cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with oDesk search engine

Ace Contributor
Dejan H Member Since: Jan 29, 2015
1 of 8

To be honest, I really wasn't worried about your search engine, until I heard that you are going to start working as Elance, with connections. If I have 25 applications per day, I don't need interviews. 

However, as I realize that connections will happen soon, I'm really worried about my freelance career as I never get an interview (or rarely). We all know that when a client posts a job, it shows him 10 "most qualified " freelancers, but that is just not true. How can a person with 0 jobs, be more competent compared to a person with 150 jobs and a rating of 4.97? That just doesn't make any sense. 

Can you please explain me the algorithm of your engine, so I can optimize my profile (keep in mind that my profile is already optimized and has everything). I would really like to hear someone competent, who can explain me this situation. Or if you at least know that it isn't working properly, saying that you are working on it, and that you will fix it, would be awesome as well.

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
2 of 8

Both on Elance and oDesk I was hired because of my skills when I had no feedback score nor any jobs in my history. One of the biggest things I have found at least for what I do is getting my cover letter to stand out when they scan through applicants. This made a big difference in whether they interviewed me or ignored me.

I am not for what oDesk is doing, only stating that a newbie has just as much of a chance if they have a solid background and a good cover letter.

Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
3 of 8

Unless that cover letter is rejected by a poorly written algorithm - without the applicant even knowing about it.

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
4 of 8

Stephen,

I have not had the honor of my application being hidden on anything I have applied for, so I don't know if it is luck or I work in a specific area that what I have applied for makes me a good fit. I don't know.

I know many people have been hidden, and we don't know how they are basing determination on whether someone is or not. So I can only give a point of view from what I have experienced.

But I also have not applied for a ton of jobs. I prefer long term over short term jobs.

Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
5 of 8

@Suzanne N wrote:

I have not had the honor of my application being hidden on anything I have applied for, so I don't know if it is luck or I work in a specific area that what I have applied for makes me a good fit. I don't know.

I know many people have been hidden, and we don't know how they are basing determination on whether someone is or not. So I can only give a point of view from what I have experienced.

But I also have not applied for a ton of jobs. I prefer long term over short term jobs.

How do you know you're not going in the hidden file?

oDesk doesn't tell you whether you go there or not. Sure, some of them may have gone through and you've been hired but some of them may have also gone into the hidden application without you knowing it (unless you've been hired for every job you've ever applied for).

This is my biggest problem with oDesk right now. It bothers me even more now that they are limiting the number of applications.

Ace Contributor
Dejan H Member Since: Jan 29, 2015
6 of 8

I think that you didn't understand me. I'm not talking about getting an interview after you apply with a good cover letter and good skills. I was thinking about when a client posts a job, oDesk automatically shows him/her the "best suited" candidates, and he/she just click send invites, and 10 people receive an interview.

And when I decide to apply for a job, and see that there are 10 applications, I always check if it is an invite by a client (and usually it is). And then I check their profiles to see if they are really better than me (is their profile better than mine). And then I notice that 3 out of 10 freelancers don't even have 1 job, and that maybe 1-3 freelancers have a better or exact profile as mine.

I don't mind that at the moment (I can apply and get jobs), but when they introduce connections and when I have only 30 applications (2 connections per application on average) to apply, then it will become a huge problem, because I will have to pay for additional applications. 

If they are changing oDesk and introducing connection they should fix their engine, so that the best freelancers do get those interviews. And I don't know if I'm the only one with this problem, or maybe some other freelancers are ignored by oDesk engine...

Zelda P Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
7 of 8

I've been wondering the same thing last few weeks. The same situation. How come, someone with lower feedback, less hours and less jobs is above me in the search list? 
That doesn't make sense at all. 

And as I realized, search list I am getting is fixed all the time, so for example, last few days I've been really stubborn to find out how this stuff work, so everyday I was searching for the "retouch" in the search engine.

7 days, everyday, 7 same results. Same list, same people. Freelancer who is at the top of the list, last time was online 18 days ago + lower feedback + less hours. 

So I am also wondering, what kind of criteria, algorithm or whatever odesk has is making this fun searching results. I know one thing for sure , something is going on - and that something really affects on my working routine. I am not getting a job invitations at all. First number of invities was reduced more than half, now I am happy if I get one job invitation per week. And jobs are still there, so my conclusion is that clients are not seeing me.

Hbert S Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
8 of 8

Up for this topic..  Waiting for someone from upwork technical team to answer this..

I, myself, had a  taste of being on the top 1 first page list on 2 categories(graphic design and web design)..  that was a week after odesk became upwork.. i was receiving a minimum of 100+ invitation per day.. then suddenly I cant find my profile at least on the first 50 pages... clients will not go and browse more than 10 pages I belive..and invitations goes down to at least 1-3 invitation per week..eventhough I reply each of the invitations within the day either I will accept or decline it.

I Check my stats and it is still the same...  funny thing is when I saw my friends clients profile...upwork keeps on sending her the same list of recommended freelancers for about a month now

So I guess I will repeat what has Dejan said..

"Can you please explain me the algorithm of your engine, so I can optimize my profile (keep in mind that my profile is already optimized and has everything). I would really like to hear someone competent, who can explain me this situation. Or if you at least know that it isn't working properly, saying that you are working on it, and that you will fix it, would be awesome as well."

Thanx  Smiley Happy

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS