cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I close my inactive fixed price contracts?

maritapm
Marita P Member Since: Sep 8, 2017
1 of 7

Here's the deal. I have two inactive (haven't worked for months) contracts. Both of them will need me for future collaboration, as they told me, but their tasks can be far far away from each other. I have experience of one of them getting back to me after 2-3 months of being in an inactive contract. And the second one just gives me 1 article two write from time to time.

Basically, I haven't worked on the first contract since October, and on the second one since November. I know that inactive contracts can affect my job success score. It's 97 now and I'm pretty much satisfied with it, but I'm wondering if these contracts can any how affect the score in the future, because it's been a really long time since I've had the last milestone. 

Should I ask the client to close the contract and rehire me if they want future collaboration? What else could I do?

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
BEST ANSWER
2 of 7

Marita P wrote:I know that inactive contracts can affect my job success score.

Provided you have (ever) been paid something (anything) on those contracts, and don't have a huge percentage of them, they do no harm open or closed, and do not affect your JSS either.

View solution in original post

ottavinidesign
Ace Contributor
Davide O Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
3 of 7

Would it be possible to have a more precise/in-depth answer? Or maybe just a precisation.

I'm in a similar situation as OP (Altough it's a long-term hourly job): The client informed me that their company is not planning to have as many (or any) projects "in this part of 2019", but they want to keep the contract with me open, so whenever they need some work done, they can always count on my services.

The issue is, I remember reading that if a contract stays "inactive" for an extended period of time (can't remember if it was weeks/months/years) it will affect my JSS.

Obviously there is no mention of any of it, not for the hourly job section/page dedicated to this specific case atleast ("Put an Hourly Contract on Hold").

I'd like to keep my JSS as high as possible and not making it tank for no reason at all just because a contract is inactive. Would it be better to put the contract on hold? Or does that have some JSS repercussions aswell? Should I just close the contract and tell the client to make a new one when they need me?

Thanks in advance,

Davide

petra_r
Community Guru
4 of 7

Davide O wrote:

Would it be possible to have a more precise/in-depth answer? Or maybe just a precisation.

How much more precise or in depth than "If you have been paid anything, ever, under the contract, it has no effect" could it possibly be?

If you have been paid anything, at some point, under that contract it has no impact and does not affect your JSS, regardless of whether you leave it open or close it.

Davide O wrote:

The issue is, I remember reading that if a contract stays "inactive" for an extended period of time (can't remember if it was weeks/months/years) it will affect my JSS.

Only if nothing has EVER been paid under the contract, or you have a huge number of such contracts, which you don't.

ottavinidesign
Ace Contributor
Davide O Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
5 of 7

Hence the "Or maybe just a precisation"...you never know with Upwork, you know? Sometimes your JSS takes a hit and you have no idea (nor any way to find out) why that happened...so I find it pretty fair to be so cautious about things, sorry if it came off the wrong way.

I appreciate your confirmation though; Glad to hear that I can keep the contract open and not worry about my JSS (since I received payment from the hours spent on it).

Thanks again.

geniusunil1
Sunil S Member Since: Jun 2, 2021
6 of 7

Okay, what is "a huge percentage of inactive contracts that might cause a problem"?
I have 3 contracts, 1 out of them is inactive. I've been paid for that inactive contract in the past.
Is 33% a huge percentage to worry about?

petra_r
Community Guru
7 of 7

Sunil S wrote:

I have 3 contracts, 1 out of them is inactive. I've been paid for that inactive contract in the past.
Is 33% a huge percentage to worry about?

You have 17 contracts, not 3, so 1 in 17 is absolutely no problem but why don't you just close the inactive contract and be done with it? If the job is done and the client has vanished, there is no point having it hang there. It's obviously not doing any harm as your JSS is 100, and inactive contracts with past payments are generally not a problem anyway.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS