🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Specialized Profile
Page options
navidzafar
Community Member

Specialized Profile

Hi All,

How many Specialized Profiles can a Freelancer create/have at a time?

Thanks for your input.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Uros,

Please be reminded that users are only allowed to have one main profile and having multiple accounts is a violation of Upwork's TOS. We know that you may have more than one skill to offer your prospective clients. That’s why we developed Specialized Profiles.

With a specialized profile, you can tailor your unique skills to your audience on Upwork and create variations of your profile that showcase your experience within specific categories. For example, you can separate the work you've done as a mobile game developer from your work as a translator or graphic designer.

By having a Specialized profile, your profile will contain an indicator that you have other specialized profiles, and the client will have the option to switch between those versions when viewing your profile (similar to how you switch between versions when editing your profile).

You can delete your Specialized Profile from Settings > Profile Settings. Please keep in mind, that if you only have one specialized profile, you will not see the option to delete or unpublish it. But you can always edit the information for accuracy and to reflect your current experience and skills!

~ Arjay
Upwork

View solution in original post

213 REPLIES 213

Hi Daanish,

When a client uses the search function to search for freelancers we will show them your most relevant profile. For example, if they specifically search for Graphic Design and you have a specialized Graphic Design profile, that profile will be shown in search results. They will still have the option to click the 'All Work' profile to check our portfolio items and other information on your general profile. You can also add the related portfolio items on your Graphic Design profile so that it will be visible on your specialized profile as well.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

Bro thats is the actually headache to add back all my work to a new profile 😞

daae46e8
Community Member

How many specialized profiles can I have, and what does the number I can have depend on?

Actually, I only have 2 and the system doesn't allow me to create more.

2 max for anyone.

barinedum
Community Member

Hi, 

When i created upwork, i was a web developer and i used that as my main profile gig. I have two specialized profiles on data analysis and technical writing. The thing is, i want to delete the web developer profile and replace it with the data analysis profile. How do I do this?

Hi Barinedum,

You won't be able to delete your main profile but what you can do is edit it to feature what you wish to be your main skill. From there, if you'd only want to have one Specialized Profile instead of two, you can delete one of them by going to your Profile Settings

~ Luiggi
Upwork
46dd3c3a
Community Member

Hi Malek,

Thanks for your question. You are able to delete any specialized profiles created, as long as you have at least one available. To delete, if you have more than one, go to Settings, then click “Profile Settings” on the left. Scroll down to find the title “Specialized profiles”, click the ellipses icon next to the profile you’d like to delete, and select “Delete”.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

Thank you! 

154ba352
Community Member

Hello community.

I would like my specialized profile (accounting) to be highlighted instead of my all work profile (virtual assistance/customer service). Can you help me do this?

Thank you

Moussa F.

Hi Moussa,

We certainly understand your concern. Please note that your general profile shows all the projects you have worked on in Upwork. We designed this type of profile to show all the skills you offer to your potential clients. On the other hand, your Specialized Profile only shows the work history for the projects you choose to feature. 

That said, this is made by design, your specialized profile cannot be your default profile upon logging in. However, your profile will contain an indicator that you have other specialized profiles, and clients will have the option to switch between those versions when viewing your profile (similar to how you switch between versions when editing your profile).

Alternatively, you may want to consider editing your general profile. For more information on editing specific profile sections and tips to help make your profile stand out to clients, check out this help article.

~ Arjay
Upwork
154ba352
Community Member

Hello Arjay, and thank you for your explanation.

My main job is accounting, and other activities like customer service/virtual assistance come second. I have two main reasons for my question:

First reason: I had exchanges with a client who offered me an accounting contract at the rate of the general profile, which is lower than the rate for the accounting profile. This happened because she went to my profile and saw the rate I proposed, but she didn't know that there is a specialized profile section where the rate is different. I was able to explain to her that the rate she mentioned in the proposed contract is the rate of the general profile, not the rate I proposed in my cover letter, which was the same as the rate for my specialized profile. Since she communicated the rate of the general profile to her superiors, their budget was based on that rate. It was difficult for her to go back to her superiors and say that the rate had practically doubled from what she had communicated. However, we eventually reached a consensus, as she agreed to increase the rate from $7 to $10 instead of $15.

Second reason: This is my second contract on Upwork, both in the field of accounting. When I look at my earnings certificate, it mentions the title of the general profile, even though I haven't had any contracts in that field. My wish was for the accounting profile to be mentioned instead.

Thank you

Moussa F.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Moussa,

Thank you for reaching out. It seems like the first matter can be resolved by properly communicating with your client. As for the second one, the title that will appear on your Certificate of Earnings will be that of your general profile. You can change it before downloading a copy and change it back when you're done downloading the file.

~ AJ
Upwork
154ba352
Community Member

Hello Annie

Thank you for your message 

fd79e4a1
Community Member

I have two Specialized Profiles:
-All work

-Other Digital Marketing

I think I did that back with the specialized profiles started, and just put a very vague title. I like everything else about the profile, so I don't want to have to recreate the entire thing, just to change the name on the left column. I have a very specific niche, and you can't see that. Can anyone help me out with this?

Hi Sharon,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Yes, you can edit your specialized profile title by switching to your specialized profile and hitting the pencil icon here. You can always edit the information for accuracy and to reflect your current experience and skills! Feel free to check out this help article to learn more.

~ Arjay
Upwork
cec1c8e3
Community Member

I discovered that I can't unpublish or delete my specialized profile. There is practically no option for such in the profile settings. Is there a way around this?

Go to your Profile Settings
Scroll down to Specialized Profiles 
Click the three dots 

You will see the options for deleting the Specialized profile
Screenshot (62).png 

Screenshot_20230714-215918.png

Thank you so much for your response sir. But I see no 4th option there on mine. There's no 'Delete' option anywhere as seen in the screenshot. I only have View, Edit and Switch Specialty. Or are you using the Plus version? 

okay

anikkhan1991
Community Member

i am new please help me. 

please review my profile.

https://community.upwork.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/1637799

hamnaazhar
Community Member

I have 1 specialized profile currently.. 
Now when I create a new one, it replaces the previous one
How can this be resolved ?

You have to be switching it

Yes but there are 2 profiles only even after I created a new specialized one

Maybe because I created the new specialized profile in the same category ?
Can't I have both in 2D Animation?

cec1c8e3
Community Member

Hi! Please, who knows how I can delete or unpublish my specialized profile?

I am having trouble locating a way to delete or unpublish it, as shown in the attached screenshot.

chrome_521b9iexB4.png

Hi Joseph,

If you only have one Specialized Profile, you won't be able to delete it or unpublish it. I'd suggest that you edit it to accurately reflect the skills you wish to display on it. You can check this help article to learn more.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
cec1c8e3
Community Member

Okay, thanks. 

5ec11767
Community Member

Hi Rakibul,

You should be able to add a Specialized Profile to your account by going to your Profile Settings and clicking on Add Specialized Profile. You can check this help article for more information. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
iamzloy
Community Member

I swear I completely abused the support chat bot with questions, clicked all over possible places in the amazing Upwork's UI—I cannot find a way to remove a specialized profile.

In profile settings (https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/settings/profile) I can only see this “Specialized profiles” section. Clicking on one shows this popover with only seemingly useful actions “View” and “Edit”:

CleanShot 2023-08-02 at 20.12.31.png

They both lead to my public profile, only difference being is the view-only mode.

CleanShot 2023-08-02 at 20.12.50.png

I want to only worry about a single specialization, have the same rate, same skills, same description when applying to client's projects. How can I do this? Can I remove this and just keep one? Does anyone know?

Thanks!

Hi Igor,

Thank you for your message. I checked your account and see that you have one general and one specialized profile on your Upwork account. You are able to delete any specialized profiles created, as long as you have at least one available. To delete, if you have more than one, go to Settings, then click “Profile Settings” on the left. Scroll down to find the title “Specialized profiles”, click the ellipses icon next to the profile you’d like to delete, and select “Delete”.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
iamzloy
Community Member

Hi Pradeep,

Thanks for your reply! I'm not sure I follow—isn't that the same thing that I mentioned in my post initially? If you look at the first screenshot I attached, there isn't a “Delete” option there. Or am I looking in the wrong place?

cec1c8e3
Community Member

Your issue isn't different from mine at all. You can see from my screenshot. 

Hi, I think Upwork needs to look into this specialized profile thing, please... Why should I be able to create and publish a specialized profile but can't unpublish or delete it?

cec1c8e3
Community Member

I noticed I had the same issue, I asked questions and was told I can only delete specialized profiles when they're more than one. Meaning, you can't delete a specialized profile after publishing it. You can only edit and keep using it or create another one.

648cdde5
Community Member

I created a specialized profile. now I can't find it.

Karen,

Please complete you current Profile and get a few Jobs before going to specialized profiles. Click the Academy link on the top of this page for tips. Thanks!

Hi Karen,

Thank you for reaching out to us here in the Community. I can also confirm that you have a specialized profile. Please remember that you can switch between versions of your profiles by going to Find Work › Profile. Please check this screenshot for your reference. You may also check this help article to learn more about managing your specialized profile.

~ Arjay
Upwork
fc54eb93
Community Member

Hi, 

I have been working as a translator on Upwork since 2021. However, recently I have learned web development as well. Can I switch my profile to a completely different niche without any repercussions?Also, I am quite aware of the concept of creating a secondary profile with another skillset BUT I want to set the profile related to web development as my primary one.

Will it cause any bad results?

Thank you!

Hi Gurmehakdeep,

Thank you for your question. I would recommend you create a Specialized profile for web development skills. You can create up to two specialized profiles on your Upwork account to include more specific information about your skills. Check out this help page for more information. 

- Pradeep

Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members