Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Protecting new freelancers

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
11 of 15

It is against the ToS for a client to ask for a free test or any work  before a job has been officially awarded. It is clearly not advisable for a freelancer to do so, particularly a newcomer, but there is nothing in black and white prohibiting it.

The OP should report this client, who is obviously circumventing. However, as Jennifer pointed out, it is a matter of common sense to nix this sort of job.

Edited to add: The OP has also stated publicly that she will do a test - a very bad idea as it is an open invitation to all scammers or clients who disintermediate.

Highlighted
Aleksandra L Member Since: Mar 18, 2016
12 of 15

Yes, I did offer a free test, but a minor one, not a 30-minute long test. I'll remove that, it's obviously more harmful than useful. Thanks for pointing that out.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Wendy H Member Since: Feb 23, 2016
13 of 15

There is a link on the top of the page to lodge a complaint.  One of the default reasons is 'asking for free work' .Use it!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ramon B Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
14 of 15

The guy who cheated me when I first started is still on here. Can ANYONE tell me any way I can do something about **Edited for Community Guidelines**?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ramon B Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
15 of 15
**Edited for Community Guidelines**

+ Obnoxious thief with fake feedback. Can anyone tell me Anything I can do in return? Does anyone EVER get kicked off here for dishonesty?

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS