🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Reason for JSS decrease
Page options
fa749755
Community Member

Reason for JSS decrease

My JSS was 90% last week and in that week I've got 5 star review from my client and the JSS drops to 84% which is weird. Could you tell me what is going on my JSS calculation?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Amanuel,

Your Job Success Score can change for a number of reasons, even without recent activity. Your best JSS score will be displayed based on the rolling windows when it is calculated. Sometimes, new contracts are added that impact your JSS. Other times, old activity is aged out.

For example, a contract will no longer count in your six-month JSS window once it is six months and one day old.

Your JSS can change because:

• You’ve received poor public or private feedback from one or more clients
  • You’ve received very positive public or private feedback from one or more clients
  • A higher-value job is added to your JSS and it outweighs lower-value jobs
  • Past jobs are no longer considered because they fall outside the time frame

Update: This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation here.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

500 REPLIES 500

Hi Hammad,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Your Job Success Score can change for a number of reasons, even without recent activity. Your best JSS score will be displayed based on the rolling windows when it is calculated. Sometimes, new contracts are added that impact your JSS. Other times, old activity is aged out.

For example, a contract will no longer count in your six-month JSS window once it is six months and one day old.

• You’ve received very positive public or private feedback from one or more clients

~ AJ
Upwork
d_samuel_udokpok
Community Member

I haven't seen something like this before. Before JSS Update on Sunday, I was at 97% and after the update, I got to 100% because my large contract ended with good feedback. Waking up this morning to see that my JSS is back to 97%. I don't get it. What's going on? Can anyone explain to me what's going on? 

Hi David,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Your Job Success Score can change for a number of reasons, even without recent activity. Your best JSS score will be displayed based on the rolling windows when it is calculated. Sometimes, new contracts are added that impact your JSS. Other times, old activity is aged out.

~ AJ
Upwork

I clearly mentioned that my JSS was 97% last week and after the update, it got to 100%, I woke up today to see that it went back to 97%. I got a very large contract with positive feedback. None of what you said so far explains why a JSS was 100% from Sunday - Tuesday and on Wednesday, it went back to 97%.

David S wrote:

I clearly mentioned that my JSS was 97% last week and after the update, it got to 100%, I woke up today to see that it went back to 97%. I got a very large contract with positive feedback. None of what you said so far explains why a JSS was 100% from Sunday - Tuesday and on Wednesday, it went back to 97%.

David, there was some bug with the last JSS update and it appears like the engineers may have run it again yesterday. Check your My Stats page to see when the latest update was. 

86a47a5c
Community Member

Hello, a week age i had 94% JSS but recently it became 83%. I don't know the reason, like i have positive reviews and clients are satisfied. What caused this? Thanks!

Hi Sergii,

Thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear about the drop in your JSS. Star ratings are based on public feedback left by clients at the end of a contract as well as the size of those projects. Job Success scores more accurately represent a freelancer’s reputation by taking additional details indicating client satisfaction into consideration. This includes private and public feedback, long-term relationships, rehires, and contracts that do not result in work delivered. The goal is to capture a breadth of information not necessarily reflected in your star rating or profile. You can learn more about JSS here.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
86a47a5c
Community Member

Hello, a week age i had 94% JSS but recently it became 83%. I don't know the reason, like i have positive reviews and clients are satisfied. What caused this? Thanks!

Sergii,

• Ze wrote, "I have positive reviews and clients are satisfied. What caused this?"

Internal feedback was the reason. 

Upwork is getting worse day after day, no one knows how they calculate this JSS thing

singhdaljeet5
Community Member

I am facing the same. 

Daljeet S wrote:

I am facing the same. 

You have a number of contracts that are less than 5 stars. It stands to reason that these clients may have left less than perfect private feedback. You may also have had a large contract with good feedback roll out of the JSS window. 

614fe469
Community Member

I have completed 4 successfull jobs with 5 star rating and only one job refund. Then why it is showing 64% job success score on my profile. It should be above 80%. Please help.

Hi Asif,

Please know that your JSS can change because:

- You receive poor public or private feedback from one or more clients.
- You receive very positive public or private feedback from one or more clients.
- A higher-value job is added to your score and outweighs lower-value jobs.
- Jobs you completed in the past are no longer considered because they are outside the score's time frame.

You can find more information under the "Why did my JSS change?" section in this help article.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
hamsat-isiaka_a
Community Member

My jss was abruptly reduced when it's expected to rise.

Please, help take a look and I will like to know if there is any reason behind that?

Hi Hamsat,

I'm sorry to hear about the drop in your score, but note that the JSS can change for a number of reasons:

- You receive poor public or private feedback from one or more clients.
- You receive very positive public or private feedback from one or more clients.
- A higher-value job is added to your score and outweighs lower-value jobs.
- Jobs you completed in the past are no longer considered because they are outside the score's time frame.

You can find more information under the "Why did my JSS change?" section in this help article.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
614fe469
Community Member

Hello, I have completed 4 jobs successfully with 5 star rating and review. I have only refunded one. Then why is my job success score showing 64%. It should be above 80%. Please review my profile and help !!

hassan907
Community Member

I invited one of my clients to Upwork. After the project was successful the client could not make the payment. According to him, he was unable to attach his bank card. the amount was simply refunded to the client. He is still working on the payment issue. But my JSS rating went down. What can I do about it? I invited the client to Upwork because I wanted to be sure about the payment but, it cost me my JSS rating.

uxidiom
Community Member

I have completed 5 projects, & all are five-star reviews. One project is in progress but my JSS score is 58%. Could anyone explain why?

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Md Hafizur,

Your Job Success Score can change for a number of reasons, even without recent activity. Your best JSS score will be displayed based on the rolling windows when it is calculated. Sometimes, new contracts are added that impact your JSS. Other times, old activity is aged out. If you just started recently on Upwork, there are not enough scores for some calculation windows - either the 6-, 12-or 24-month calculation window. That means it will get the highest score from (most likely) a 6-month calculation.

If you have not completed a job for months, it might mean that there are not enough jobs in your 12, or 24-month window to calculate a 12- or 24-month score from, so it has to calculate your JSS from your 6-month window. Take note that contracts fall out of your calculation windows.

~ Arjay
Upwork
614fe469
Community Member

Hello,

I have completed 4 jobs successfully with 5 star rating and i have refunded only. Then why is my job success score is 64%. It should increase. It should be above 80%. why it decreased so much. I have also posted before but did not get any respons. Please solve my issue. Please view my profile and solve the issue. My job success score should incrased at least 80$.

JSS is calculated by private feedback, not public feedback and the stars on your profile.

One or more of your clients has marked you down privately. You have only completed a few contracts which means any negative feedback will have a greater impact on your JSS.

4b6b46e5
Community Member

Hey, i have completed all my jobs with a 5-star rating and had a previous job success score that was 85%. but today it reduces to 77& and I'm literally in shock that how can I be reduced to such a low. my recent job clients were very happy with my work and I'm sure they have left a good private rating as well so there is no discussion about my private feedback going bad. also in my profile stats, the JSS is showing 85% as previously but in the profile display, it's reduced. Can you tell me why?

Mahnoor, 

Although you have told me that you are sure about good private feedback, I think private feedback was bad that's why your JSS has been dropped. Clients can give you good public feedback and bad private feedback. 

I would like to say that select clients wisely, by then you will never have to think about JSS. 

I agree with your comments for the most part, but with all the vetting required by freelancers trying to decide who might give negative feedback is not always going to work. When it happened to me, there were no red flags, no alarm bells, and absolutely no reason to think the client would tank my JSS. They were great to work with and we had no problems. However, the way it happened, the friendly, happy client was not feeling the same way.

Jeanne H,

Re: "When it happened to me, there were no red flags, no alarm bells, and absolutely no reason to think the client would tank my JSS. They were great to work with and we had no problems. However, the way it happened, the friendly, happy client was not feeling the same way."

Yes, I agree with you. 

Hey Hasan thanks for replying.

The job's i worked recently was really straight forward and there was no reason of any bad private rattings. Also why is it showing different on my profile and in my stats 

The stats are the same now.

I know it's frustrating, but your client left poor private feedback.

Mahnoor, 

Re: "why is it showing different on my profile and in my stats ?"

JSS updation usually happens on profile earlier than my stats. After few hours later both will show the same percentage.

There is no way for you to know what the client left in private feedback. If your JSS declined after the job, the reason is due to private feedback. Your profile is at 77.

matthods
Community Member

All my reviews are 5*, yet somehow my Job Success score has plummeted to 72% which is devastating. Does anybody know how this may have happened?

Why would you think that your JSS changed "randomly"?

That is not how computer algorithms work.

Would it not be more logical to say that your JSS changed due to reasons which you do not understand?

The simple truth is that your public star average scores have little or nothing to due with JSS.

Private feedback is a much bigger factor in JSS, and you have received private feedback which was not so great.

Well of course, hence why I'm asking how this may have happened on the Upwork forum? 😀

One or more of your clients has marked you down in private feedback.

I don't understand why a client would publicly say how happy they are... to then downgrade me significantly, while not even telling me directly they're unhappy though. I'm so confused. Literally, my new main stream of income is probably ruined because of... well I don't know what. 

roberty1y
Community Member

It's not true that a bad JSS ruins you on Upwork. There are people who were below 50 percent and were back to near 100 in six months or so.

Well, that's given me a bit of inspiration at least. It's crazy how a bad review can make you feel in the freelancing world. Been doing this for years, and honestly, today I just wanted to give up. Felt so unjust, anyway, thanks for sharing your experience. That's very positive.

You have to remember that every client is an individual, and not everyone has the same grading system. Then some clients have issues and seem determined to take out their unhappiness on the freelancer after communication is closed.

I understand how awful it can make you feel. My "recommend stats" went down after glowing public and personal feedback. I was upset and frustrated and couldn't understand why the client left anything but the positive feedback I was personally receiving. I worked darned hard on the job and provided excellent material. Why did they do it? You will never know. You have to let it go.

Robert is correct; freelancers have recovered from worse than your JSS. No, it's not fair, but put it behind you and focus on the clients ahead. You'll recover from this feedback.

97854cb0
Community Member

Hi there,

I worked with a client but I could not work with her as her needs were high while she was in training and the contract ended very well after talking to her and before the contact ended my JS was 100% with Top Rated but now my how is JS 89%?  Where the client gave me 4* feedback and if it is less then it should be 95% or at least 90%+.  Please check and recover my JS and Top Rated.

Thanks,

0d23e7ad
Community Member

why my Upwork JSS dropped from 90 to 79 , even i got a 5-star rating last week with no new bad feedback

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members