🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Portfolio Images are blurry/low quality
Page options
mviesca
Community Member

Portfolio Images are blurry/low quality

Hey there, 

I'm encountering a frustrating issue with my Profile images. I've exported my Profile imges at the highest quality/resolutions and when I open the image file on my computer- it looks nice and crisp, but when I upload to Upwork - it looks low quality. Anyone have any ideas as to what is causing this?

The image I upload is 2940 × 2200. 

I will attach screenshots of how it looks on my profile vs how it is supposed to look.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi everyone, 

I want to post an update for those having issues with their portfolio images being cropped or pixelated after uploading. 

Please see some of the tips below: 

• Do not use the gallery template if you don't want the image to be automatically cropped. Use any other template available. 
  • It is advised that the minimum dimensions for images are 400px width by 300px height. However, 1000px width by 750px height is recommended. The maximum limit for images is 4000px width by 4000px height.
  • Attachments can be in .doc, .swf, or .pdf format. The maximum size is 5 MB for the thumbnail and 25 MB for attachments. Images can be in .jpg, .jpeg, .gif, or .png format. 

If the issue persists after trying the recommendations above, please send the following by filing a ticket here:

• Video replicating the issue
  • A copy of the photo you are trying to upload. Please provide at least 2-3 pictures if you are uploading several.
  • Also, confirm the template you are using

~ Avery
Upwork

View solution in original post

55 REPLIES 55
nickgrantwriter
Community Member

Hey Upwork Community,

I'm currently having the same issue with my profile image. I've tried a dozen different times, and it still comes out blurry. I've tried different image dimensions (including 1000 x748) and different file sizes (209 KB to 7.7MB).

Here are three of the image files and a screenshot of how my current profile image looks so you can see how blurry and low quality the image looks on Upwork. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

If I'm not mistaken, Upwork compresses uploaded images to some degree. The image you uploaded (Upwork Profile Picture Screenshot Blurry.png) does look a little blurry, but I'm guessing it won't matter much to clients.

When I view your profile or snippets of your profile on a desktop computer, the picture looks like this:

celgins_0-1702324340740.png

On desktop screens, the blurriness isn't very noticeable. However, it does look a little blurry on a mobile device.

Maybe you can sharpen the picture using Photoshop or an online tool?

Hey Clark! Thanks for reaching out and trying to help. 

I tried sharpening it via Canva, and I just updated the photo but it is still blurry 😞 The other image files that I uploaded are pretty clear and sharp. It only gets this blurred once they are on Upwork, but I'll keep trying to get it as clear as possible! Thanks again. 

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi everyone, 

I want to post an update for those having issues with their portfolio images being cropped or pixelated after uploading. 

Please see some of the tips below: 

• Do not use the gallery template if you don't want the image to be automatically cropped. Use any other template available. 
  • It is advised that the minimum dimensions for images are 400px width by 300px height. However, 1000px width by 750px height is recommended. The maximum limit for images is 4000px width by 4000px height.
  • Attachments can be in .doc, .swf, or .pdf format. The maximum size is 5 MB for the thumbnail and 25 MB for attachments. Images can be in .jpg, .jpeg, .gif, or .png format. 

If the issue persists after trying the recommendations above, please send the following by filing a ticket here:

• Video replicating the issue
  • A copy of the photo you are trying to upload. Please provide at least 2-3 pictures if you are uploading several.
  • Also, confirm the template you are using

~ Avery
Upwork
crart
Community Member

I have been asking for portfolio changes for years. Do you realize that at UW there are also illustrators, artists, graphic designers? Not only ppl copying chat gpt nonsense for clients. Do you realize we sometimes create images that are not horizontal? We should have a way to show our work in best way possible. The whole portfolio/gallery system should be changed.

54u
Community Member

I have not this kind of problem on my Upwork profile, but I would share a similar problem I find sometimes on Facebook. See File 1.PNG attached, a screenshot of a post, you can see on my Facebook profile. Image preview of the video appears low quality and altered while if you look at the original video on Youtube it is normal and right https://youtu.be/lepYTSJ5qHM

It's few months I found that also on other videos, it seems a kind of bug/scam. I do not know about that...

Hi Osea,

I am unable to guide you about the issue faced with video quality on other platforms. It will be best to reach out to Facebook support directly to seek assistance with the low quality video preview on your Facebook profile. 

- Pradeep

Upwork
54u
Community Member

Thank you. No problems. Just to share the experience I had using Facebook, I'm still waiting from months/years replies from them, but no more sign of life so far.

Community Member

As designers, we put a lot of effort into building our portfolios. It's disheartening when our uploads appear blurred. I've tried using the dimensions suggested by Upwork and read numerous blogs and comments, and it seems many others face the same issue.

Does anyone have a solution?

e381dc82
Community Member

Hi
I'm having the same issue with a blurry profile picture. Could you please help me ?

e381dc82_0-1703705422831.pnge381dc82_1-1703705439803.png

Hi Fariba,

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing this as well. Would you mind following the guidelines Avery shared in her post above? This will allow the team to assist you more efficiently. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
54u
Community Member

I've never found something like that on Upwork. I think if you report to Upwork support they fix it soon. In the last years I noticed really a big confusion operanting through the web. I do not know what this came from but there are too much people using internet as a place for easy scamming or an escamotage for not face really their problems, I do not know maybe they are also manager of the systems inventing their own rules. It's important to be aware for many people that when they communicates through the web they deal with other people, not just with a machine... If it goes on in this way a big confusion will continue. Unfortunately there are people they like to do that, but they do not know and do not understand it will come bad for theirs too...

crart
Community Member

Osea C wrote:

It's important to be aware for many people that when they communicates through the web they deal with other people, not just with a machine...

Not sure about that anymore, we have predictive language and machines checking if we're not machines. Fun times 😂

54u
Community Member

I understand, so, still hoping for peace...😅 

Well, I'm in peace😊

I was thinking right now, at these days there are also frequently updates on the websites/accounts and this can create missunderstandings or conflicts on the web, especially when users are not warned about that. It usually does not happen on Upwork, fortunately.

dctocali
Community Member

So is there a solution to this yet? Has the support ticket been escalated with so many people having this issue? Image is perfect on it's own. Sized to 1000px x 750px, still blurry. Sounds like a support ticket was made for this whole thread or are we supposed to still create individual tickets? I'm using classic template.

Hi Amanda,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will contact you with more information and further assistance about your portfolio image concerns.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members