cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pilot Research without pay?

Hello,

I'm in the middle of discussions with a potential client, and he wants me to show him my capabilities by analyzing one of the markets he is interested in, but without pay as a pilot project. I'm not sure what I should do, as this will take considerable time, 

Your advice and suggestions are appreciated 🙂

Micheline

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jmlaidlaw
Community Guru

EASY!

Do not do any work without pay. I don't care if it's a "pilot" project or a stewardess project or a project that involves changing the billboard outside the airport. (jokes) All that you have to sell is your time and your talent, presumably. (Well, unless you are very attractive, and then you could combine time and attractiveness and sell your good looks, by working as a model, for instance.)

Do. Not. Work. For. Free.

It's against Upwork's Terms of Service and against common sense.

ETA:  Report this "client" to Upwork immediately. He is flagrantly violating Upwork's Terms of Service, and if he doesn't get you to fall for it, he'll likely try with another chump.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
jmlaidlaw
Community Guru

EASY!

Do not do any work without pay. I don't care if it's a "pilot" project or a stewardess project or a project that involves changing the billboard outside the airport. (jokes) All that you have to sell is your time and your talent, presumably. (Well, unless you are very attractive, and then you could combine time and attractiveness and sell your good looks, by working as a model, for instance.)

Do. Not. Work. For. Free.

It's against Upwork's Terms of Service and against common sense.

ETA:  Report this "client" to Upwork immediately. He is flagrantly violating Upwork's Terms of Service, and if he doesn't get you to fall for it, he'll likely try with another chump.

Thank you for your response. I completely agree with what you said. I just did not want to lose the opportunity to gain a client. Still, my time is not free 🙂

Thanks again,

Micheline

You're welcome.

Take comfort in knowing that (a) any client who tries this sort of nonsense is not likely to ever hire you anyway. (Why would he, when he has discovered how easy it is to convince freelancers to provide work for his endless "pilot projects" at no cost to him??); and (b) if he did ever hire you, he would in all likelihood turn out to be a cheapskate and horrible client.

Have some fun with it and give him a really bad analysis and give him bad business advice. Would be fun if he steals it and uses it. teeheee

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS