🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Scam??
Page options
5e6d0d8d
Community Member

Scam??

Im a virtual assistant and for my client i list their apartments on websites! But, when i listed the apartments, my account got flagged and locked. I was asked for identification. Does this mean this is a scam??

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

  

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
d_samuel_udokpok
Community Member

That's a scam. first, you broke Upwork ToS by communicating with clients outside the platform. Second, the client will get your account flagged and blocked without paying you. Third, you won't get paid for all the time you've spent on that job 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
d_samuel_udokpok
Community Member

That's a scam. first, you broke Upwork ToS by communicating with clients outside the platform. Second, the client will get your account flagged and blocked without paying you. Third, you won't get paid for all the time you've spent on that job 

Thank you so much for telling me! I had no idea! I will correct my actions and read the ToS as soon as possible. I had no idea that anything outside of Upwork was not recommended.

That will help understand the dos and don't

It is a big problem that so many new freelancers are unaware of these things. Upwork should tell them all this when they are signing up instead of relying on them to find it in the ToS. If they did, the number of scams might go down and the number of people getting scammed would defintely go down.

pgiambalvo
Community Member

Yes, it is a scam. All payments must come through Upwork and not off-site like Paypal. This is why you were suspended. You should have not agreed to do that. And you not have comuunicated off of Upwork with them, as that is also a violation. Please read this: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Community-Blog/Top-Red-Flags-for-Scams-From-Community-Member-Wes-C/b...

Thank you as well! I had no idea that this was not recommended nor allowed. I will fix my mistakes, read the ToS and be more careful now that im aware.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members