Did you mean: 

Shady Jobs: Share the Ones You've Seen

screeler
Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
21 of 27

I'm not in the states. I'm in Canada.

But permission is always good.

I never intend on using it in a court of law anyway. It's for my personal use in case they deny anything they say in regards to money or the scope of the job. 

So I'm good. 

screeler
Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
22 of 27

And of course I use it so I remember the conversation because I have been known to suffer from brain fog. I rarely do voice interviews it's usually done in text over uw or Skype .

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
23 of 27

@Kristine S wrote:

He asked to alk by Skype - so obviously I do not have any screenshots as we talked by phone. Yesterday I suggested chat but he wanted the phone only. 

Kristine,

OK, he asked. It's up to you whether you choose to do business that way. Personally, I never accept Skype conversations until it becomes clear through correspondence that such a conversation would be beneficial.

Best,

Michael

chikuse
Community Guru
Jiang C Member Since: Dec 8, 2013
24 of 27

@Douglas Michael M wrote:

@Kristine S wrote:

He asked to alk by Skype - so obviously I do not have any screenshots as we talked by phone. Yesterday I suggested chat but he wanted the phone only. 

Kristine,

OK, he asked. It's up to you whether you choose to do business that way. Personally, I never accept Skype conversations until it becomes clear through correspondence that such a conversation would be beneficial.

Best,

Michael

Most of my clients asked to talk by Skype too, and I accepted almost every time except once, when the client asked to Skype with video. Why is Skype talk bad? Anything I should know? Maybe I should avoid that in the future.

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
25 of 27
Jiang,

Many contractors use Skype, and many avoid video.

I avoid real-time conversations because they're usually not a good use of my time.

Best,
Michael
chikuse
Community Guru
Jiang C Member Since: Dec 8, 2013
26 of 27

@Douglas Michael M wrote:
Jiang,

Many contractors use Skype, and many avoid video.

I avoid real-time conversations because they're usually not a good use of my time.

Best,
Michael

Thanks Michael! I see what you mean. That reminds me of a client I had. I had a contract in place already, and I'd finished phase I. He said he'd call me to discuss the report on Skype at 7am. I waited till noon, and he didn't call. I wasn't able to do any other projects because I was thinking he might call any time; and I didn't have the time tracker on since I was not actually discussing the project. I wasted the whole morning that day. 

lomen_jan
Community Guru
Jan L Member Since: Jul 5, 2015
27 of 27

I see that clients are avoiding UW messaging as a plague. The only alternative I offer them is e-mail. 

I have to keep the record of my correspondence. 

So far, the shadiest job I had Iit was with farming client that wantted my fonts, open files, etc while it was a job about illustration. It was a sterssfull experience for a low paid job and made me force rasie my price, because the shadiness always comes with miniscule price tag. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS