🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Scammers sucking out credits.
Page options
lazarov_viktor
Community Member

Scammers sucking out credits.

Hello, I am web and crypto developer as such I submit proposals to the appropriate jobs.

All jobs except one I have submitted so far have been scammers. I have reported them, their accounts have been restricted and I am not getting any Connects back.

Is there a process for getting the Connects back? One of those scams included a phishing link verified with VirusTotal.

5 REPLIES 5
spectralua
Community Member

Yes. You flagged job, Upwork deleted it for ToS violation, connects refunded.

Understood and I don't mean to be a crybaby about it. Just there were 3 jobs with the same initial message and PDF and only one got taken down.

Anyways, case closed spending time on this much longer is not worth it (except for UpWork).

How many jobs have you sent proposals to, and how many of them are obvious scams? How many of them deleted, and at how many deleted jobs did you get your connects back?

There's nothing crybaby about it. If Upwork doesn't delete obvious-and-flagged scam jobs, meaning the connects are not returned, people who have been saying that Upwork is a scam might prove correct 😁

I can't test because I rarely send proposals, and never send one that turned out to be an obvious scam (where I can't "force" Upwork to delete them).

They weren't obvious at the beginning, just normal jobs about web3/blockchain development (I can hear some people saying "How on brand for the blockchain.", to those people I say "no").

At first they weren't obvious scams until I got chatting to them, at least 10 were sending the exact same templated message with a PDF that leads to a Google form, where you are prompted to enter your email. A few days later I had an email about "UpWork coin" with a link to buy. It went right through Gmail's filters (I did not fall for that).

Other scams were the client invites you to a fake GitHub (a popular place where code is stored) repository and tells you to run the app then you get a code to "activate" the application. A closer look reveals that this application has nothing to do with blockchain and infact syphons data from your browser or PC (depending on the setup).

I deleted the others with the templated message and to be fair, some have been banned. But I have not gotten connects back, which were 100-200 (the jobs were pretty competitive).

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

But I have not gotten connects back

This part is very important. You must get connects back on jobs deleted by them (Upwork). That's why I asked if the jobs were obviously scams or not, because they can argue that the jobs were left to expire, not deleted for ToS violation (and don't need to return connects) if it's not.

As I mentioned yesterday, they've thought about a lot of things so they can't be blamed. So, if you're sure you did not get connects returned on deleted jobs, you must ask for it. It's your right. Otherwise, we'd have an obvious lie by Upwork.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members