🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Suggestions on Connects system
Page options
3linap
Community Member

Suggestions on Connects system

Hi all 👋

Many changes have been made through the years to make the Connects system fair for everyone

My personal opinion.. 🤓

👍  Positive changes that made freelancers choose wisely and be picky when applying for a job:

- Less monthly renewal connects

- Boost proposal

- Purchasing connects

- Refunding boosted connects or when a job is closed

👎 Negative changes that I personally consider not fair:

- Job posts for more than 12 connects when a freelancer gets only 10 per month

- Clients not fully informed (I assume..) on how connects affects a freelancer

🤞 Suggestions that might keep a good balance:

- Increase renewal connects back to 20/month

- Job posts to require a maximum of 12 connects

- Refund connects when a job is posted and the client never starts at least one interview while keeping the post active forever 

- Freelancers having the ability to exchange connects with each other

Looking forward to your comments and upvotes! 👍🤓

Elina.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
hoyle_editing
Community Member

I see a lot of posts regarding connects and what should or shouldnt be done. Much of the time it comes across as a complaint about paying something for the service that is provided and i have always been fairly fixed on my opinion of the matter. 

Picking a few of the items you mention...

I agree with your positive changes except...

-Boost proposal

My own experience of this has been ineffective, I also think it shows Upwork is putting monitary value over skills. This is not helpful to freelancers and I see no benifit whatsoever to a client that now has boosted proposals shoved in thier face no matter how underqualified the booster is for the position.

Negative changes -

I agree most clients probably are not aware about how connects work, and to be honest I dont think it would change much if they knew!

I do however think Upwork need to provide clients with some kind of template for posting a job that ensures they at least attempt to write full information and either put a sensible budget or suggest rates based on previous similar posts.

Suggestions - 

renewal connects to 20 a month -

well, im on the fence with this, I can see why you suggest it, but at the same time part of me thinks they shouldnt give any away free. I have seen countless videos over the years from so called experts suggesting opening multiple accounts to get the free connects then just take clients off platform. I realise many of us would never do that, but there are plenty that would abuse the system given half a chance.

-Exchange connects,

This is a big no from me for that. I have indeed had plenty of times where i have had hundreds of connects expiring and would of happily given them away if i could but I think allowing this, would open up to many possibilities for abusing the system.

The only possible way I can see it perhaps work, would be to say only between toprated freelancers, though I cant see it ever being implemented.

View solution in original post

33 REPLIES 33
kbadeau
Community Member

That last suggestion is a terrible, terrible idea. We already have way too many freelancers, way too many fake profiles, and as far as I'm concerned, freelancers have access to way too many connects. Freelancers SHOULD have to be very careful with connects. The problem is not that clients don't get enough proposals; the problem is that clients get way too many garbage proposals. I know Upwork is between a rock and hard place because they "need" to be profitable, but they're lowering the quality of their own product by encouraging race to the bottom proposals by focusing on connects to try to limit low quality freelancers when what they need to be focusing on is getting rid of unqualified freelancers and ensuring that the ones they already have are high quality and skilled.

We do not need a bunch more fake profiles being created so we can exchange connects.

3linap
Community Member

Hi Kelly. I totally agree with everything you say. Especially when it comes to garbage proposals and fake accounts! Plus, as I mentioned to my post: changes that made freelancers choose wisely and be picky when applying for a job exactly because clients would get too many proposals.

Maybe I didn't put my suggestion correctly: Let's say we know each other, we are friends or colleagues, and you find a job post that you like and consider important but don't have enough connects. Wouldn't be nice if you asked me to share a few with you in order to get the job? 🙂

bilsim
Community Member

Business is not about fairness, it's about bringing value to a client. 

Scams and fakes in connects exchange could be avoided by limiting the exchange process to top-rated established profiles only. But why would we do this? Now that most jobs cost 12 or 16 connects, I have no extras to share. That doesn't make any sense. How would you organize this process?

3linap
Community Member

Hello Biljana.  👋

I believe in both value to the client as well as to the freelancer.. Maybe 'fair' is not the word? I'll use the word balance. I know there are a lot of fakes but I'm not referring to them. I'm referring to myself and all professional freelancers. 

Also to make clear that I'm not suggesting random sharing but only by consent.

As you said yourself, you have no extras to share. And as I replied to Kelly above: Let's say we know each other, we are friends or colleagues, and you find a job post that you like and consider important but don't have enough connects. Wouldn't be nice if you asked me to share a few with you in order to get the job? 

I might sound a bit naive on that matter. However, I'm suggesting this with all good intentions. I have freelancer friends that I brought to Upwork and I feel sorry when they get to apply 1 proposal per month or have to purchase connects when they're still getting started. It'd be my pleasure to share my connects. 🙂

I agree with Kelly, sharing connects is just as bad as giving them away. Too many fake and scammer freelancers are on this platform now. I am so tired of people who do not understand self-employment, expecting everything to be given to them.

No free connects, no returned connects unless it is a scam that was not obvious, no connects for interviews (big scam) and no connects for interviews.

Instead, you are grown-ups in self-employment. If you don't have marketable skills, all the connects in the world will not help you.

The more connects flooding the platform, the worse the situation for all real freelancers.

debi-f
Community Member

Don't waste your money buying connects, and don't waste your connects boosting your proposals.

If you do it, you are paying to Upwork for finding a job, and not receiving money from a client. Serious clients will evaluate your skills and not the number of connects you use.

I suggest even not paying a membership. Use the 10 free connects and only buy 10 connects more ($1.5) ONLY if you find a job that fits your skills.

If Upwork does not get money from the freelancers, maybe they will care to avoid the scammers, or do something about clients that post jobs and never hire anyone. 

3linap
Community Member

May I ask why is everyone focusing on scams and fake profiles?

To start over: the topic here is about how Connects can benefit freelancers, especially new ones who are starting up, so they can build a good reputation and career. And I'm referring to serious professionals, not scams.

I mentioned a few 👍positives, 👎negatives and 🤞suggestions.

It seems like one thing stands out: the exchanging connects idea. No reason to worry about scams. You will only share with someone you know and trust. Besides, that's the least possible to happen anyway, so I really wonder why the fuzz 😅

Looking forward to more comments, suggestions and advice.

Elina.

celgins
Community Member

I don't think I would have a problem with a Connects exchange system; especially if, like you said, you're only sharing Connects with someone you know and trust.

The problem is, I'm not sure how it could work because I don't think most freelancers here know each other. Would some freelancers be inundated with countless messages from other freelancers asking for Connects: "Please, please, please... send me Connects. I only need 20 to bid on this really cool job?"

If I remember correctly, Upwork mentioned (somewhere in these forums, I think) that a reason they don't allow Connects sharing is because too many freelancers would "game" the system. They didn't really explain what that meant though.

3linap
Community Member

Hi Clark 👋

I wasn't aware this matter has been mentioned before and that Upwork has already decided not to proceed with the 'exchanging' concept..

too many freelancers would "game" the system.  

mmm I think we know what they mean 😅

Also I have to admit that when I read 'countless please please messages' ..it almost felt real 😯 and NOT a good idea!

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts! 🙏🙂

atreglia
Community Member

Elina P wrote:

May I ask why is everyone focusing on scams and fake profiles?

To start over: the topic here is about how Connects can benefit freelancers, especially new ones who are starting up, so they can build a good reputation and career. And I'm referring to serious professionals, not scams.

I mentioned a few 👍positives, 👎negatives and 🤞suggestions.

It seems like one thing stands out: the exchanging connects idea. No reason to worry about scams. You will only share with someone you know and trust. Besides, that's the least possible to happen anyway, so I really wonder why the fuzz 😅

Looking forward to more comments, suggestions and advice.

Elina.

I think the focus on scams and fake profiles is because the platform is full of them right now, and some people just see red at the mere mention of connects.  There’s was no reason to be pounced on like that for simply trying to be helpful, and presented with a well thought and organized list of suggestions.

I’m pretty much negative on most items in your list.  I say that because I happen to believe there’s nothing wrong with trying to earn an honest dollar or two.  Because of that, I feel it is incumbent on Upwork to police their own platform and let the creme naturally rise to the top.  So, on that note, as long as connects are here, the items that resonated most with me are:

• Boosting Proposals-I don’t see anything good about that as it prioritizes money over skills.
  • Informed Clients-It would be nice, but I’d be willing to bet dollars to donuts they wouldn’t care anyway.
  • Refunding Connects:  This is a big one for me.  If a client never interviews or hires, connects should be refunded.  That’s the very least Upwork could do to help mitigate the loss of time some freelancers put into their proposals.  Further, it’s accepting money for something that was never for sale.  I’m not quite sure how to better explain that; if we are paying for a “Connection” and the client chose, for whatever reason, not to connect with anyone, then that was a failed connection through no fault of the freelancers and the connects should be returned.  OR, at the very least, connects should be returned just as a matter of good faith toward the hands that feed them.
  • Exchanging Connects:  Again, no reason you should have been pounced on for this.  I’ve thought of it too, and if we both thought of it, I’m sure many many others have too.  I think this is a great idea.  I’m not sure how it could be monitored, but if it could, I say go for it.   I see expiring connects as a waste when they could be going to good use.  Instead of exchanging connects, I thought it would be a good idea to donate them.  I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard freelancers say they had so many connects that they expired.  I mean, I guess they were trying to emphasize how a “successful” freelancer operates but it fell on deaf ears with me because I saw it as a complete waste of resources that, with the right plan in place, could have been put to very good use.  
3linap
Community Member

Hi Anna 👋

Thanks for your reply. As far as I can read we only disagree on the Boosting system.. and to be honest I think all people here might be right that it's not a good thing, as you said: it prioritizes money over skills.

As for client's getting informed properly and refunding connects, we're on the same side! 🙂

Connects SHOULD be refunded when a client never returns to start an interview..

Finally, regarding the exchanging connects idea, I'm so glad someone kind of agrees with me or at least had the same thought! It's true that many connects go to waste..

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts 🙏🙂

celgins
Community Member

From Anna T: I’ve thought of it too, and if we both thought of it, I’m sure many many others have too.
From Elina P: Finally, regarding the exchanging connects idea, I'm so glad someone kind of agrees with me or at least had the same thought! It's true that many connects go to waste.

A bunch of freelancers have thought about this.

I haven't applied to many jobs lately, but when I was more active, I never used all of my Connects. If, for instance, I plan to go dormant for three months, I don't see any huge issues with transferring my Connects to another freelancer who wants them.

It would be great to receive a message like the following:

celgins_1-1690289504510.png

😂

(Please note: The graphic above is not real. Freelancers cannot exchange or donate Connects.)

3linap
Community Member

COOL! 😂😂

atreglia
Community Member

Clark, You cracked me up!  Bam, and just like that the connects crisis is solved!

tlsanders
Community Member

Are you aware that Upwork had to strictly curtail the practice of giving freelancers 10 free connects when they were interviewed because networks of freelancers quickly sprang up to create fake jobs and give each other fake interview to collect unearned connects? 

3linap
Community Member

Hi Tiffany.

No I wasn't aware.. and I find it sad, annoying, cheating and above all unprofessional that there are so many people out there who don't respect other people's efforts to start and build a serious freelancing career..

I don't know how Upwork can gain control on this matter.. but why should they?

More freelancers = More profit

bilsim
Community Member

How would the share happen? Somebody who has extra gives them away to somebody who can't afford them? I don't see any other sensible structure. So the first person is sponsoring both their and the second person's business?

tlsanders
Community Member

Not exactly, because many of us have connects pile up that are just expiring. It would cost nothing to share them. I still think it's a bad idea, but it is something that many freelancers could offer at no cost to themselves.

2ef54d61
Community Member

One of the main problems with the connects increase is that it really screws clients who have small, one-time jobs. Experienced freelancers aren't going to blow 12 connects on a job to earn $50, so they'll just get flooded with low-quality freelancers who don't understand the system. 

It's also not good for good freelancers, because now we have major incentive to never apply for these kinds of jobs, because the risk/reward ratio is just awful.

That's true, but have you considered that since those jobs are worth almost nothing to Upwork, it may benefit them to push both clients and freelancers to work on more worthwhile projects or move on? 

It's possible if they're weighing the value of those jobs vs the necessary resources to host them. Hard to say what their reasoning is. But from the outside, it still seems to me that 10% of a $50 job is better than 10% of no job at all. 

Stuart H wrote:

It's possible if they're weighing the value of those jobs vs the necessary resources to host them. Hard to say what their reasoning is. But from the outside, it still seems to me that 10% of a $50 job is better than 10% of no job at all. 

I'm thinking that's doubtful because if they're not weighing the value of $5 minimum jobs, they're most likely not doing it for $50 jobs.  But I do agree; 10% of $50 is much better than 10% of zero!

That's only true if the 10% exceeds the cost of hosting and administering those jobs. My understanding at the time was that the reason Upwork shifted to 20% fees on the first $500 was that they were losing money on many small-dollar jobs. Imagine, for example, that a client posts a $10 job, so Upwork receives one dollar. If any Upwork staff members spends 10 minutes engaging with either the client or the freelancer, Upwork has paid more to manage that job than it received--and that's not even counting infrastructure cost. 

The fact that they dropped that higher fee and instead imposed increased costs on large, long-term contracts suggests to me that they don't expect to be dealing with large numbers of those small jobs moving forward. For whatever reason (probably connects), they don't just pull the plug on them. But, they are certainly making them less attractive.

3linap
Community Member

I'm sorry my friend.. Are you talking about me??

If so, let me remind you that this is a public forum and I'd recommend not to be disrespectful in any way. I don't think I insulted anyone and this is a place where I can share my opinion.

If you don't agree.. either put it nicely or don't reply at all or at least share your thoughts about each suggestion and convince us you're right.

a50ad41a
Community Member

Hi

hoyle_editing
Community Member

I see a lot of posts regarding connects and what should or shouldnt be done. Much of the time it comes across as a complaint about paying something for the service that is provided and i have always been fairly fixed on my opinion of the matter. 

Picking a few of the items you mention...

I agree with your positive changes except...

-Boost proposal

My own experience of this has been ineffective, I also think it shows Upwork is putting monitary value over skills. This is not helpful to freelancers and I see no benifit whatsoever to a client that now has boosted proposals shoved in thier face no matter how underqualified the booster is for the position.

Negative changes -

I agree most clients probably are not aware about how connects work, and to be honest I dont think it would change much if they knew!

I do however think Upwork need to provide clients with some kind of template for posting a job that ensures they at least attempt to write full information and either put a sensible budget or suggest rates based on previous similar posts.

Suggestions - 

renewal connects to 20 a month -

well, im on the fence with this, I can see why you suggest it, but at the same time part of me thinks they shouldnt give any away free. I have seen countless videos over the years from so called experts suggesting opening multiple accounts to get the free connects then just take clients off platform. I realise many of us would never do that, but there are plenty that would abuse the system given half a chance.

-Exchange connects,

This is a big no from me for that. I have indeed had plenty of times where i have had hundreds of connects expiring and would of happily given them away if i could but I think allowing this, would open up to many possibilities for abusing the system.

The only possible way I can see it perhaps work, would be to say only between toprated freelancers, though I cant see it ever being implemented.

In terms of giving away surplus connects: Unfortunately, when people try to do a nice thing, it's under the assumption that other people will be nice, which isn't always the case. Apart from the potential harassment people might receive, it opens the door to silly arguments about people promising connects they didn't deliver or sending less than they'd agreed (for example). Then the recipient gets cross, everyone gets shouty and someone tries to pull in customer service to mediate. And we all know how that would go...

Hi Jonathan 👋

Very well said.. Thank you! Allow me to mark your reply as solution 👍🙂

759e32fa

Hi everyone,

A number of comments have been removed because they were in violation of Community Guidelines. Please, be mindful of the Community Guidelines and be respectful toward other users when posting.

~ AJ
Upwork
3linap
Community Member

Hello Annie. I'm so glad a Moderator replied..

Maybe you can share your expert opinion on this topic? It will be more than helpful.

Thank you,

Elina.

I have about 80 connects this months, as soon as I am appliying for the jobs my connects near to finish, meanwhile already applied jobs did not close or returned my connects. What can be any effective solution to this issue ?

As I am a plus member also to this plateform.

Can you please guide in this regard.

The solution when you are out of connects, is to buy connects.

elisa_b
Community Member

Every possible proposal designed to allow freelancers to save/donate/get back/spend less connects would go against Upwork's own interests. The platform earns money from connects, there is no intention at all to reduce freelancers' spend - it is rather the other way around. We have to come to terms with that.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members