🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » The client paid half amount of the milestone ...
Page options
hassanmushtaq169
Community Member

The client paid half amount of the milestone and rest is unpaid.

My client set only one milestone against a fixed price job. Once the work was completed and submitted for the payment, he approved the milestone with half of the agreed amount and the rest is still unpaid but I can't locate it anywhere in the 'Job in Progress' or 'Under Review' section. Is there any way to address this issue as there might be a chance that my client has done it mistakenly?
However, I have requested him to add a new milestone and pay the rest amount which was supposed to be paid with the 1st milestone as agreed. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It means the client funded the milestone in full, but released only half. The rest is now floating in escrow and not attached to a milestone. The client needs to create a new milestone (or you can propose one) to get that money back into a milestone, then activate it, so you can get paid. You should see the money on the contract under "Milestones & Earnings" > "In Escrow" (if it was indeed originally funded)

in escrow.png

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
prestonhunter
Community Member

The client funded a milestone.

You did the work for that task.

The client released that escrow payment to you.

The matter is now over.

Clients are not obligated to create new milestones.

You were paid for the work that you did, the work specified in the task agreement for the original milestone.

If you think the client may have accidentally paid you less than he intended to, you may ask him to pay you using the client-side “Send bonus” tool, or he create a new milestone. But he is not obligated to do so.

If you did work BEYOND what the first escrow payment covered, then it was you - the freelancer - who used Upwork incorrectly. Not the client.

Hi, 
Thanks for the reply. 
I have already clarified that the full payment (say $100) for one milestone was not paid which was already funded but only half of it ($50) was paid and the rest he kept in the funded section. Now, the milestone is showing complete but the payment in that specific milestone is still in the unpaid section. 
That's where the issue is coming as I can't locate in my reports. 

It means the client funded the milestone in full, but released only half. The rest is now floating in escrow and not attached to a milestone. The client needs to create a new milestone (or you can propose one) to get that money back into a milestone, then activate it, so you can get paid. You should see the money on the contract under "Milestones & Earnings" > "In Escrow" (if it was indeed originally funded)

in escrow.png

2e395a62
Community Member

So, even if the client funds the milestone properly, the freelancer submits the work, the client still has a chance to pay only a part of that milestone to the freelancer and the rest stays in the escrow, right? Can the client just withdraw the unpaid part from escrow and walk away without ever looking back, leaving the freelancer soaking up with tears?

Exactly, 
This is the point where a freelancer can do nothing about it. I mean if there are milestones options, why there is a chance that he can still pay half of the milestone? The purpose of paying in milestones has already vanished here. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members