🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Suspicious Client
Page options
fcaf4d95
Community Member

Suspicious Client

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Moderators, 

I want to highlight this client's bad conduct in inviting freelancers to the telegram group. please stop him. Here's the link  of the job: **Edited for Community Guidelines**

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ArjayM

Hi Rida,

We truly appreciate you reporting this here. However, I can't seem to find communications in your messages with this client. I'll have this further reviewed by the appropriate team and rest assured that they will take action accordingly if it's necessary.

We also encourage you to let us know if a TOS violation has happened by using the Flag as Inappropriate option throughout the platform. You can learn more about user reporting here.

~ Arjay
Upwork

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
ArjayM

Hi Rida,

We truly appreciate you reporting this here. However, I can't seem to find communications in your messages with this client. I'll have this further reviewed by the appropriate team and rest assured that they will take action accordingly if it's necessary.

We also encourage you to let us know if a TOS violation has happened by using the Flag as Inappropriate option throughout the platform. You can learn more about user reporting here.

~ Arjay
Upwork
fcaf4d95
Community Member

Oh, I didn't communicate with him. However, telegram group invite scams have increased significantly and it was very apparent from his post and history. I tried using the 'flag as an inappropriate' button but it didn't work. Next time I'll use the button. 🙂

lhentadeo
Community Member

Good day!

I also experience as new in this field I don't know which is scam or legit.

Don't go outside of Upwork if you haven't got an active contract. It may be useful to join a work related messaging system when you are working on the project but any client who asks to go outside of Upwork before that is a scam.

Also, do not accept payment outside of Upwork. Even if the client has paid before, they can always decide they've had enough work out of you and stop paying.

There are many, many, many scams on Upwork, at least in the Editing/Proofreading category. I think as many as 1/4 to 1/2 of the job listings are scams. And about half of the ones who respond to my proposals are scams. (Those are the ones that got past my “possible scam” radar.”) 

Things I learned to look for:

1. Explaining that the job hours are flexible and that the job can be done at home or that you can still work at another job or take care of your family. That is what freelancing is. They don't have to explain it.

2. Asking for entry level freelancers but paying way more than entry level rates.

3. Having a huge payment range, for example, $15 to $50 per hour. If they offer you a job, it will be for near the top of the range.

4. Talking about how you are going to be working with other people in their organization.

5. Talking about how you will need to learn their company policies and standards and follow them.

6. Saying a lot but not describing the job in detail.

7. Interviewing a lot of people, especially if that happens shortly after posting the job.

8. Sending you a message telling you to reply to them through Telegraph or Telegram.

9. Giving you a link to click on for the job description. (Don't) Even if you copy and paste the link into your browser, there is no information on it.

10. Having become a client a few days ago, at most.

11. Having no other job posts.

12. Anything else that doesn't feel right.

Do not hesitate to "Flag as Inappropriate." This link can be found on the right side, near the top when you click on the job title.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members