Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible website, terrible service and terrible all around

Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
21 of 27

Joshua L wrote:

This site is terrible. Thank you for confirming.

Well...bye.

Community Guru
Joan S Member Since: Mar 18, 2019
22 of 27

Joshua - It seems to me that you might have had better luck with working on Upwork if you had a better profile and maybe better proposals. What I mean is, instead of talking so much about yourself, you might have given and shown all the great things you could do for a client. So, because of your profile and maybe your proposals, you are blaming Upwork and other freelancers for your own shortcomings.

Community Guru
Jamie F Member Since: Mar 7, 2010
23 of 27

The people that it does not work for are those who cannot/will not make it work.

Community Guru
24 of 27

Jamie F wrote:

The people that it does not work for are those who cannot/will not make it work.

I don't believe he cares about that at all.  To me it is evident that he only really cares that Upwork does not work for him and wants to feel that it is not his failure but that it instead systematic, and to his point, the system is not perfect.  He certainly doesn't want to hear "you are doing it wrong".  He also appears to be trying to position himself as a crusader and, at least for me, it's not working.

The funny thing is, I don't disagree with some of the things he is saying, I am just disagreeing with the way he is saying it.  The fact is there are too many lowball clients.  I believe that, at least in part, is caused by  too many people willing to do things regardless of cost because they are desperate for the work.  I think there is a chance he is one of them.  That he took jobs that diminished his rate because he took fixed rate projects that probably worked out to small fractions of his published rate.  If I am right then he, in my opinion, is part of the problem.

But this is a market and this is how a market works.  Not every client is my client.  Not every project is my project.  Sometimes I have to look at a client, who let's be honest wants their work for free if they can get it, and convince them that what they really want is success and for that you have to pay for it.

Nobody gave me my clients.  I wasn't lucky.  I made an argument and convinced them that I was worth it and then I backed it up by delivering results.  

But that wasn't his experience, not his beliefs, and I don't know why.  The reality is this site does not work for the vast majority of the people who come here.  But where we disagree is, I don't think it is the site's fault in the overwhelming majority of cases.

Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
25 of 27

Mark F wrote:

Jamie F wrote:

I don't believe he cares about that at all.  To me it is evident that he only really cares that Upwork does not work for him and wants to feel that it is not his failure but that it instead systematic, and to his point, the system is not perfect.  He certainly doesn't want to hear "you are doing it wrong".  He also appears to be trying to position himself as a crusader and, at least for me, it's not working.

The funny thing is, I don't disagree with some of the things he is saying, I am just disagreeing with the way he is saying it.  The fact is there are too many lowball clients.  I believe that, at least in part, is caused by  too many people willing to do things regardless of cost because they are desperate for the work.  I think there is a chance he is one of them.  That he took jobs that diminished his rate because he took fixed rate projects that probably worked out to small fractions of his published rate.  If I am right then he, in my opinion, is part of the problem.

But this is a market and this is how a market works.  Not every client is my client.  Not every project is my project.  Sometimes I have to look at a client, who let's be honest wants their work for free if they can get it, and convince them that what they really want is success and for that you have to pay for it.

Nobody gave me my clients.  I wasn't lucky.  I made an argument and convinced them that I was worth it and then I backed it up by delivering results.  

But that wasn't his experience, not his beliefs, and I don't know why.  The reality is this site does not work for the vast majority of the people who come here.  But where we disagree is, I don't think it is the site's fault in the overwhelming majority of cases.

Just quoting you to say this is spot on. 

Also, I don't think UpWork made the promise to every freelancer that joins that they would make a full living through UpWork. What you make of it is up to you. For some people it will be a good source of income, for others it won't, but it doesn't mean UpWork Bad, Me Good, because it doesn't work for me (it does work for me though). Why someone can't just be okay walking away from something that isn't a good fit for them but has to put down the entire system makes me think there are other problems in their business. It wasn't a good fit for you, that's okay, go find a tool that will be a good fit. I don't think UpWork is obligated to find anyone work. 

Is UpWork perfect, no. Nothing ever is. Can you make it work for you? Sure, if you're willing to use it the way it's meant to be used. I think a lot of complaints are from people who want UpWork to be something it's not. 

Community Guru
26 of 27

Amanda L wrote:

Mark F wrote:

Jamie F wrote:

Just quoting you to say this is spot on. 

Also, I don't think UpWork made the promise to every freelancer that joins that they would make a full living through UpWork. What you make of it is up to you. For some people it will be a good source of income, for others it won't, but it doesn't mean UpWork Bad, Me Good, because it doesn't work for me (it does work for me though). Why someone can't just be okay walking away from something that isn't a good fit for them but has to put down the entire system makes me think there are other problems in their business. It wasn't a good fit for you, that's okay, go find a tool that will be a good fit. I don't think UpWork is obligated to find anyone work. 

Is UpWork perfect, no. Nothing ever is. Can you make it work for you? Sure, if you're willing to use it the way it's meant to be used. I think a lot of complaints are from people who want UpWork to be something it's not. 

And I am just quoting you back because you are spot on.  I don't like something, I just walk away.  The only thing I can think is they believe they were treated poorly in some fashion.

Scott S Member Since: Feb 18, 2019
27 of 27

Nothing works for everyone 100% of the time. I am new to Upwork so I started out bidding low to attract clients. I refined my profile, portfolio images and the cover letter until it was effective and  I got some clients. I built my Upwork business gradully until now I have a 100% JSS and am a top rated Upwork service provider. Nothing happens overnight but for those that are patient, work hard and ACT PROFESSIONAL (Are you listening) it will happen.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS