🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Referring an outside freelancer to an UpWork ...
Page options
emailforcoffey
Community Member

Referring an outside freelancer to an UpWork client.

I'm a copywriter, working on UpWork. During a recent prehire call for a writing job, a client asked if I would be able to refer a graphic designer to work on the design side of the job. I know a couple of good designers, but they don't use UpWork. 

Q: Is it against the UW ToS for me to suggest the client contact a designer outside of UpWork for their design needs? I would (assuming I land the contract) still be fulfilling the writing contract through UW as usual.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Matthew,

For now, you can only refer freelancers on Upwork to a job invite or to a client. Referring freelancers that are not on Upwork is not allowed and it is in violation of our TOS.  Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
aliharvey
Community Member

I believe it would be against UpWork policy, since any client met through UpWork needs to be helped through UpWork as well. Have you considered recommending Upwork to these designers?

Thanks Alisha - good point, but in this case it's not a major sticking point for the client, so it's probably not worth my time to start recruiting designers to the platform 🙂

I'll just suggest he sources designers through UpWork himself - there's plenty of talent. 

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Matthew,

For now, you can only refer freelancers on Upwork to a job invite or to a client. Referring freelancers that are not on Upwork is not allowed and it is in violation of our TOS.  Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thanks Goran - I figured that was probably the case but worth checking. 

jr-translation
Community Member

Matthew C wrote:

I'm a copywriter, working on UpWork. During a recent prehire call for a writing job, a client asked if I would be able to refer a graphic designer to work on the design side of the job. I know a couple of good designers, but they don't use UpWork. 

Q: Is it against the UW ToS for me to suggest the client contact a designer outside of UpWork for their design needs? I would (assuming I land the contract) still be fulfilling the writing contract through UW as usual.

If the client agrees, you can sub-contract the task and hire the designer. This way you have to pay the Upwork fees for that task as well, but it could be a solution.

Thanks Jennifer - that seems like a straightforward solution, but I've no desire to be the middle man, especially if issues arise. I think I'm just going to keep it simple - do my bit, and let the client figure out the design side!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members