🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Project delayed, now the client isn't paying.
Page options
hussainbaig
Community Member

Project delayed, now the client isn't paying.

Hello everyone! 

This is Hussain Baig, and a few months back I had a project to re-design a blog website. The client's partner was from my country so he was with me for communication, I was directly communicating to his partner. For 4 months I was working but the project wasn't completed because they didn't know what they exactly want. Even after some time they asked me to stop my work and look for a pre-built theme, and after a week they come to me and ask me to do the work. For 4 months straight, I was in communication with the partner of the client and he knew that the changes were being made and project was in-progress. After 75 days Upwork's automatic refund request generated and I told the client's partner regarding it, since in the approve or decline page there was that I should first contact the client before putting a dispute. So I did that and told the client's partner about the request and he told me that he would handle this. After 6 days, his partner is blaming me for taking this project too long and now he wants me to directly communicate with the client. And when I dropped him a message, his response was.

Hey mate,

Zee had conversation with me on that regards, refund was initiated by upwork. Which i think was reasonably actioned although dispute was my last resort too. because you took ages finish off that project. do you actually have idea how this delay damage my business Obviously NOT.
anyways I am sorry had enough with this. Bye

It wasn't my fault that it took 4 months, it was their requirements that were unclear.

Kindly, help me with this matter, as now the money has been refunded to the client.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
tlbp
Community Member

Since you didn't dispute the refund, the money is now gone. You can ask that they pay you on the closed contract via a bonus but they do not have to agree. 

The middleman is to blame for these delays. Don't agree to work with him again. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
petra_r
Community Member

Hussain Ullah B wrote:

now the money has been refunded to the client.

You had 7 days to either approve the return of the escrow funds or dispute. You did neiter, so on day 7 the funds were returned to the client. You missed the deadline.

Basically the client would now have to hire you again, maybe with smaller milestones. Although frankly it doesn't sound like the client is all that interested in doing so....

Hussain Ullah B wrote:

It wasn't my fault that it took 4 months, it was their requirements that were unclear.

It doesn't matter whose "fault" it is, this was basically lack of project managements.

All it would have taken was submittting for a partial payment, however small.

Hussain Ullah B wrote:

After 75 days Upwork's automatic refund request generated

It's 90 days

This didn't helped me at all. I want to know how Upwork can help me in this situtation.

Hussain Ullah B wrote:

I want to know how Upwork can help me in this situtation.

They can't. You could have helped yourself, and chose not to.

tlbp
Community Member

Since you didn't dispute the refund, the money is now gone. You can ask that they pay you on the closed contract via a bonus but they do not have to agree. 

The middleman is to blame for these delays. Don't agree to work with him again. 

hussainbaig
Community Member

Thank you, now this answer is convincing.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths