Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refund connects when application's withdrawn, please

Community Guru
Steven E. L Member Since: May 5, 2015
51 of 116

@Antonio A wrote:

I've seen a lot of jobs posted that I think isn't serious enough to be legitimate.

The warning signs I've seen is the client just signed up, has no hires, no payment verification. I hope UpWork can come up with a way to filter out these suspicious jobs/clients who have no intention of hiring anyone at all.

How is a Client expected to build a history of hires if Freelancers are encouraged not to bid on their contracts?

This mentality is the same one shared by new Freelancers claiming the system is rigged against them because they have no feedback, JSS, stars or other trinkets attached to their profile.

I'm aware of the dead-end posting, but none of the above is positively indicative of an illegitimate posting.

Ace Contributor
Rai B Member Since: Jul 24, 2015
52 of 116

Hi all, my first time here also.

I did not know about these connects but understand we need to respect them now.

Problem is I have used ALL my connects and only 1 client has responded. I decided to withdraw my applications expecting my connects refunded but no? So what does that mean? Its hard enough getting work through upwork as it is with out clients leaving jobs active for over an month. Ok you can withdraw but my conncts?

upwork is great and works well when its working for you but it is flawed.

Rai

Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
53 of 116

That would kind of defeat the purpose of connects, which is to limit the number of jobs you can go after. When you only have 30 proposals you need to think carefully about what jobs you bid on.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
Community Leader
Scott E Member Since: Feb 24, 2015
54 of 116

Yeah, it's like a betting shop letting their punters get their money back if they change their mind, or feel the bet is unlikley to win, when the race is already running.  

Serghei S Member Since: Aug 5, 2015
55 of 116

Hi,

I'm new on Upwork and I'm trying to take the first job but its really hard to do it bc clients don't want to deal with freelancer with no feedback/rating. And I'm using each Connect carefully  applying for jobs and in the end 50% of clints decline your proposal or they forgot about their Job Posting and I can't refund those connects. 

Upwork team, is this right way to attract new freelancers? 

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
56 of 116

@Serghei S wrote:

Hi,

I'm new on Upwork and I'm trying to take the first job but its really hard to do it bc clients don't want to deal with freelancer with no feedback/rating. And I'm using each Connect carefully  applying for jobs and in the end 50% of clints decline your proposal or they forgot about their Job Posting and I can't refund those connects. 

Upwork team, is this right way to attract new freelancers? 

There is no reason you can't apply for a job if you are qualified even if you don't have all the listed qualifications ie. hours, etc on Upwork. My first client wanted someone with x amount of hours, I had all the other skills and wrote a good cover letter and was hired. 

Community Leader
Aaron H Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
57 of 116

Just like in the real world, if you submit a proposal, the client is under no obligation to hire you. It is your responsibility as a freelancer to pick your clients wisely.

Community Guru
Ian David John E Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
58 of 116

Aaron

With respect think about what you are saying!  You said "Just like in the real world, if you submit a proposal, the client is under no obligation to hire you. It is your responsibility as a freelancer to pick your clients wisely."

In the real world you dont need connects to apply for jobs!!!

Jason G Member Since: Oct 14, 2015
59 of 116

This would be amazing if we could get them back by withdrawing, It's especially hard for someone like me who doesn't often bid under $50/hour when I'm up against cheap laborers who will design for $5/hour.  I have burned through all but 12 of my connects without much to show for it halfway through the month.

I know for certain it's not a problem with my skills or portfolio but more or less my rates, I can't justify underselling myself to compete with people bidding way too low for the projects and as a result I have to burn through a lot of connects to land a real client.

Such fun...

--------------------------------------
I design just about everything.
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
60 of 116

Ian David John E. said:

"In the real world you dont need connects to apply for jobs"

But actually, you do. They are not called connects. They are called postage stamps or air/train/bus/car/cab fares depending on your level - even walking to an interview costs in terms of time.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS