🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Reason for JSS decrease
Page options
fa749755
Community Member

Reason for JSS decrease

My JSS was 90% last week and in that week I've got 5 star review from my client and the JSS drops to 84% which is weird. Could you tell me what is going on my JSS calculation?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi Amanuel,

Your Job Success Score can change for a number of reasons, even without recent activity. Your best JSS score will be displayed based on the rolling windows when it is calculated. Sometimes, new contracts are added that impact your JSS. Other times, old activity is aged out.

For example, a contract will no longer count in your six-month JSS window once it is six months and one day old.

Your JSS can change because:

• You’ve received poor public or private feedback from one or more clients
  • You’ve received very positive public or private feedback from one or more clients
  • A higher-value job is added to your JSS and it outweighs lower-value jobs
  • Past jobs are no longer considered because they fall outside the time frame

Update: This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation here.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

500 REPLIES 500
theob8y
Community Member

i had a contract with a client, he paied the milestones seperately as bonuses, when he ended the contract he asked for a refund for his money which was in the escrow, i approved his request.

knowing that he left a good review with 5 stars, will this refund affect my JSS ? 

Deleted

tagrendy
Community Member

Refund will not effect the JSS, but private feedback will and you don't know what the private feedback was. Either way, since client already closed the job, whatever effect it will have on your JSS already is done, refunding or not refunding will not change it.

whatacold
Community Member

Hi,

As a new freelancer, I have completed 6 contracts finally and have been waiting for JSS to be updated for weeks. 4 out of 6 contracts were 5-star and the rest two clients were satisfied with the results but they disappeared, so I closed the contracts without their feedbacks.

But Upwork just gave me 79%, why is that?

Likely because one of the clients has left lower private feedback, sometimes clients leave great public feedback but not so great private one.

Hi Guangwang,

Thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear about your JSS. Star ratings are based on public feedback left by clients at the end of a contract as well as the size of those projects. Job Success scores more accurately represent a freelancer’s reputation by taking additional details indicating client satisfaction into consideration. This includes private and public feedback, long-term relationships, rehires, and contracts that do not result in work delivered. The goal is to capture a breadth of information not necessarily reflected in your star rating or profile. You can learn more about JSS here.

Thank you

Pradeep

Upwork
466094f7
Community Member

Hello there I recently got a client that ended the contract and claimed a refund because he was fired from his job although I submitted my work I still refunded him but for some reason, he leave negative feedback and my jss went to 79% from 100% please can someone help me? because of that, I am not getting new jobs 

mohzys23
Community Member

4 weeks ago I had a 98% JSS score, that same week I had 2 ratings that were not so good then my score dropped down to 85% in a few hours. So I recently completed 3 successful jobs on the 20th of February same day the JSS scores were updated. The clients showed 100% satisfaction and still were pleased with my work. The next day which was Monday 21th February, I noticed my JSS score remained at 85% while the client recommended score increased by about 9%. 

Do you think I should send a message to Upwork support or wait and complete more jobs?

30dcb51a
Community Member

Hello there,

I just checked my profile and saw that my JSS decreased to 93, which confuse me a lot. These last two weeks, I only worked on two projects. One of them is an ongoing hourly project. When I click on the feedback section, I get a warning saying the contract is not eligible for feedback yet. The second project is a fixed-price project, and all I did was to submit work for payment, but it hasn’t been accepted by the client yet (She has actually been missing for over 2 weeks now). The second contract also states it is not eligible for feedback yet. I haven’t done anything else on Upwork since the last JSS update. Could someone explain the situation to me? I am very confused right now.

All the best,

Tuba

PS. For the fixed-price project, I had first submitted the work directly to the client in the Messages section. As she just disappeared after that, I waited for 10 days, and then I used the ‘submit for payment’ feature, which was after the due date of the contract. I submitted the work on time to the client, though. Can it affect JSS? The due date? And if so, can’t I prove it through Messages section?

Well, several factors are involved in your Jss including jobs that you've worked upon 6-12 and 24 months before. 

Your Jss might be decreased when a job with good feedback gets out of 6-12 or 24 months window and a new job with relatively not so good feedback is added. 

Yes, but I am new here. All of my contracts are still in the 6 month frame. That’s why I wanted to know it the due date can affect it, or an ongoing hourly project. Thanks for the reply though!

emailfinding
Community Member

Hello,
Last week my job success score was 93% and it decrease to 92%. But no job ended in last 2 weeks. What is the reason?

The JSS can change even if you have no new contracts, since the calculation windows switch. Some better outcome has fallen out.

22b63bc2
Community Member

There was just one contract, that I ended myself as the client became unresponsive. He did hire 7 other graphic designers all for the same job, so I guess mine just didn't get chosen. Is this why my jss is soo low? Please help. This really saddens me as I was expecting I was doing well.

I'm honestly in shock. Last week I was celebrating getting two private job invites, now I'm worried If I'll ever get hired. Should I have left the unresponsive client's contract open?

Screenshot 2022-03-06 202923.png

Screenshot 2022-03-06 182007.png

The client that gave you 4.6 stars was obviously not happy. He must have left a terrible private feedback. Unfortunately, it's your biggest completed job. No point beating yourself over this, the deed has been done. Try completing more jobs, you can recover from this.

how is 4.6 stars unhappy exactly? Alot of people believe that perfection dosen't exist and will simply just refuse to put a 5.0 (as someone from the design field I've met soo many!). I honestly don't think it's him. I'm just doubting the contract I closed myself as he didn't even bother responding 2 months later.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

this was the last reply he gave me.....

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

showed no signs of dissatisfaction, whatsoever. 

Contracts without feedback do not affect the JSS unless they become too many. Public feedback has little or no effect on the JSS. Private feedback is what drives the JSS. One or two of your client must have left not-so-good private feedback. The '4.6 stars' client was completely not happy with the job you did. He likely left an awful private feedback.

oh okay. Thank you for your time in helping me understand what happened. I appreciate it.

James O wrote:

Contracts without feedback do not affect the JSS unless they become too many. Public feedback has little or no effect on the JSS. Private feedback is what drives the JSS. One or two of your client must have left not-so-good private feedback. The '4.6 stars' client was completely not happy with the job you did. He likely left an awful private feedback.

Not any longer. They changed that years ago.

Really? I didn't know that. Thank you.

georgezl
Community Member

A client decided to close a contract because they no longer needed the work, so why should my stats drop from 100 to 90? This isn't fair

Which stats? I still see your JSS at 100%.

a93a916d
Community Member

I am new to Upwork I have completed 7 jobs in which clients gave me 5 stars and as well gave  bounce after completing the jobs Now my first JSS is 50% what can I do please suggest me thanks

Hi Sami,

Thank you for reaching out. Please know that your JSS can change because:

• You receive poor public or private feedback from one or more clients.
  • You receive very positive public or private feedback from one or more clients.
  • A higher-value job is added to your score and outweighs lower-value jobs.
  • Jobs you completed in the past are no longer considered because they are outside the score's time frame.

You can find more information under the "Why did my Job Success Score change?" section in this help article

~ Luiggi
Upwork
frenchiebali
Community Member

Hi there, 

I'm new to upwork and I'm trying to understand how JSS works. I have read a lot about it already and just freshly got my JSS starting yesterday.

But I do not understand why it shows only 88% while I have successfully done 6 contracts. Only 5 reviews but all 5 stars out of these 6 contracts, but I read that since last November, the JSS is not impacted negatively anymore because of lack of review from a client.

So I just don't understand...

If someone could explain me why, would be amazing. Because it hurts working well and not getting a matching score, specially with a new account. 

Hi Sandra,

Thank you for your message. Star ratings are based on public feedback left by clients at the end of a contract as well as the size of those projects. Job Success scores more accurately represent a freelancer’s reputation by taking additional details indicating client satisfaction into consideration. This includes private and public feedback, long-term relationships, rehires, and contracts that do not result in work delivered. The goal is to capture a breadth of information not necessarily reflected in your star rating or profile. You can learn more about JSS here.

Thank you

Pradeep

Upwork

Thank you Pradeep.

Sandra B wrote: So I just don't understand...

Someone left less enthusiastic private feedback.

Stars are basically eye candy. The AVERAGE star rating on Upwork is 4.9.

What matters for the JSS is private feedback.

Thank you Petra. 

chef-charbel
Community Member

Guys does job success score counts only the points i receive from customers or something else is included? I've had JS 100% for a long time until i received 4.8 from one customer and my JS went down to 94% directly!!!!

Hi Charbel,

Thank you for your message. Job Success Scores reflect a wide range of factors such as public and private feedback, long-term contracts, and repeat ones. You can monitor your Job Success Score on your My Stats page. Please see the following link for more info about what affects your score. 

Thank you

Pradeep

Upwork

Charbel A wrote:

Guys does job success score counts only the points i receive from customers or something else is included?

Private feedback

i received 4.8 from one customer and my JS went down to 94% directly!!!!

That will have been poor private feedback.

hamdyahmed90
Community Member

My JSS Dropped Down to 83% Suddenly idk why, i have a Project that im still Working on So what happened exactly !!?

Hi, here is a help article with further details on the JSS Calculation. Projects over 24 months are no longer included in the calculation. Hope this helps.

Job Success Score – Upwork Customer Service & Support | Upwork Help

JSS is decided by private feedback. Some of your clients have rated you down privately.

that was a very long time ago and my jss has been up to 100% even after than happened with long while so !!? 

Yes, but as contracts fall out of your calculation windows, there are eventually not enough outcomes in a window to calculate a JSS from, so it defaults to the next best one.

arizm
Community Member

My JSS dropped from 96% to 93%. I have been working with the same client for over 2 months(Full-Time) now. Both of us are happy and was discussing taking on additional responsibilities earlier today. Can someone help me understand what is actually happening here?

moonraker
Community Member

An older, good feedback has probably dropped out of your calculation window.

arizm
Community Member

If that is the case, I am definitely in a tight spot. Will active 2+ months contract add towards my JSS?

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members