🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Poor feedback
Page options
ofureo
Community Member

Poor feedback

Since I started working on this platform for about one month now, this is the second time I am having similar issues. I worked on two milestones with this client and the work was done successfully with no issues. The client didn't communicate for about 2 weeks about any more work. I sent the client a message to let me know if there is more work or end the contract and leave feedback to avoid having a contract with no active milestone. Client ended contract and left a 3 star feedback with no comment. I will not refund the money to get it off my profile because I put in a lot of effort into the 2 milestones. Should I just ignore it or should I respond to the feedback. It's so sad that such feedback affects my JSS when I don't have any idea about what I did wrong. Please what's the best thing I can do in this situation. I have 2 other positive feedbacks on my profile.
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
tlbp
Community Member

Ofure O wrote:
Since I started working on this platform for about one month now, this is the second time I am having similar issues. I worked on two milestones with this client and the work was done successfully with no issues. The client didn't communicate for about 2 weeks about any more work. I sent the client a message to let me know if there is more work or end the contract and leave feedback to avoid having a contract with no active milestone. Client ended contract and left a 3 star feedback with no comment. I will not refund the money to get it off my profile because I put in a lot of effort into the 2 milestones. Should I just ignore it or should I respond to the feedback. It's so sad that such feedback affects my JSS when I don't have any idea about what I did wrong. Please what's the best thing I can do in this situation. I have 2 other positive feedbacks on my profile.

If I were to guess, I would say game reviews were just too far outside your wheelhouse for you to do well despite your best efforts. The writing style and desired tone for business writing and game reviews is very different and I see that it was factors related to the output that affected your score from the client. The farther from your core skills you go, the more likely you are to miss the mark with the client. 

She may have stopped sending milestones due to dissatisfaction. Sometimes it is better to close a contract yourself and let it slowly fade into obscurity. 

Of course, that is all speculation. But, I don't think replying to the feedback will benefit you in this situation. You already mentioned the lack of communication in your review and the issue is really about quality which is an argument you can't really win because it's subjective. 

Be very cautious about the next few gigs you accept. Make sure they are solidly within your areas of expertise. Avoid jobs with clients who appear overly demanding or leave negative reviews. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
tlbp
Community Member

Ofure O wrote:

If I were to guess, I would say game reviews were just too far outside your wheelhouse for you to do well despite your best efforts. The writing style and desired tone for business writing and game reviews is very different and I see that it was factors related to the output that affected your score from the client. The farther from your core skills you go, the more likely you are to miss the mark with the client. 

She may have stopped sending milestones due to dissatisfaction. Sometimes it is better to close a contract yourself and let it slowly fade into obscurity. 

Of course, that is all speculation. But, I don't think replying to the feedback will benefit you in this situation. You already mentioned the lack of communication in your review and the issue is really about quality which is an argument you can't really win because it's subjective. 

Be very cautious about the next few gigs you accept. Make sure they are solidly within your areas of expertise. Avoid jobs with clients who appear overly demanding or leave negative reviews. 

petra_r
Community Member

Ofure O wrote:
Should I just ignore it or should I respond to the feedback. 

A response almost invariably makes poor feedback worse and it's bad enough as it is. Responding would simply draw attention to it.

The client was clearly very unhappy to leave 2 stars for both skills and quality...

ofureo
Community Member

Is it possible or right for me to appeal to the client to remove the feedback altogether.
tlbp
Community Member

Ofure O wrote:
Is it possible or right for me to appeal to the client to remove the feedback altogether.

If you enable the client to change the feedback, they can make it worse! So, don't do that. 
Unless you have a Top Rated perk (which is a limited-use feature) Upwork doesn't allow freelancers to mess around with feedback. You get what you get. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members