cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Projects canceled by freelancer

Community Guru
Richard W Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
11 of 15

Well, it seems the only solution is not to accept a job until you're ready to start work. I've adopted that policy now, but it can be a nuisance at times. I had a client recently who offered me an hourly job, but didn't want me to start until we'd discussed the details, which he wouldn't have time for until the next week. So I had to explain (briefly) why I wasn't going to accept the job until then, in case he assumed it was because I wasn't interested. 

It's particularly tough on newbies, who are probably not aware of this arcane rule, and so won't take precautions against it. But I guess that makes it good for those of us who've managed to survive the Upwork baptism of fire, and now benefit from such barriers to entry which serve to keep down the competition!

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
12 of 15

Ela K wrote:

Yep. We all know that the only positive outcome/reason for closing a contract is when a job was completed successfully. All other reasons affect the JSS negatively.

I tried getting around it and asked my one $0 client to let me close the contract. She let me do it and didn't review me, and nope that doesn't work either lol

Armen B Member Since: Apr 12, 2019
13 of 15
Hi Ela
Yes I hope so but you know after that very job which I cancelled , I got 2 more jobs and ended successfully, I have a good relationship whit my clients. Also I passed upwork tests minimum result is Top 10% and now I don't have any success score or "Raising Talent" status. How can I know what is the reason for this? And who can give me the right reasons?
Aleksandar D Moderator Member Since: Mar 23, 2019
14 of 15

Hi Armen,

More than 90% of freelancers have a score after 5 projects. Since not all projects and clients are equal, the length of time will vary. Nearly all freelancers have scores after completing eight projects. The projects need to be with at least three different clients and take place within a 24-month period.

Jennifer, if you're referring to my advice to communicate with the client in order for them to leave private feedback, I'd like to clarify that private feedback is not displayed publicly and contracts without earnings also aren't shown in freelancers' Work History.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Untitled
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
15 of 15

Aleksandar D wrote:

Hi Armen,

More than 90% of freelancers have a score after 5 projects. Since not all projects and clients are equal, the length of time will vary. Nearly all freelancers have scores after completing eight projects. The projects need to be with at least three different clients and take place within a 24-month period.

Jennifer, if you're referring to my advice to communicate with the client in order for them to leave private feedback, I'd like to clarify that private feedback is not displayed publicly and contracts without earnings also aren't shown in freelancers' Work History.

Thank you.

I understood you, friendo, and I don't think what you laid out is 100% accurate. Perhaps it's just the way you worded it, but saying that a client can give positive feedback on a cancelled contract is a catch-22 that I wish you guys wouldn't keep pushing, because IME sure they can MITIGATE damages by giving positive feedback but the $0 contract is gonna hit your JSS.

I know all about the public display and all that jazz.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS