Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Residing in Two Countries

6ea6c316
Active Member
Sally P Member Since: Dec 29, 2019
1 of 6

I currently reside in both San Diego, CA and Baja Mexico....I spend 80% of my time in Mexico and Visit my clients in San Diego on a weekly basis...>how do I remove the out of country submissions on y proposals for future bids? I do NOT want to be labeled out of country as I can drive 30 minutes north and be in California.

 

How do I send Propsals and not be flagged for out of the country?

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 6

Sally P wrote:

I currently reside in both San Diego, CA and Baja Mexico....I spend 80% of my time in Mexico

How do I send Propsals and not be flagged for out of the country?


But you *ARE* "out of the country". If you are in Mexico 80% of the time, your profile location has to be set to Mexico, because you are not in the USA. It really does not matter how long it takes you to drive to the USA, that is not where you live.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 6

Unfortunately, Upwork isn't set up for people who live simultaneously in two different countries. There may not be a perfect solution for you.

 

If you have government-issued identification showing you place of residence is in the United States, and if you can go there any time, then you should be able to specify the United States address on your profile.

 

But if you live in Mexico and frequently travel to the USA, it may be best to specify Mexico as your place of residence.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 6

Preston H wrote:

If you have government-issued identification showing you place of residence is in the United States, and if you can go there any time, then you should be able to specify the United States address on your profile.


Really? When did the rules change, Preston? I have government issued ID showing addresses in Germany and Scotland. I do not live there. I am not allowed to set my profile as living there because it simply isn't true.

 

She's already said that she lives in Mexico and drives to the US to visit clients. I don't think giving advice that can get a profile suspended is helpful.

 

feed_my_eyes
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
5 of 6

Petra R wrote:

Preston H wrote:

If you have government-issued identification showing you place of residence is in the United States, and if you can go there any time, then you should be able to specify the United States address on your profile.


Really? When did the rules change, Preston? I have government issued ID showing addresses in Germany and Scotland. I do not live there. I am not allowed to set my profile as living there because it simply isn't true.

 

She's already said that she lives in Mexico and drives to the US to visit clients. I don't think giving advice that can get a profile suspended is helpful.

 


I've got passports for three different countries along with the right to live in any EU country, so things could get pretty confusing if I used Preston's definition. But I've seen no clear rules as to how long you have to spend in one place in order to be considered "living" there according to Upwork. As I understand it, my place of residence is not just my current address, but also where I pay taxes, where I'm registered to vote, where my bank is located, the address that I give for insurance and medical benefits, etc. - for most people, this is not going to be more than one place. 

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 6

Christine A wrote:

Petra R wrote:

Preston H wrote:

If you have government-issued identification showing you place of residence is in the United States, and if you can go there any time, then you should be able to specify the United States address on your profile.


Really? When did the rules change, Preston? I have government issued ID showing addresses in Germany and Scotland. I do not live there. I am not allowed to set my profile as living there because it simply isn't true.

 

She's already said that she lives in Mexico and drives to the US to visit clients. I don't think giving advice that can get a profile suspended is helpful.

 


I've got passports for three different countries along with the right to live in any EU country, so things could get pretty confusing if I used Preston's definition. But I've seen no clear rules as to how long you have to spend in one place in order to be considered "living" there according to Upwork.


Support will generally tell you "2 + months"

 

When I moved to Italy I was told to change my location within 60 days.


The OP stated that she lives in Mexico 8 months a year and bases her "I am in the USA" statement on "I can drive to California in half an hour." She even states that she "visits" San Diego... You don't "visit" the place you live in.


When I lived in Germany I could drive to 3 other countries within an hour. That did not mean I lived in Switzerland, France or Austria.

 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS