๐Ÿˆ
ยป Forums ยป Freelancers ยป Proposing milestone in an active software dev...
Page options
tarekrahman1
Community Member

Proposing milestone in an active software development contract

I am working on developing a custom desktop software. The client has been adding milestones for adding different features after each milestone. Is it okay if I also propose milestones mentioning the ideas of adding extra features that I think will improve the software?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JoanneP

Hi Tarek,

Yes, you can propose it to your client. Once a contract is created, all future milestones for fixed-price jobs must be created and updated by the client. However, freelancers and agencies can send client requests to add, edit, and delete milestones. You can check this help article for more information. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
petra_r
Community Member

Tarek R wrote:

Is it okay if I also propose milestones mentioning the ideas of adding extra features that I think will improve the software?

Sure... ***After*** discussing it with the client and the client agreeing, of course.

JoanneP

Hi Tarek,

Yes, you can propose it to your client. Once a contract is created, all future milestones for fixed-price jobs must be created and updated by the client. However, freelancers and agencies can send client requests to add, edit, and delete milestones. You can check this help article for more information. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
kinector
Community Member

Tarek, if you have good ideas that genuinely help your client to improve their product and their business, most likely they'll be happy to add them to their plan. (This is exactly what I do as a consultant.)

Just to be clear what you can and cannot do (there could be a slight confusion because of the previous replies):

- You can talk to the client, pitch your ideas, and ask them to include your ideas in their plan. Typically, this means that they add a new funded milestone for you to work on once you've finished the previous one.

- There's no button for you to add a milestone from the freelancer's side. Only the client can decide what the work they need and want to pay for is.

Keep helping your client, and make good cash along the way. ๐Ÿ‘

I wish you all the luck in the world! Keep going strong, Tarek! ๐Ÿ˜

A client with a serious project is likely to hire multiple freelancers. The one who really helps her achieve her goals will stand out. It might not be who we expected. Might be the designer. Might be the writer. Might be the lead developer. Might be a junior developer. Might be the marketer.

Any individual might be a person whose ideas go above and beyond and end up helping the client more than others.

Such a person will be valued and rewarded.

petra_r
Community Member

Mikko R wrote:

- There's no button for you to add a milestone from the freelancer's side. 

There is a button to propose a milestone. That's what he is talking about.

Basically the freelancer sets up and scopes the milestone, submits it, and if the client approves it the milestone is automatically funded and activated.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members