Did you mean: 

Possible client asking for free "trial" work

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
21 of 26

Caroline W wrote:

After 5 years here, one advice, never do a "free" test, or " sample" 

In most cases and with most clients this is true. However, some Enterprise clients require some degree of unpaid testing as part of their application processes, so I would say that people should use common sense when it comes to such things.

As far as I am concerned, the number of hoops I'm prepared to jump through are directly related to the value of the potential contract.

For a $ 20 contract I wouldn't even complete any additional questions in a proposal. For contracts worth multiple tens of thousands of Dollars I'll happily invest an hour.

jr-translation
Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
22 of 26

Caroline W wrote:

After 5 years here, one advice, never do a "free" test, or " sample" 

The serious clients may pay you for a small test (EG $20 for each candidate) and then decide. 

Any client asking for the free "test" usually never hires at your rate, they end up taking a very very cheap freelancer, who barely has a 87% success. 

Asking for free work is a ToS violation. Any client asking for free work should be flagged.

christine3714
Christine V Member Since: Oct 22, 2020
23 of 26

Neil,

I feel your pain. I am still relatively new to UW and I always receive messages asking/stating the same thing: "Give me a sample article, I will pay you for it, but no contract unless I officially hire you."

All they have to do is offer the contract and withdraw it if they don't like the work.

This just happened to me yesterday and the guy never paid me, but I spent two hours writing an article to "prove myself".

I like to give themthe benefit of the doubt and hope they are just being cautious but how do I know they are not keeping my work to use without paying me?

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
24 of 26

re: "I like to give them the benefit of the doubt and hope they are just being cautious but how do I know they are not keeping my work to use without paying me?"

They are not "being cautious."

They are violating Upwork TOS by asking freelancers to work for free.

If a person walks into a jewelry store and grabs a diamond necklace while the clerk is not looking, puts it into her purse, and then walks out of the store without paying for it, she is not "being cautious." She is stealing.

When you work for two hours on behalf of the client, and then don't get paid for your time and labor, you can't get that time back. The client who asks you to do that and doesn't pay for your time has stolen from you. This is not okay.

A client is never obligated to use work that he does not like. If a client hires you to write an article, and then pays you for the article but decides not to use it... that is fine. That is his choice.

66ecf5bc
Ace Contributor
Naheed M Member Since: Sep 29, 2020
25 of 26

Hi, 

As already mentioned that asking for the task to be done and then showing disliking is just making lame excuses. The clients' must value ones' labor and precious time. But no worries, such clients are few and far between and the reason behind is either their ignorance of the Upwork TOs or they intentionally do it.

Thanks.

Best wishes. 

2e949bbd
Amanda A Member Since: Mar 15, 2021
26 of 26

Interesting.

I'm new here.

Applied to eight projects so far.

One client replies wanting a sample blog with a set title to assess my research and writing skills (even though I've sent published examples on similar topics, and as a PG so I know how research)!? Seems strange as I'm experienced and to date my clients hire me based on my portfolio. They are interviewing 12 people so that's 12 free blogs. 
I looked on Upwork forum for this and a moderator states they can be contacted in regards to this but it says I don't have the right to contact them! Bit annoyed to say the least. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS