🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Potential Clients Want Free Samples Written
Page options
7e4d1b8b
Community Member

Potential Clients Want Free Samples Written

Hello, 

I had not one but two different clients interview me today for jobs I was interested in. However, both wanted me to submit a sample product description without a contract. I requested a contract; one did not reply, and the other said they would not send the contract before I completed the sample. 

After doing some quick research, I think this is not allowed, but I wanted to check with the community to be sure. I am eager to prove I can do the work but do not wish to break the rules.

I'd love some advice on this if anyone has any. 

Thank you!

11 REPLIES 11
williamtcooper
Community Member

Never create any original work without a contract. However, create a Portfolio with pricing, services and work examples so all potential Clients can view.

Thank you for your help! Is this against the terms of service or just a general best practice not to do?

The terms of service say the client cannot ask you to do work for free. It isn't actually a violation for you to do free work, but the client is breaking the contract by asking you.

Thanks for the information! 

lindsayshayne
Community Member

Never work for free. Respond saying something like, "I would be happy to complete a paid writing sample for you. My bid for the same piece is xxx. Please let me know if you would like to proceed. If you are simply looking for an example of my writing style, please refer to my Upwork portfolio or find a sample attached". Never. Ever. Work. For. Free.

Thank you for the response!

a9f61ca2
Community Member

Hello Derick!

You did well to check with the community. The sample they are asking you to provide is what they want to get from you, and once they get it, they will not get back to you.

I thought that might be the case. Thank you for the reply!

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Potential Clients Want Free Samples Written"

LOL.

That's not a "potential client."

That's a scammer.

Somebody who is asking you to write free samples plans to NEVER pay people.

It's essentially a game for them.

Any freelancer writing free samples for somebody like that is just wasting your time.

Such "clients" are violating Upwork ToS and should be immediately reported using the "Flag as inappropriate" link button.

Thank you for the helpful reply.

c49ad9d8
Community Member

Hello sir.

I agree with you.You have the right to deny any exploitations of any type whatsoever.The client must pay for any job done.

Thankyou.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members