🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Surprised with the rates, need some advice
Page options
lusinebars
Community Member

Surprised with the rates, need some advice

Hey there! 

I'm new to Upwork although have more than 10 years of experience in the branding and design fields. I'm quite surprised how can the rates for design work (like creating a logo, brand identity, or corporate printing materials) can be so low. Like how is it possible for a designer to create a logo for $20 or branding for $50? 

Is there any advice on how to find more acceptable rates or more projects? Will be grateful for any advice on how to grow here. Thank you!

11 REPLIES 11
jaycrutcher
Community Member

It's possible because there are enough cut rate freelancers willing to take anything and give everything to get the job. You just have to hold to your rate and accept that you're going to get fewer jobs because of it. But over time you will find that you had to do half the amount of work to make twice the earnings of many of the freelancers in your field.

Thank you! will continue trying and do my best!

This is exactly what my experience has been, too. Hold on to what you know your work is worth. If you find you need to accept a few lower-paying gigs to get your profile going, write down a timeline or number of jobs that will serve as a limit for yourself. I often find myself getting caught in a "competitive," self-defeating sort of mindset and appreciate the reminders from myself and the community here and elsewhere to value ourselves (while also respecting that we all have to make a living). ❤️

afrozaalice
Community Member

Hi Lusine,
All the clients budget is not same. They are offering as their budget. There are lots of wirk with high budget. You can apply there. Stay Happy and Smile.

Thank you Afroza! really appreciate some encouragement! thank you!

55e1aa11
Community Member

hey dn wry just stay wt ur quality talent u ll gt more than this ....

Thank you!

roberty1y
Community Member

Clients get what they pay for. If you offer a good quality service, you can charge a lot more. If I got a logo done for $20, I'd be running it through Google Images to see if it was stolen.

Robert Y wrote:

Clients get what they pay for. If you offer a good quality service, you can charge a lot more. If I got a logo done for $20, I'd be running it through Google Images to see if it was stolen where it was stolen from.

Fixed that for you.

adamomarianna
Community Member

Hi Lusine.
I understand the problem. I have a lot of experience in my work and I see job offers with very low compensation. I just don’t accept. I only accepted once to start working on the platform. But there are also interesting proposals!

the-right-writer
Community Member

Before someone replies and suggests you lower your rates to dirt cheap, don't do that.

You have a great profile with a full portfolio. You should charge what you feel you want and deserve, within the going rates.

Upwork needs to update its financial ads to clients.

There are scammers cruising for new and inexperienced Upwork users, so make sure you read and follow the Terms of Service. Then read this excellent advice from Wes.   The biggest mistake people make is going outside of Upwork before a contract is in place. 

With your profile, you have the talent to do well. You will find clients who want the work for nothing and some who could care less about quality. However, there are good clients who understand the value of your service. I recommend you aim for good clients who will pay you fairly. It may take a bit longer than applying for cheap jobs, but it will establish you as a skilled freelancer who knows your value and isn't desperate for money.

Be particular about the clients. If there are any red flags or you just feel something is off, be very careful. Make sure you understand fixed price and hourly tracking contracts. You have to protect yourself from scammers beause no one will do it for you.

It may take time to establish yourself, but I think you will do well. Stay true to yourself and set your rates according to your skill.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members