cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Profile availability

Lisa G Member Since: Feb 17, 2019
1 of 10

Can potential employers browse freelancers' profiles on Upwork without an Upwork account?

Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
Community Guru
Yeasir A Member Since: May 16, 2017
3 of 10
Yes, Lisa, they can. It depends on how you have set your profile availability.
Generally, potential employers browse freelancers' profile with their respective client accounts.
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
BEST ANSWER
4 of 10

Keep in mind that the default setting is public. Most users want their profiles to be public and available to anybody - logged in or not - to maximize their visibliity and their ability to get found and hired.

Upwork  DOES have privacy settings... that is true. But if a user switches their setting from public to private, that doesn't change the fact their profile and details can be found through a Google search.

Community Guru
5 of 10

Preston H wrote:

Keepi in mind that the default setting is public. Most users want their profiles to be public and available to anybody - logged in or not - to maximize their visibliity and their ability to get found and hired.

Upwork  DOES have priviacy settings... that is true. But if a user switches their setting from public to private, that doesn't change the fact their profile and details can be found through a Google search.

No. See the link I provided above.

Community Guru
6 of 10

Phyllis:

If you are referring to this description from the page you linked to:

Only Upwork Users – Only logged-in Upwork members can find your profile and it’s hidden from search engines.

Private – Your profile will be excluded from the Upwork marketplace and search engines. This means clients won’t see you when they search for freelancers and your profile will be accessible only through your proposals or contracts. It won't be accessible via your profile’s direct URL.

These dscription of what Upwork "Private" setting ARE accurate explanations of Upwork's goals. But what I was talking about was that making these changes does not immediately remove you from Google search results. There is a lag time between making a setting change and having that change reflected in Google's search engine.

Community Guru
7 of 10

Preston H wrote:

Phyllis:

If you are referring to this description from the page you linked to:

Only Upwork Users – Only logged-in Upwork members can find your profile and it’s hidden from search engines.

Private – Your profile will be excluded from the Upwork marketplace and search engines. This means clients won’t see you when they search for freelancers and your profile will be accessible only through your proposals or contracts. It won't be accessible via your profile’s direct URL.

These dscription of what Upwork "Private" setting ARE accurate explanations of Upwork's goals. But what I was talking about was that making these changes does not immediately remove you from Google search results. There is a lag time between making a setting change and having that change reflected in Google's search engine.

Good point about the lag time. Now that you've made it clear what you meant to say, I concur.

Community Guru
8 of 10

The presence of search results within search engines such as Google, Bing are not something that Upwork directly controls.

Upwork DOES use back-end directives on its pags to block profile pages from being cached by Google, so that helps prevent Profile content from being accessible if a person changes their setting to private.

But links to a profile will remain for days or weeks or however long it takes Google's index to be updated by its standard spidering process.

Stephanie G Member Since: Mar 14, 2019
9 of 10

Hi All,

I have a group of recurring clients. If I set my visibility to unavailable will they still be able to see me?

I'm not looking for new invitations at present.

Thanks for the clarification.

Steph

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
10 of 10

Hi Stephanie, 

Setting your profile visibility to private will remove you from client's freelancer search results. But your old, and existing clients should still be able to see you in their Messages page, and should still be able to contact you from there. 

-Avery
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS