Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The LONG way home

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Anil N Member Since: Aug 21, 2013
1 of 8

Hello,

The Upwork basic membership for contractors, offers 60 free connects per month with each job application requiring 2 connects.

Would it not be simpler to offer 30 free connects per month and need 1 connect for each application?

Am I missing something?

Regards,

Anil Nath

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ramon B Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
2 of 8

But 60 is a bigger number than 30. Clearly if you had 30 then, even if it only cost one connect to bid, you'd still have considerably fewer connects.

My solution, raise the connects to 60,000 with a minimum bid of 2000 - more credits for everyone!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
3 of 8

Also, if bids are dollar-weighted, it might cost more connects to bid on one job. 

(If it isn't already in existence, I'm sure this is one feature that will be carried over from Elance. Smiley Wink)

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Ray C Member Since: Apr 10, 2009
4 of 8

@Nichola L wrote:

Also, if bids are dollar-weighted, it might cost more connects to bid on one job. 

(If it isn't already in existence, I'm sure this is one feature that will be carried over from Elance. Smiley Wink)

Just curious, has anyone ever SEEN a job post that required only 1 "connect"? 

Highlighted
Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
5 of 8

Upwork moderators have mentioned a number of times that eventually the number of connects necessary to apply for a job will vary depending on the job. Some are supposed to be worth one connect while other jobs may go up to three or four (and maybe higher).

I don't know when they are going to implement this, but it will probably happen in the near future.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Lyam B Member Since: Nov 3, 2014
6 of 8

When they first launched Connects, oDesk said jobs would vary between 1 and 5 Connects giving someone the potential to apply for 60 jobs per month or 12 jobs per month. 

I don't think this has been implemented yet, but when it is: I hope proper variables will be taken into consideration when deciding what the costs of Connects should be.

Personally, I think Connect cost should be on the lines of:

• First time client - no Connects required
  • Budget of contract (less budget, less Connects) - could be exploited though
  • The length of the contract (shorter contract, less Connects) - could be exploited though

For example, applying for a job that pays $5 should require only 1 Connect, whereas a job (from a reputable, credible client) with a budget of $2,000 should require 5 Connects, etc...

Those are my ideas, anyway.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Weera P Member Since: Sep 11, 2013
7 of 8

Hi,

60 connects are enough for a solo developer/month and it is scaleable. One developer can't work more than two projects.

Thanks,.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Anil N Member Since: Aug 21, 2013
8 of 8

Thank you all for contributing with the information. That clears it up.

Regards,

Anil Nath

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS