Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still not getting any jobs,

dsparnell1960
Ace Contributor
Deborah P Member Since: Sep 19, 2016
21 of 26

After doing a lot of research and realizing that Data Entry probably wasn't my best bet, I re-worked my Profile.  Would someone take a look and let me know what you think?

brianajross
Community Leader
Briana R Member Since: Jul 8, 2015
22 of 26

Hmmm, your profile comes across salesman-like. Your in a field where writing thoughtful, professional sentences will help demonstrate your level of professionalism. Exclamation marks, for example, don't show that.

A sentence or two explaining how you helped previous employers be successful would go a long way. Think about a project, initiative, of situation in your past experience where you "saved the day", helped increase sales, streamlined a process, saved money for the business, caught a critical mistake, etc. Demonstrate your skills and value.

Also, a word about your rate: your rate should reflect your value overall, not the time you've spent on UpWork. Who cares if you've only been on UpWork for a few days/weeks, you've been in your career field for over THIRTY YEARS. Would you take a job down the street for your posted rate? I hope not, you're probably worth a lot more than that. Furthermore, your rate on UpWork should be higher than what you would accept in the physical world for two important reasons: 1) UpWork takes 20% right off the top and 2) As a freelancer, you're responsible for 100% of your employement taxes, social security, health care expenses, retirement savings, computer hardware/software expenses, other overhead, and local business taxes. Take those costs into account when deciding your hourly rate, otherwise you're net take-home could be less than minimum wage.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
23 of 26

Hi Deborah,

I see you have a ticket where you reported this client but could you please add a screenshot of your conversation with them where they request you to accept payments outside of Upwork. Since this communication happened off of the platform we don't have access to this evidence. We would appreciate is you shared it so we could take appropriate actions.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Upwork
pandoraharper
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
24 of 26

@Deborah P wrote:

Still not getting any jobs, every proposal comes back declined.  Would someone look at my profile?

Deborah, I get that asking you to read up on Upwork might make you feeling like it's taking a step back, but Upwork has a bit of a learning curve, even for those who come from a corporate setting.

Belive me, it's in YOUR best interests to know how Upwork works (so that when weird things happen, scams come your way, etc) you know exactly what to do, and hopefully, even how to prevent those things from coming your way.

I've been on Upwork for 5+ years and STILL learn new things. So hang in there, and do read up on Upwork. It will save you from a lot of heartache and stress 🙂

joshvamos
Josh V Member Since: Sep 26, 2016
25 of 26

I reworked mine... I'd hire me... I can add more to my portfolio. Does a testimonial help?

pandoraharper
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
26 of 26

@Josh V wrote:

I reworked mine... I'd hire me... I can add more to my portfolio. Does a testimonial help?

@ @Josh,

I'd suggest some spacing (it's a little "wall of text-ish", but great updates. Testimonals do help. Usually those go towards the end of your Overview.

You updated protfolio had me at "Gangland", which I've read about. I've seen members with 3 pages of Portofolio items, which seems sorta overkill. The amount you have now is probably sufficient.

I sorta recall getting "blocks of text" into small sections is tricky. Be careful of MS Word code messing with your copy. I recommend copy/pasting your final copy from a text file. You might still have to fight for line breaks.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS