Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telling client how to update fee

bontemps
Ace Contributor
Rai B Member Since: Jul 24, 2015
1 of 10

I have a client who want to change the amount he will pay me but is asking me how. Of course he could ask help desk but people can be useless so better I direct him.

Any links or advice I can tell him how to do it? Simple terms so he has no excuse to keep asking me.

thanks

dreamseller
Community Guru
Delwar H Member Since: Jan 30, 2015
2 of 10

If it is a fixed priced job and the milestone is funded full amount agreed, ask your client to approve the milestone. He can edit the amount while approving it. Then he can ask for a refund remaining balance from Escrow, you will get a notification and upon your approval, the money will be returned to your client. 

Hope this helps. 

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 10

@Rai B wrote:

I have a client who want to change the amount he will pay me but is asking me how. Of course he could ask help desk but people can be useless so better I direct him.

Any links or advice I can tell him how to do it? Simple terms so he has no excuse to keep asking me.

Fixed rate, presumably? He can do one of three things:

1) Release the current milestone and set up an additional one

2) When releasing the current milestone, change the amount to reflect the new one

3) When ending the contract, include a Bonus.

What the client can NOT do is increase the amount in Escrow for a current milestone, or add a second milestone while the current one is still not released.

ravi_iitian
Community Guru
Ravindra B Member Since: Sep 27, 2015
4 of 10

@Petra R wrote:

@Rai B wrote:

Fixed rate, presumably? He can do one of three things:

2) When releasing the current milestone, change the amount to reflect the new one

What the client can NOT do is increase the amount in Escrow for a current milestone, or add a second milestone while the current one is still not released.

Can the client reduce the amount funded against a milestone?

Suppose I have just one milestone funded with $500.

Can the client reduce that amount after I submit the work while he is releasing the current milestone?

"Certa bonum certamen"
petra_r
Community Guru
5 of 10

@Ravindra B wrote:

@Petra R wrote:

Can the client reduce the amount funded against a milestone?

Suppose I have just one milestone funded with $500.

Can the client reduce that amount before (or even after) I submit the work?

Yes, the remainder stays in Escrow and can be used against the next milestone.

ravi_iitian
Community Guru
6 of 10

Thank you, Petra.

What if there is only ONE milestone, and I have completed the job (say copyediting).

Can the client still reduce that amount after I submit the work while he is releasing the current milestone?

That way he/she could get a $500 job done for $1.

"Certa bonum certamen"
cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
7 of 10

@Ravindra B wrote:

Thank you, Petra.

What if there is only ONE milestone, and I have completed the job (say copyediting).

Can the client still reduce that amount after I submit the work while he is releasing the current milestone?

Ravindra, if that happens then the $499 remaining is still in escrow. If the client tries to close the contract with funds in escrow, the freelancer is asked to approve the refund. They can decline the refund request, which will take it to a dispute.

ravi_iitian
Community Guru
8 of 10

@Jennifer D wrote:

@Ravindra B wrote:

Thank you, Petra.

Ravindra, if that happens then the $499 remaining is still in escrow. If the client tries to close the contract with funds in escrow, the freelancer is asked to approve the refund. They can decline the refund request, which will take it to a dispute.

And if the full budget is not funded (as below), then the client can walk anytime he/she wants.

RL.png

"Certa bonum certamen"
petra_r
Community Guru
9 of 10

@Ravindra B wrote:

@Jennifer D wrote:

@Ravindra B wrote:

Thank you, Petra.

And if the full budget is not funded (as below), then the client can walk anytime he/she wants.

RL.png

What isn't funded is never protected, which is why we always tell people not to submit work against unfunded milestones, because as far as getting paid for them is concerned, they are meaningless.

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
10 of 10

Hi Rai,

I'm sorry about the late follow up, I see Petra and other users already shared the requested information with you. You can also direct your client to communicate with Customer Support and our team will guide them through the process.

Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS