🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Salary review
Page options
lilitlyolik
Community Member

Salary review

Hello professionals ☺️ 

Hope you're all good and safe. 

I need an advices, my question is about salary review. 

I'm feeling uncomfortable to talk about it with client. Thinking I will do him unhapoy with it , and I don't know why but can't do it. 

I have a very good client with interesting project. We're working kore than 6 months. 

I wrote once, that I want to review my salary, he told we need to have a meeting when he will find time. After 2 weeks this war have started with Russia and Ukraine and the cryptos when down .  I thought if after 2 weeks he didn't found time for our meeting may be it is not good time. I wrote once againz that I'm ready to wait. ( I know I didn't need to write him about it ).

I'm thinking that first should be humanity after it money , and don't want to disturb with this, but at the same time I'm getting different invites for interview and rejecting all as busy on this project. 

Now I'm feeling a bit unmotivated. 

UpWork success partner via email has recommended me work by 40$ /hr. But I'm working by 25$/hr . I'm expert level in illustration and graphic design. 

I wrote details to let you know that may be it will look not normal each 1-2 weeks to write let's review my salary, oh no it's not good time let's wait , and again ask to review 🤯🤦🏻‍:female_sign: 

Sorry for the long story. 

Thank you very much for all advices. 

Peace to all, and be safe !

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
data_divas
Community Member

I personally would wait longer than 6 months before raising my rates.  I take into consideration that the client has provided income for a long time and will continue to provide steady income for the future. This is worth something to me. I would wait a year, and I would offer my good current clients a discount off my current rate.  I have found that goes over well when raising rates.

Also you do not ASK to raise your rates, you tell your client that you rates have raised to $ amount and did they want to continue working with you at the new rate or did they want to find another freelancer.  It does not matter what the range per hour was on the posted job, that ship has sailed.  If you wanted more then you should have bid higher when you applied. Were you happy to get this job at the time at the rate you bid? It's good to think about how this worked out for future contracts.

You say you are feeling unmotivated.  If this job is not working out for you then let the client know nicely and give them time to find a new freelancer.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
martina_plaschka
Community Member

You are not an employee, you don't get a salary. 

You are a business owner. If you don't want to work for this rate, don't. I don't know what you mean by upwork success partner's recommendation - that means absolutely nothing. Now you are unhappy because of a fictional number?

Even if you were a salaried employee, would you expect to get a raise after 6 months? Why?

I would not be a happy client in this scenario. You need to make up your mind what you want, and take responsibility for your own decisions. 

Dear Martina , thank you for your replay. 

upWork success partner has reviewed my profile and worte some statistics and suggestions. 

Anyway my client wrote this job post with expectations of price between 15$/hr-30$/hr. 

Now I have a task which will take around 1,5-2 years time. I know that he spent already long time and money, but this task is still not finished. 

I don't want  it look like ultimatum.  

Anyway I understand your point. 

Thank you very much. 

data_divas
Community Member

I personally would wait longer than 6 months before raising my rates.  I take into consideration that the client has provided income for a long time and will continue to provide steady income for the future. This is worth something to me. I would wait a year, and I would offer my good current clients a discount off my current rate.  I have found that goes over well when raising rates.

Also you do not ASK to raise your rates, you tell your client that you rates have raised to $ amount and did they want to continue working with you at the new rate or did they want to find another freelancer.  It does not matter what the range per hour was on the posted job, that ship has sailed.  If you wanted more then you should have bid higher when you applied. Were you happy to get this job at the time at the rate you bid? It's good to think about how this worked out for future contracts.

You say you are feeling unmotivated.  If this job is not working out for you then let the client know nicely and give them time to find a new freelancer.

Hello Julie. Thank you very much.

I was happy with my rate at start of my work with this client. 

I'm not going to tell him bye and don't want to end contract. For sure if for any reason I'll do it I will give him enough time and I will show to another freelancer the technical details how to continue the task which I have started and made by my own way. 

I will ask him, if possible to change my rate. 

I don't want to write just I'm informing that my rates have been changed, as I'm going to work with this client as long as he have a job for me. 

Sorry for my English may be I'm described all not very well. 

I'm thinking it is not very easy to find a contract where you haven't stress, haven't short timelines , have a professional and good client, at the same time I haven't enough support with my baby it's means I'm working mostly at night time. Means I'm tired this not letting me to think fresh enough )) and this the reason to write this post in community. 

So, I should think 100 times before do something what can live me without income. I needed all these your advidlces to learn a bit your experience. 

I will think a bit, then will ask to my client about meeting. 

Thank you so much. 

Have a great day :cherry_blossom:

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members