cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rehire a former freelancer-propose new terms

Ace Contributor
Roslen M Member Since: Apr 29, 2016
1 of 12

I recently received an offer from an old client. The offer was at my old hourly rate. I looked up the article "Rehire a former freelancer" to get an idea of the client side interface when rehiring a freelancer. It says "When you make an offer, the freelancer can accept, decline, or propose new terms. If the freelancer declines, you may make a new offer. If the freelancer proposes new terms, you may accept or decline." When I looked at my job offer there was no option for "propose new terms". I contacted support to ask about this and was told that freelancers can not propose new terms in an offer, only in the messages before an offer is sent. I referred her to the "Rehire a former freelancer" help page. She then told me that specific paragraph of the help page should be rewriten to reflect this. Can someone clarify this for me?

Here is the "Rehire a Former Freelancer" help page that is confusing:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063628-Rehire-a-Former-Freelancer

Community Guru
Kim F Member Since: Aug 26, 2015
2 of 12

I would like to know this, too. It is the second thing that has come up over the last few days which attempts to force freelancers into accepting the budget offered rather than choosing their own rate.

Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
3 of 12

A client who recently re-hired me said they ran into the same problem.

Come on, Upwork, make it easy and describe the process accurately in your own documentation.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 12

Thanks for bringing this up, Roslen. We'll have the help article reviewed and corrected so it describes the process properly. 

Freelancers can propose different terms on a job posting, in other words they can change their proposal.

Once they get an offer, they can either accept it, decline it or message the client to discuss it. If they don't accept it, the client can send a different offer. Again, we'll make sure the Help Center reflects that.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
5 of 12

So what is the process FLer should take to insert current rates without angering clients who are getting incorrect info?   Neither buyer nor FLer can wait until U gets around to correcting this ....

6 of 12

Hi Wendy,

The freelancer can decline any offer that they don't agree or message the client to let them know that they would need to edit the offer in order for it to be accepted.

Additionally, I'd like to clarify that when a client sends a direct hourly offer by clicking Hire Now on the freelancer's profile, the freelancer's current hourly rate will be filled in by default.

If the client clicks Rehire to send an offer to the freelancer they have had a contract with before, the same rate as on that previous contrant will show by default. However, the client will see the freelancer's current profile rate right below:

Screenshot_11.png

Additionally, I've just posted an update about the issue with fixed-price proposals that was also mentioned here being fixed.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
7 of 12

Thanks, Valeria.  Does the FLer also see the notification that the buyer has been appraised of his/her new rate?  If so, it should save mass confusion as the FL will know the client won't be blindsided.

Just as an aside - I always share my contact info with clients and have them reciprocate.  This has the added advantage of clients will almost always contact you first to discuss the project, your interest and availability, and the estimated cost. It goes without saying - FLers are contractually obligated to keep the buyer on U for a 2 year duration.

Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
8 of 12

Hi, Wenday.

What do you mean by, "FLers are contractually obligated to keep the buyer on U for a 2 year duration."?

9 of 12

Wendy C wrote:

Thanks, Valeria.  Does the FLer also see the notification that the buyer has been appraised of his/her new rate?  If so, it should save mass confusion as the FL will know the client won't be blindsided.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean, Wendy. I apologize. To clarify, client will always see the freelancer's current profile rate when making an offer. It'll either be pre-filled by default or show right under the pre-filled rate. The freelancer will then see the offered rate before accepting the offer.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
10 of 12

Does the FLer see the two numbers -old rate as well as new rate - that the buyer sees?  I.e., is the FLer visually aware of the fact that the buyer sees both rates?

Such a small % ofll users read the forums without visual confirmation from the FLer end, too many will be confused; unaware, or taking up CS time.

Make sense?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS