Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestion: Feedback for Every Milestone

anne_ginger
Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
1 of 14

Hi everyone!

I've recently read a comment by another freelancer suggesting that there should be feedback for every milestone for fixed price projects. I've seen the same being voiced out in other freelancer forums/fora as well as freelancing FB groups.

I think it is a great idea and protects freelancers from a deadly single feedback left by a vindictive client in case a long-term project goes bad in the end.

How it can work: The final star rating will only be visible to the public after the contract ends and it will be the average for the whole project.

Maybe oDesk can consider this?

Thoughts?

I posted this here because we don't have a feedback section and the Ideas Exchange section is not yet available.

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
aseembhalla
Community Guru
Aseem B Member Since: Dec 20, 2014
2 of 14

Hey you kind of stole my post 😛 but yeah plus one for this.

I have had more than one bad experience(and one really really bad one) with clients leaving a poor comment or rating in the end of project even though there are complements during the first few deliveries. I know that odesk insists on not disputing the feedback from clients but this seems like an acceptable solution.

anne_ginger
Community Guru
3 of 14

You're not the only person who have thought of this Aseem 😛

It has been mentioned a few times in this forum and the old one plus oDesk FB groups. I think it's about time it got a thread of it's own so the right people can read and see this.  🙂

I truly hope someone from the right team gets to see this.

rolandofgilead
Community Guru
Mattia G Member Since: Mar 10, 2014
4 of 14

Well, I think that oDesk should really give it a try... this may really address a lot of feedback related issues.  

Thumbs up for the idea! Smiley Very Happy

“Go then, there are other worlds than these.”
―Stephen King, The Gunslinger
kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
BEST ANSWER
5 of 14

Thank you all for sharing your opinions and ideas about the feedback system. I will share your suggestions with the Team.

~ Valeria
Upwork

View solution in original post

anne_ginger
Community Guru
6 of 14

thanks for forwarding this suggestion Valeria 🙂

andre090904
Community Leader
André U Member Since: Dec 5, 2013
7 of 14

I also want to thank both of you, Dianne and Valeria, for bringing this up.

I really have fear of these "never-feedback-providing-clients" and oDesks rather random punishment for something we freelancers cannot control. Maybe this method is a good compromise.

Best,

André

elmigno
Laurent M Member Since: Jul 12, 2016
8 of 14

Hi Valeria,

Any updates on that? I think everybody thinks it makes sense... And frankly, I don't even get the point of milestones. Why not create other jobs? (with terms both the client and the freelancer can agree upon, rather than a one-sided relationship where the client can unilaterally create new milestones you are forced to accept at a price, timeframe and other conditions you didn't agree upon?). 

And I don't see how Upwork could believe it makes sense to create a context when someone could work for a client for three years with 50 milestones (meaning he or she must be doing something right) and end up with one star because the client got angry about ONE thing... I've seen clients leaving agencies for extremely stupid reasons, there is no reason it could not happen on Upwork. 

What's taking so long? What are the cons? What was discussed and why did the Upwork team didn't think it was a good idea to:
-Protect freelancers from abusive milestones they didn't agree on (forcing them between to choose ''not fulfilling the job (in the eyes of the system, because they in fact did) or becoming the client's slaves)?
-Prevent freelancers from building work history
-Putting the freelancer more at risk of ending up with a bad review, even though it was an overall long-lasting, positive relationship (that just ended up on a poor note). Why should the whole experience get defined by a last milestone a freelancer probably didn't even agree to do?    

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
9 of 14

Hi Laurent,

You can check out and participate in a more recent discussion about it and see various opinions users shared.

Currently there are no plans to add an ability for clients to leave feedback after each milestone.

~ Valeria
Upwork
prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
10 of 14
Having clients leave feedback for every milestone is an idea that has a lot of merit. As a practical matter, however, I would point out that such a thing is not yet in place, so what are we as contractors to do?

My recommendation is to limit the use if milestones as much as possible. There really is no practical advantage to using a milestone if you are a contractor. It is better for us to use separate contracts or jobs for each individual task. I know it is not always possible to persuade clients to set up work that way, but that is always my goal.

I know clients tend to think in terms of projects, and there is a natural tendency to think of one whole project as being one job or contract. So making an entire website or web application or software program is one job or contract in their mind. But it is in our best interest as contractors to dismantle that mindset. It is better for contractors and ultimately better for clients to break work down into smaller chunks which are handled as individual contracts.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS