🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Scammers
Page options
burnsp
Community Member

Scammers

I submitted 15 bids yesterday and 8 jobs have come back as scammers.  Why is there no vetting going on before they are posted.  You appear to be missing a step in the process.  This is in the Executive Assistant/Virtual Assistant catagory.   I want all my bids back.   I need work and would be happy to assist Upwork with some ideas on how this can be mitigated.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
roberty1y
Community Member

There's nothing more Upwork can do about it, really. Just flag the scammers' posts and wait for them to be taken down. But they'll come back again. We can never put them out of business, but we can make it almost impossible for them to steal anyone's money by following a few simple rules.

Don't communicate with anyone off the site until a contract is started (you're violating the terms of service if you do). Don't pay out any money, no matter what excuse you're given for doing so. There's no scenario in which a legitimate client will ask you to pay for something out of your own pocket.

2a05aa63
Community Member

There's vetting. I can't imagine what the job post would be without it.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Patricia, 

I'm sorry to learn about your experience on Upwork. I want to clarify that when a job is removed by Upwork, Connects used to apply for it is returned. If that doesn't happen automatically for any reason, sometimes the team would return Connects manually.

Since you are new here, I recommend reading up on these tips to avoid questionable jobs to help you work safely on Upwork. 

If you see any inappropriate jobs in the marketplace, or you feel like it's something that the team should review, please don't hesitate to report it by following the steps here to go to the team's queue for their review. 

Let me know if you want me to look into any specific job post or anything I can assist you further with.

~ Avery
Upwork
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Patricia B wrote:

I submitted 15 bids yesterday and 8 jobs have come back as scammers.  Why is there no vetting going on before they are posted.  You appear to be missing a step in the process.  This is in the Executive Assistant/Virtual Assistant catagory.   I want all my bids back.   I need work and would be happy to assist Upwork with some ideas on how this can be mitigated.

Thanks

You probably mean connects? You will get them back when a job posting is taken down by upwork for a violation. Your part to make that happen is flagging the job posting for a violation. 

When you applied to the job, nothing warned you that it could be a scam, right? How do you expect upwork to recognize it when you can't?

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members