🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Potential Scam by moving conversation outside...
Page options
boerdi41
Community Member

Potential Scam by moving conversation outside of Upwork

Hi everyone,

I have been invited to a seemingly easy and well-paid job. After contact, conversation was moved to WhattsApp. Here I was asked to transfer a "deposit" (USD 50 or 100) before starting to ensure that work gets done. Deposit and payment would be transferred after the job has been completed. The set-up is somewhat understandable, but that is what the escrow function would be for. What would be the best way to handle this? I did not follow up as this seems a bit odd...

4 REPLIES 4
martina_plaschka
Community Member

You are an experienced professional. You should know better. 

Of course it's a scam, what else would it be? 

How to handle this? Flag the job posting, if it is still even there. 

Read the ToS and don't go outside of upwork before hire again, that is not allowed. 

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Björn S wrote:

Björn S wrote:

I have been invited to a seemingly easy and well-paid job.

Red flag number one. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is. Also, new freelancers rarely receive invitations from clients.

Björn S wrote:

After contact, conversation was moved to WhattsApp.

Red flag number 2. Upwork has perfectly good video calling and messaging tools. There's no reason whatsoever to move the conversation to WhatsApp. 

Björn S wrote:

Deposit and payment would be transferred after the job has been completed. The set-up is somewhat understandable

Is it? Why would you need to pay somebody a deposit, and why would you take the word of a total stranger that they're going to pay you back? Red flag number 3. This person didn't have any job to give you, they just wanted to steal your money and disappear.

Björn S wrote:

What would be the best way to handle this? 

As Martina said, use the "flag as inappropriate" link on the project page to report the client. Then don't accept any further invitations to discuss projects off of Upwork before you're hired, and be aware that you're not allowed to accept payments outside of Upwork, ever. You seem to know how escrow works, so that's what you should be using; the client is supposed to hire you and fund the project before you start working - not after it's complete - and you don't ever have to pay clients a deposit.

boerdi41
Community Member

Thanks for the feedback - I have flagged the job ad as suggested. As the scam was reasonably well made (remuneration was good, but not outragously high etc.), I just wanted to make sure that others do not get caught in something similar.

You did the right thing in flagging it. Now get ready to flag it again and again as it will likely reappear.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members