cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The client changed the requirements which initially provided with the offer (flat rate contract)

alekseevpavel78
Community Leader
Paul T Member Since: Sep 4, 2015
1 of 20

Hi,

I just want to share my experience but if you know the solution for similar situation please describe.

----

Yesterday I started the contract which the client described like a “super simple video intro" - easy job with small budget – usually, I try to avoid similar contracts... I don't know why I started with this one...

After I accepted the contract he just provided me with a lot of suggestions and requirements – after that, the task stopped to look as "super simple" project... on the opposite, the client started to generate ideas... a lot of ideas after each revision... I finished the task, and the client got the thing which he wanted to have (the client always right?)... almost for free...

So, the problem in this situation is that any freelancer on Upwork is unable to stop a rat race like this without negative impact to his/her JSS. In my real office, I could kick out the client like this one anytime because he started to break the terms of the contract. But on Upwork my JSS becomes a hostage of the situation every time I start with the contract – I can do nothing here, just smiling and keep going with the contract.

As I stated earlier, I believe JSS is the best system allowing to manipulate a freelancer, and dishonest customers use this option to the full!

mthornton-cpc
Community Guru
Melissa T Member Since: Dec 5, 2014
2 of 20

Pavel, this is what we call controlling scope creep. It's up to the freelancer to do it. When I see a client starting to go out of bounds on the agreed upon job requirements, I explain that the added features/work/revisions/etc. are out of the scope of the project, but I'd be happy to complete that addtional work if the client will set up a milestone for $X. 

alekseevpavel78
Community Leader
3 of 20

@Melissa T wrote:

When I see a client starting to go out of bounds on the agreed upon job requirements, I explain that the added features/work/revisions/etc. are out of the scope of the project, but I'd be happy to complete that addtional work if the client will set up a milestone for $X. 

What would you do when you see that the client not going to set up the new milestones and increase the budget?

mthornton-cpc
Community Guru
Melissa T Member Since: Dec 5, 2014
4 of 20

@Pavel T wrote:

What would you do when you see that the client not going to set up the new milestones and increase the budget?

I'd explain that I enjoyed the work up to that point, but couldn't continue working on out of scope tasks unless they were included in the job requirements and an additional milestone was created for them. If the client understood, great. If the client was just crappy and trying to get more work out of me than s/he paid for (seems to be your case) I'd professionally explain that I've completed the agreed upon job requirements with utmost quality, the scope has increased based on additional tasks, and I need to be paid for that additional work or will have to deliver what was completed and wish her/him good luck on the next phase of the job with another freelancer. 

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
5 of 20

You have to be really careful about people who describe a job as simple. It's usually a red flag.

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
6 of 20

Don't think I've ever bid on a job that goes something like "this should take no more than xx minutes for an expert", but if I *were* to bid on one, I'd make the client agree before I accept the offer that if it does take more than xx minutes, another milestone will be created for the additional time needed.

7 of 20

@John K wrote:

Don't think I've ever bid on a job that goes something like "this should take no more than xx minutes for an expert", but if I *were* to bid on one, I'd make the client agree before I accept the offer that if it does take more than xx minutes, another milestone will be created for the additional time needed.

yes, it looks like some solution before you start with the contract and if your client is honest one...

but if you already "there" due to JSS you have no way to jump from a moving train...

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
8 of 20

I'm not going to work for free just because someone threatens my JSS. If the client leaves visible negative feedback, I I will respond explaining that scope creep occurred. But I'm not going to keep working for someone just because I fear their review. 

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
9 of 20

and we got top rated perk now wheeeee!

I used mine in Feb, so it's up again for me yayyy. I can be more daring!

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
10 of 20

@John K wrote:

I also avoid those. If the client is certain it is easy, they are already signaling their lack of appreciation for your expertise. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS