🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Reportable client?
Page options
saileigh
Community Member

Reportable client?

I recently applied to a job and was asked by the client to write a sample article. I don’t normally do this, but I was OK with this particular client for various reasons (it wouldn’t be a huge loss for me to not get this job). But after a few days of not hearing back, I thought maybe he took the sample article I did and ran. I went back to the original job post and saw that he interviewed the same amount of freelancers (10) as articles needed (10) and didn’t actually hire anyone…On a gut feeling, I checked out other jobs he’s posted and it looks like he has done this on every single one. Interviewed the amount of freelancers for articles he needs but doesn’t hire.

I’m now thinking that this guy has freelancers writing sample articles that he’s using, not hiring anyone or paying for anything. Is this something that Upwork would actually investigate if I open a ticket? It’s hard to prove as I don’t have a direct confession from him, but his job postings and hire rate seem to speak for themselves.
9 REPLIES 9
bilawal24
Community Member

You should contact Upwork's Customer Support.

I'm planning on it, I'm just not sure whether or not they'll actually do anything. I've had to go back and forth with them recently on a very simple (tech related) issue, so I'd hate to see this stay unresolved, as I feel like Upwork is getting unrealistic for freelancers to navigate with no real client profiles and clients not held accountable.

Regardless of whether or not you report this client, you are too smar to fall for this trick again.

It wasn't something I fell for, as I used the outline of an article I already had on hand, so it really was "sample" work. If he tries to publish it, it will technically be plagiarism.

Sai L wrote:

I'm planning on it, I'm just not sure whether or not they'll actually do anything. I've had to go back and forth with them recently on a very simple (tech related) issue, so I'd hate to see this stay unresolved, as I feel like Upwork is getting unrealistic for freelancers to navigate with no real client profiles and clients not held accountable.

You flag the job posting for the client asking for free work. This is not allowed. Upwork might ban him since they don't like not getting their fees. 

2e395a62
Community Member

I'm a rookie here but "been there, done that" already - lesson learned, no free work ever again. Honestly, when I look at the number of words written while discussing the projects with the client via UW message center, it sometimes gets way too close to the number of words required to complete the project 🙂 

You are 100% right - that is the engine. You split your task into many small parts and ask the freelancers to complete each part as a trial assignment. One day, the job's done. 

sullivanliz
Community Member

Yeah, that's why we don't do free sample articles.

Here's how I address the "Free Sample" thugs.

Thug = 🤑

Me = 😈

🤑: Could you first provide a free sample?

😈: Sure! Initiate an hourly contract.

🤑: Oh! You won't provide a free sample?

😈: I will. But the contract hasn't started.

🤑: But I don't want to pay for the sample.

😈: You won't. The sample is free, my time is not.

What kind of person asks a freelancer for a free custom sample?

Screen Shot 2021-09-18 at 6.43.59 PM.png

It's not even a valid way of determining what kind of work a freelancer will do if the client actually hires her. The unpaid nature of such a test distorts the results of the test.

Freelancers who provide free custom samples waste their own time, they undermine the Upwork platform as a whole, and worst of all, they undermine the success of legitimate clients.

Screen Shot 2021-09-18 at 6.49.12 PM.png

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members