🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Random thought on this plataform and revenue ...
Page options
2c270444
Community Member

Random thought on this plataform and revenue expectations

Hi! I'm just starting here so i have many questions, but let's focus on a specific case.

Today, a job appeared that would be perfect for me. It consists of a total of 16 renders of various types of homes and interior spaces, the client demands expert level and give some examples of high quality renders and real photos to match.

We're talking about a job that could extend to more than a month depending on revisions.

The fixed price set by the client is $250. This price is so ridiculous low for the size of the project that it makes me doubt whether it refers to the total number of renders requested or to each one.

I've been a freelancer for 20 years, $250 per render is a price I've charged several times in the past. Perhaps it's somewhat high nowadays, but that amount for the 16 expert-level renders requested is simply ridiculous.

This type of offer makes me wonder if I'm in the right place. If there are people willing to accept these borderline slavery rates, ¿then how can I compete with this?

I just wanted to share this with you all, and I'd like to hear opinions from veterans on the platform. I understand that not all jobs or clients may be suitable for me, and that there are many different realities in different parts of the world. But considering the time and effort it takes to start succeeding with so much competition, I wonder if it's worth it or just a waste of time.

Thank you for your time!

13 REPLIES 13
irtza46
Community Member

It's disheartening to encounter job offers that undervalue your expertise and effort, especially after years of freelancing experience. The situation you described highlights a common challenge in the freelance world where some clients offer rates that are unreasonably low, akin to modern-day slavery. It's important to recognize your worth and not compromise on fair compensation for your skills and time. While competition and varying market realities exist, it's crucial to prioritize opportunities that align with your value and expertise. Engaging with experienced professionals on the platform can provide insights on navigating such situations and finding rewarding projects that respect your worth. Stay resilient, uphold your standards, and seek out clients who appreciate the quality and value you bring to the table.

abhi_gyan
Community Member

There are all sorts of projects here and all kind of project owners i.e. clients as well. Quite a few of them are woefully cheap. I routinely see few projects in .net that require experience of 4-5 years, work EST time zone and are paying roughly $700 a month. This particular client prefers developers from India. She is well aware that even people here in job don't get paid $700 per month. With 5 years experience they would at least be paid $2000 per month and that too when they are working during Indian day time.

Best is to ignore such jobs. But if you find a job quite interesting, you can still bid, put your rates and justify your rates in your proposal. I know I have won a few projects like that at the price I want to work.

tjmisny
Community Member

This is the most troubling part of the Upwork experience is seeing how the platform enables prison-wage or **Edited for Community Guidelines** wages.  I see DOZENS of these posts a day - clients asking for $5 videos or $10 animations.

Upwork does have the potential to raise the level of pay/work by blocking these poverty level jobs, but instead they continue to proliferate.  

tjmisny
Community Member

It is disurbing that we are censored when trying to shed light on clients abusing the Upwork platform to get wages well below the cost of living in the poorest parts of the world.  

253c5f2c
Community Member

Yes. I post several screnshots and they are simply censored... all the time... 

tjmisny
Community Member

It's a good sign that Upwork is proud of the direct and indirect outcomes of their business practices if a basic, 40,000 ft view discussion of human rights gets censored!  

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Pablo S.,

Upwork is an international labor marketplace, so there are freelancers from certain places whose pay expectations and requirements are less than yours.

If you're new to Upwork, you'll have spend some time, effort and money over at least a month or two to figure out if there are clients on Upwork who see the value you see in your own skills and experience.

Some clients know that if you pay the lowest freelancer rates you will often get what you pay for. Others want to pay as little as possible, not caring about how well the project is completed. Others want to pay as little as possible for highly skilled professional results - those are the ones to avoid, which it appears you are already doing.

If you see an ideal job, ignore what the client wants to pay - who doesn't prefer to pay less rather than more? Submit a bid for that job at a price point that will make you happy. If you do this a number of times and never get hired, Upwork probably isn't the platform for you.

Good luck!

atlinguist
Community Member

Good questions. My experience is that you can't compare it to offline hiring because you are a) dealing with various markets, and b) many clients come to a "bidding" platform precisely because they are looking for the lowest price.

My advice would be to view it as a supplement and marketing tool in the sense that the projects here will help you extend your marketing reach and get a clearer picture of international trends. (If a project sounds too good to pass but the price is below expectations, try to book it as an advertising expenditure. Otherwise, stick to your pricing, as many have commented here.)

2c270444
Community Member

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts on this topic.

I'm certainly not here thinking that this will become my new main source of work. I've always valued it as a parallel second income stream that allows me to expand my services to the whole world through a secure and established platform with plenty of potential clients.

There are just some cases that can be disheartening and make one think that capturing clients with such wildly disparate and uncontrollable pricing competition is impossible.

Anyway, from my side and being new here, I'm going to give it a chance and approach it with my best attitude. If in about 3 months I still haven't had a single interview or job, I suppose it's better to spend my energy and time elsewhere.

Best regards and have a good day.

You mentioned that the platform is secure. But is not.

I am new here like you and disapointed as well. I think this platform is a very good idea. But, we are people and we are always after a bargain, that is the true... I got my first job here, accepting being paid a low rate. The client posted a Capability Statement together with his post and I had access to his website and his work. I found that legitimate. It is a very good client and he has returned to me directly for other two jobs. When I applied, I set my rate to be increased every 6 moths by certain percentage. That was telling him that I was offering a discount to come to know him better, but my price is higher than that. At the end of the day, it is all about negotiating... with care. If you are willing to offer a lower price for a job, it is because you thought about that carefully. If you are not willing, look for another better match. They are going to be there.

253c5f2c
Community Member

I have the same feeling. I have been here for 40 days now and encountering offers like $30 fixed-price to draw architecture floor plans and site plans.

Are the clients thinking that they can hire freelancers in countries whose currency is 5-7 times lower than us dollar? That is a good deal.

abhi_gyan
Community Member

I just saw another job posting from the same client I was referring to in my earlier reply. Full Stack Developer (US Shifts) - Monthly contract for $200. Minimum 5 years experience. This client keeps on posting the same job because she cannot get quality candidates and she will never get one at this price.

A develper with this experience will charge around $250-$350 a day and will not work for a measly $200 a month.

alexandernovikov
Community Member

It's alright, thankfully these mistakes work both ways, sometimes you get a client who pays ridiculously high not know how much is the job worth.

And, sure they can find people willing to do stuff cheaply. Question is whether the stuff actually gets done.

Answer is, nah. And most of the time it doesn't get right even if price is high, as well.

So forget your rational thinking, it doesn't work here, and get to bidding, extract top dollar from those willing to pay, and get on top.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members