Without this verification I would be charged 5% TDS instead of 1%. I've been using Upwork regularly for about 8 months now and never had an issue. Please fix this and give me the solution.

Thanks
Pushap

Hi Pushapvinder,

Could you please confirm the name in your W-8BEN Tax Information matches your PAN?

~Andrea
Upwork
a22bf0d4
Community Member

Hi Arnab,

I am also facing the same problem. Did you get resolved it. If yes please let me know how you resolved this

Thanks

AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Deepshikha,

Please know that we cannot directly verify your tax information. Once you add the information, we submit it to the Indian Tax authorities for verification. If you've managed to add either your PAN number successfully, i.e. it was accepted and you didn't get an error message, you're good to go! No further action on the Upwork platform is necessary.

~Andrea
Upwork
nitesh_796
Community Member

Hi,

I am also facing the PAN issue, It says PAN could not be verified. Please remove and re-add your number to update.

nitesh_796_0-1649060815490.png

I have tried to remove and re-add the PAN but it still says the same. 
I have also verified my PAN with Income Tax Department and its valid. 

Please get this resolved ASAP as its showing me a warning of deductions of 5% instead of 1%.

Thanks

Hi Nitesh,

Thank you for your message. Could you please add your correct and real name under Legal Taxpayer Name that matches the name mentioned on your PAN details?

Thank you

Pradeep

Upwork

Hi Pradeep,

I did what you mentioned above and now I am having PAN pending verification

Would it still deduct 5% of my earnings ?

Thanks 
Nitesh

Hi Nitesh,

The TAX ID (PAN) status is under "Pending Verification" until we have a manual verification for PAN. Once you enter a PAN number, you will automatically get a reduced withholding tax of 1% regardless of the PAN "Pending Verification" status. There is no further action needed on your end. 

You can find more information here

~ Nikola
Upwork

Ohh great Thanks Nikola.

akshayagarwal19
Community Member

Hi , I am facing the same issue. My PAN is verified and active but Upwork shows it as "PAN pending verification" . Could someone please advise. 

Hi Akshay,

You can find more information here

~ AJ
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members